Offseason Gameplan 2022 - Solving the goaltending system wide.

GASabresIUFAN

Who will be the goaltenders next season  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be UPL's partner next season

• Anderson
    • DeSmith
    • Dreidger
    • Hellybuyck
    • Comrie
    • MAF
    • Hotlby
    • Husso
    • A Russian RFA like Samsonov or Georgiev
    • Other
  2. 2. Who will be the 2 goalies in Rochester (Pick 2)

• Houser
    • Tokarski
    • UPL
    • Subban
    • Dell
    • Other

20 hours ago, steveoath said:

According to dadonovfriendly CH does not have any clauses in his contract.

You'll need to buy that domain name.

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Given the Portillo status, the Vegas 1st and Portillo is like the Vegas first and nothing.   I doubt Winnipeg is going to be attractive to Portillo and they know it.  

I prefer to offer the Florida 1st and another expendable asset.  The Vegas first is going to be valuable.  

True. I can't see a GM (other than GMTM) trading a pick for a college athlete who clearly could easily walk after the next season. It wouldn't be prudent. It'd be called "pulling a Vesey".

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, jsb said:

Yes because he had nothing else to worry about except a player and agent who apparently went back on his word and played the game of who'll give me the best offer sheet. Such as the Captain of the team starting a mutiny on the team, a majority of the veterans all wanting out, a coach that had no idea what he was doing or able to recognize the young talent he had on the team, a fanbase stopped buying season tickets and an epidemic that was changing the league and the way everyone was doing things/business. So although he changed things for the better in all of these matters except getting blindsided by a JAG GK and having to go to plan C on that, he has poor foresight and judgement?? Thank goodness I won't have you to judge me at the pearly gates. 

Your recollection of the situation is scrambled nonsense. How could Captain Jack be involved in a mutiny when he wasn't with the team? If you believe that it was his lingering spirit sabotaging the locker room, then maybe you have been watching too many Ghostbuster movies! The idea that that the GM got blindsided by an UFA goalie is utter nonsense. How can you be blindsided when your UFA player has not signed a contract? 

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

You'll need to buy that domain name.

True. I can't see a GM (other than GMTM) trading a pick for a college athlete who clearly could easily walk after the next season. It wouldn't be prudent. It'd be called "pulling a Vesey".

Vesey and even Fox came out and said they weren’t signing with the draft teams. As far as I know, Portillo hasn’t done this (yet). 

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

Vesey and even Fox came out and said they weren’t signing with the draft teams. As far as I know, Portillo hasn’t done this (yet). 

It will be interesting to see how the Ullmark situation affects how Adams handles this.

It seems Adams did not trade Ullmark because he believed he would be able to re-sign him. (I'm not saying Ullmark misled him).

If Portillo sends similar signals does he trust them again?

23 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I wonder if Adams is reconsidering his not taking a goaltender in the last draft? Both the good ones were available and he took that skinny kid instead. 

Adams added Levi which is why he probably was very comfortable passing on Cossa and Wallstedt

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Adams added Levi which is why he probably was very comfortable passing on Cossa and Wallstedt

This makes sense to me.  Fast forward to 2022, going forward I would like to see GMKA target selection of at least 1 goalie every draft going forward.  Whether it is a high draft pick, mid rounds, or later....I'd like to see a goalie included in each draft class at least until there is a good pipeline in place.

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

The good thing for the Sabres is Portillo is very close friends with Dahlin and at the least, knows Power well.  He can also sign next year, after the college season, and burn one year of the ELC which he can't do if he signs elsewhere

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Yes, but now we probably have lost out on all of them. Levi and Portillo are in all likelihood gone, right? 

No not right.  Levi was very explicit when he said in a recent interview that he wants to play here after one more year at NE.  I haven’t heard anything about Johnson or Portillo not wanting to play for the Sabres.

Remember only one drafted college player hasn’t ultimately signed with the Sabres and that was Petersen.  

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No not right.  Levi was very explicit when he said in a recent interview that he wants to play here after one more year at NE.  I haven’t heard anything about Johnson or Portillo not wanting to play for the Sabres.

Remember only one drafted college player hasn’t ultimately signed with the Sabres and that was Petersen.  

Plus...as Darth stated above....there is the Vesey factor, where we didn't draft him, but traded for his rights.  Hard to believe we ended up sacrificing 2 3rd rounders to get him to play a whopping 64 games for us.  

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Won’t they all just be free agents after next season? 

