Is Tage Thompson better than Jack Eichel?

LGR4GM

Anyone who thinks that Tage is a better player than Jack is making their judgment with a hometown bias. Jack is a much more dynamic player than Tage will ever be. Jack was out of hockey for more than a year and underwent surgery to his neck. How he is currently player after his return now is nowhere near how much better he will be next year after having an offseason. There is a lot of animosity toward Jack that clouds people's view of him as a person and player. However, from a talent standpoint he is a top tier player in this league while Tage is showing that he is a good player in this league. The one advantage I would give Tage is his shooting accuracy. Although Jack has a harder shot Tage has a more accurate shot. 

I said this before so I apologize for the redundancy. The best thing that happened to Jack is that he got traded. And the best thing that happened to this organization is that it got a reasonable return for him that allowed this franchise to reset and accelerate the rebuild. And to bring up another Jack issue how much better or not would this team be with Jack being healthy and playing with Granato as his coach? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

No, but he does have a more lethal and accurate shot.  

Jack has been a pt a game player since age 22.  Tage, 24, even with his breakout season still isn’t there.  He is a good passer but not on Jack’s level.  He also isn’t as fast. 

Ultimately, if Jack can stay healthy, I can see Jack putting up a 90 - 95 pt season.  I don’t see Tage reaching those heights. 

• Like (+1) 2

As someone posted above, it is great that this is even a conversation. Tage has had a great year, and I do not think it is a fluke at all.

I will say this, I have the impression that the players probably like Tage better than JE as a teammate.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Tage has better g/60 and a/60 numbers this season. 

That’s not a fair comparison considering the surgery Jack is recovering from.  Assuming both are healthy next season, that will be a more reasonable comparison.

I like the ROR comparison better.  I also would ask knowing what we know now, would we be better off with Thomas, Kyrou or Thompson as the compensation for ROR?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

There are so many factors which make a direct comparison difficult.  One thing that does come to mind is that Skinner had success with both Jack and Tage.  What would be interesting to me is how would Jack play with Skinner and Tuch today and how good he would be.  Perhaps getting Stone back may provide some insight as to how Jack plays with a good power forward.

My answer is No.   Tage is not “better” than Jack.  He never has been.   Tage falls into the “good prospect and late bloomer” category.  He can become a star player in the NHL, and he is on his way right now.  

Jack is expected to be a superstar. A difference maker.  Elite.   We have seen flashes,  but I dare to say he is not there yet

Tage has elevated his game a lot for this conversation to even happen.  If he can string  8-10 good years in he may have agreat career.  Maybe he will possess the longevity of an Andreychuck type of player?   He has the size and similar temperament. 

Eichel has had injuries to deal with and a bit of controversy surrounding his character. 

I have to say I’m happy with the trade thus far.  I think we know what we have with Tuch, a player and a presence that we badly needed. Krebs is more critical, his development is key.   The 1st rounder is also a critical piece, especially if Vegas misses the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Anyone who thinks that Tage is a better player than Jack is making their judgment with a hometown bias. Jack is a much more dynamic player than Tage will ever be. Jack was out of hockey for more than a year and underwent surgery to his neck. How he is currently player after his return now is nowhere near how much better he will be next year after having an offseason. There is a lot of animosity toward Jack that clouds people's view of him as a person and player. However, from a talent standpoint he is a top tier player in this league while Tage is showing that he is a good player in this league. The one advantage I would give Tage is his shooting accuracy. Although Jack has a harder shot Tage has a more accurate shot. 

I said this before so I apologize for the redundancy. The best thing that happened to Jack is that he got traded. And the best thing that happened to this organization is that it got a reasonable return for him that allowed this franchise to reset and accelerate the rebuild. And to bring up another Jack issue how much better or not would this team be with Jack being healthy and playing with Granato as his coach? 

Aren't we also showing bias with Eichel? He was declared a "generational talent" at his draft. Has he lived up to that status yet?

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s not a fair comparison considering the surgery Jack is recovering from.  Assuming both are healthy next season, that will be a more reasonable comparison.

I like the ROR comparison better.  I also would ask knowing what we know now, would we be better off with Thomas, Kyrou or Thompson as the compensation for ROR?

Start a thread. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

What does Eichel bring that is dynamic in comparison to Tage