2022 UFAs, Who do Sabres have a chance at

North Buffalo

Colin White getting bought out by the Senators.

That’s a guy I would look hard at on low-term overpay to be Eakin’s replacement.

When healthy, he’s a good 3C. 

Just 25, has a good reputation and I believe he was with Donnie at the USNDP.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That’s a guy I would look hard at on low-term overpay to be Eakin’s replacement.

Honest question.  If he’s a good 3C, why is a team that doesn’t have depth buying him out?

Edited by Weave

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wouldn't be afraid to give him term on a reasonable deal if he was interested. He could anchor the 4th line as you say and be a serviceable fill in on the 3rd line if needed. I'd first make Andrew Copp my best offer possible and when he turns that down call up White's agent for plan B. 

I heard he wants to play in Montreal though but that was just a rumour. 

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

Honest question.  If he’s a good 3C, why is a team that doesn’t have depth buying him out?

His contract was really bad for his positional depth and next year his buyout became 2/3rds versus this year's 1/3rd

He was at 3x4.75 as a 3/4C

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Weave said:

Because he was drastically overpaid and injury-prone - 3 more years at 4.75 and he’s only played 125 games over the first 3 years of what was a 6-year deal.

Also, since he is 25, it’s the last year that the team can buy him out for 1/3 the cost of his contract, instead of the 2/3s required for veterans.

They save about $10 million in real money and only get an $875,000 cap hit.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Because he was drastically overpaid and injury-prone - 3 more years at 4.75 and he’s only played 125 games over the first 3 years of what was a 6-year deal.

Also, since he is 25, it’s the last year that the team can buy him out for 1/3 the cost of his contract, instead of the 2/3s required for veterans.

They save about $10 million in real money and only get an $875,000 cap hit.

Good Answer 👏👏👏

On 5/1/2022 at 10:43 AM, JohnC said:

From the player's standpoint I just don't see him having an interest in coming here. If he is going to continue on with his long career, it is more likely that he would want to go to a team that is a serious cup contender. I'm not arguing that I wouldn't like to have him on this team because he is the type of player/person who you would want in the locker room and in net for you. Everyone who has had any association with him raves about him not only as a player but also a person. In Tuch's end of season interview he cited Fleury for being a wonderful mentor for him in Vegas. I just think that the Sabres are maybe one year away from being the caliber of team he would want to join. 

All he has to do is find a cup contender with no starting goalie...with lots of cap space.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

All he has to do is find a cup contender with no starting goalie...with lots of cap space.

I have no clue where Fleury is going to sign. Would he take a discount contract to go to a contender, even as a backup? Or is he trying to get as much $$$ as he can as he career reaches the end of the line? I can't say for sure. But I just don't see him coming to Buffalo because I don't believe the GM is going to pay him at the level where it would be his worthwhile to come here. My sense is that the GM prefers spending at best mid-tier money for a goalie he eventually brings in. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have no clue where Fleury is going to sign. Would he take a discount contract to go to a contender, even as a backup? Or is he trying to get as much $$$ as he can as he career reaches the end of the line? I can't say for sure. But I just don't see him coming to Buffalo because I don't believe the GM is going to pay him at the level where it would be his worthwhile to come here. My sense is that the GM prefers spending at best mid-tier money for a goalie he eventually brings in. 

Unlike the NFL, cap space doesn't roll over. So I don't see the problem with giving MAF 10 for 2. But GMKA isn't giving anyone a big number for 4+. We're all just guessing what he'll do.

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Unlike the NFL, cap space doesn't roll over. So I don't see the problem with giving MAF 10 for 2. But GMKA isn't giving anyone a big number for 4+. We're all just guessing what he'll do.

I agree that we are all guessing on what the GM is going to do on this issue. My inclination is that he isn't giving any goalie $5 M per year even on a two year deal. 

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And I say there is no point to saving cap space this year or next.

From a salary cap issue, it certainly wouldn’t handcuff them in coming years. That said, that “cap space” (unlike the NFL) is real money and would need to leave Terry’s checking account. He’s the one making the financial decisions, not KA. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

From a salary cap issue, it certainly wouldn’t handcuff them in coming years. That said, that “cap space” (unlike the NFL) is real money and would need to leave Terry’s checking account. He’s the one making the financial decisions, not KA. 

Given the current price of natural gas, I think Lord Terrence's bank ledger looks fine.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And I say there is no point to saving cap space this year or next.

The Sabres are going to be at or near the bottom of cap expenditures. I have no problem with that because even as a lower expenditure team they can still make the few beneficial additions that will better round out the roster. Most people agree that the priority is getting a goalie. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres are going to be at or near the bottom of cap expenditures. I have no problem with that because even as a lower expenditure team they can still make the few beneficial additions that will better round out the roster. Most people agree that the priority is getting a goalie. 

I just see MAF as the goalie that fits the Sabres best.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I just see MAF as the goalie that fits the Sabres best.

Probably so. Wanting and getting something are two different issues. Getting a goalie such as MAF would certainly energize the fan base and bring in a lot more customers to the arena. The thought of Marty Biron interviewing MAF is a delightful thought. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You know, if we're a cap floor team and that's the impression out there, nobody good will sign here unless it's a HUGE overpayment they can't say no to, as we will not be viewed as a serious contender or even a team trying to become a serious contender. 

Money for FA's is going to dry up quickly. Leaving a lot of good players fighting for the scraps left over.

I think patience will be key here, plus anything we can pick up along side of helping teams with their salary cap issues

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.