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Your recollection of the situation is scrambled nonsense. How could Captain Jack be involved in a mutiny when he wasn't with the team? If you believe that it was his lingering spirit sabotaging the locker room, then maybe you have been watching too many Ghostbuster movies! The idea that that the GM got blindsided by an UFA goalie is utter nonsense. How can you be blindsided when your UFA player has not signed a contract? 

I don't want to sound antagonistic but lets review the end of last season, the exit interview and the beginning of this year. 

1. Do you really think the Captain of the team was not throwing total negativity with and to the team by not showing up to if not all the vast majority of the games the last couple of months?? That as Captain he should have been there to show respect and kinship to his teammates and that didn't have at the very least a negative impact on the team atmosphere??
  2. When he addressed the media in the exit interview, he didn't show any positivity to Granato the new coach but made a point to say how great a man and coach Kreuger was and that didn't resonate in the locker room and team??
  3. When KA and the team made reference to guys who want to be here, that wasn't directed at JE and other vets??
  4. That the team culture and camaraderie hasn't been exponentially improved since he left?? 
  5. That the team is suddenly hanging out together and showing everybody support as opposed to last year isn't indirectly pointing at JE and his attitude and nobody in the locker room noticed before??
  6. How Granato speaks highly of the leadership of Girgs and Okposo at every chance he gets and that isn't directed at JE??
  7. As for Ullmark, do you really think KA had not been speaking indirectly to his agent during the season and was convinced he was wanting to come back and what the parameters of a deal they were looking at?? That he wasn't surprised not by the agent passing around the contract but the NO MOVE CLAUSE had nothing to do with not accepting it??
  8. Maybe my recollection shouldn't be in question here.
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

No, not unless they graduate early.  A team has 5 years to sign a college track player.  If they play USHL for a year after the draft, a NHL team has 4 years in college to hold onto their rights. If they go straight to college it's still 5 years.  The player must be signed by August 15th of the 5th year or they become a free agent. The exception is if they graduate early and therefore give up their NCAA eligibility.  Then it's August 15th of the year they graduate.

As to Levi, he has 3 year of eligibility left and is only in year 2 from being drafted.

Portillo was drafted 3 seasons ago and has two seasons of college eligibility left.

On the other hand, Johnson will be a senior next season and in theory could bolt as a FA, but even that is rare.  More common now then a decade ago but still rare.  I'm not sure how the Covid rules affected NCAA hockey eligibility, but at a minimum the Sabres have only one more season to sign Johnson.  In theory because of COVID it could actually be two.   

College kids who bolt from their teams mostly jump because of bad relationships with the team that drafted them (like Butcher with Colorado) or coming into a crowded situation for playing time.  Petersen left the Sabres because of both bad communication and Lehner, Ullmark and Johansson already in the rotation.

By Dahlin moving to the right side, it really opens up a slot for Johnson.  Also we have no LHD prospects in Rochester.   Johnson, as far as I know, hasn't said he is returning to college.   

I hope this helps.

PS lets say Johnson returns to college and plays a 4th season with the Gophers.  When that season is over, the Sabres still maintain his rights until August 15th.  This is the situation Nashville found itself in with Vesey when TM acquired his rights for a 3rd.  I honestly don't see the Johnson situation deteriorating to that point.  As I mentioned earlier, the Sabres are essentially opening a position for Johnson by moving Dahlin to the right side. (which Dahlin likes playing).  Also, unlike TM, KA's Sabres do a very good job of communicating with the players.  

This is what Levi recently said about the Sabres.

“They’re all really good people and good humans, which is kind of what they’re trying to build,” Levi said of the Sabres. “They’re trying to build an organization with good people and good culture. It’s good to hear, because I would like to take part in a team where the culture is unreal. … It sounds like a great place. Everyone is pretty close. All the guys are good teammates and they’re also good players, too. I’m looking forward to hopefully joining their organization.”

I doubt Portillo's and Johnson's experience is any different.  I'm also sure Power will give Portillo a full rundown of his experience playing for the team.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Yes, but now we probably have lost out on all of them. Levi and Portillo are in all likelihood gone, right? 

Personally I don't think either is gone. 

41 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

No. Devon Levi still has another full year of team control. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Personally I don't think either is gone. 

No. Devon Levi still has another full year of team control. 

2 for Portillo and 3 for Levi. It's 5 seasons from being drafted or when their college eligibility runs out, whichever is first.  Portillo is 3 years and 2 college seasons.  Levi is 2 years and one college season. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No, not unless they graduate early.  A team has 5 years to sign a college track player.  If they play USHL for a year after the draft, a NHL team has 4 years in college to hold onto their rights. If they go straight to college it's still 5 years.  The player must be signed by August 15th of the 5th year or they become a free agent. The exception is if they graduate early and therefore give up their NCAA eligibility.  Then it's August 15th of the year they graduate.

As to Levi, he has 3 year of eligibility left and is only in year 2 from being drafted.

Portillo was drafted 3 seasons ago and has two seasons of college eligibility left.

On the other hand, Johnson will be a senior next season and in theory could bolt as a FA, but even that is rare.  More common now then a decade ago but still rare.  I'm not sure how the Covid rules affected NCAA hockey eligibility, but at a minimum the Sabres have only one more season to sign Johnson.  In theory because of COVID it could actually be two.   

College kids who bolt from their teams mostly jump because of bad relationships with the team that drafted them (like Butcher with Colorado) or coming into a crowded situation for playing time.  Petersen left the Sabres because of both bad communication and Lehner, Ullmark and Johansson already in the rotation.

By Dahlin moving to the right side, it really opens up a slot for Johnson.  Also we have no LHD prospects in Rochester.   Johnson, as far as I know, hasn't said he is returning to college.   

I hope this helps.

PS lets say Johnson returns to college and plays a 4th season with the Gophers.  When that season is over, the Sabres still maintain his rights until August 15th.  This is the situation Nashville found itself in with Vesey when TM acquired his rights for a 3rd.  I honestly don't see the Johnson situation deteriorating to that point.  As I mentioned earlier, the Sabres are essentially opening a position for Johnson by moving Dahlin to the right side. (which Dahlin likes playing).  Also, unlike TM, KA's Sabres do a very good job of communicating with the players.  

“They’re all really good people and good humans, which is kind of what they’re trying to build,” Levi said of the Sabres. “They’re trying to build an organization with good people and good culture. It’s good to hear, because I would like to take part in a team where the culture is unreal. … It sounds like a great place. Everyone is pretty close. All the guys are good teammates and they’re also good players, too. I’m looking forward to hopefully joining their organization.”

I doubt Portillo's and Johnson's experience is any different.  I'm also sure Power will give Portillo a full rundown of his experience playing for the team.

It's 4 years. The CBA is quite clear on that. 

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

2 for Portillo and 3 for Levi. It's 5 seasons from being drafted or when their college eligibility runs out, whichever is first.  Portillo is 3 years and 2 college seasons.  Levi is 2 years and one college season. 

It's 4 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hope this helps.

This article as well as what has been widely reported by Wgr55 suggests that Portillo can become a UFA in August 2023 after 4 years total.  Even though only a Junior.  

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisconsin-badgers-mens-hockey/2014/3/19/5527430/nhl-cba-collective-bargaining-agreement-ncaa-hockey-players

Edited by Broken Ankles

Just now, Broken Ankles said:

This article as well as what has been widely reported by Wgr55 suggests that Portillo can become a UFA in August 2023 after year total. Even though only a Junior.  

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisconsin-badgers-mens-hockey/2014/3/19/5527430/nhl-cba-collective-bargaining-agreement-ncaa-hockey-players

Correct because the cba says you have into the 4th June after they are drafted as a 18yr of or the 3rd June of the are a 19yr old.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Broken Ankles said:

This article as well as what has been widely reported by Wgr55 suggests that Portillo can become a UFA in August 2023 after year total. Even though only a Junior.  

A NCAA athlete has 5 years to complete four seasons.  COVID added a 6th year.  Portillo is only a Sophomore and has 2 years left of eligibility unless he graduates early.  If he does, we have until August 15 of the year he graduates to sign him. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Correct because the cba says you have into the 4th June after they are drafted as a 18yr of or the 3rd June of the are a 19yr old.

That's only if he doesn't remain a bonafide college student.  In theory Portillo could finish next season and then drop out of school and that will change the time line.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

A NCAA athlete has 5 years to complete four seasons.  COVID added a 6th year.  Portillo is only a Sophomore and has 2 years left of eligibility unless he graduates early.  If he does, we have until August 15 of the year he graduates to sign him. 

Yes, but he can also decide to leave college at any point after the 4th June post draft and he'll become a ufa in 30 days. Hence why no one words it how you are. 

According to Article 8.6(c)(iv) in the CBA, the drafting club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the player is no longer a bona fide college student

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That's only if he doesn't remain a bonafide college student.  In theory Portillo could finish next season and then drop out of school and that will change the time line.

Yes, that's the issue. At any point after June 1st of 2023, Portillo can say he's leaving school and become a ufa within 30 days. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.