Erik Portillo returning to Michigan Per Friedman

Brawndo

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

The only reason he would walk away from the Sabres is if his play tails off and/or we have someone better that he would not start in front of, in which case, who cares.

He’s going to be a UFA with 32 NHL teams to choose from.  There are a million reasons why a UFA would choose one of the other 31 teams.

I can’t speak for the other pessimists, and I don’t think this means the franchise is doomed, but I don’t see how anyone could interpret this as anything other than the Sabres probably losing a very good prospect.  No more, no less.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Regardless of who he wants to sign with, if he’s waiting until the end of next year, what possible incentive could he have to just not wait a couple months and then sign with any number of teams, including the Sabres? Honestly, it would be pretty stupid of him not to wait.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, nfreeman said:

He’s going to be a UFA with 32 NHL teams to choose from.  There are a million reasons why a UFA would choose one of the other 31 teams.

I can’t speak for the other pessimists, and I don’t think this means the franchise is doomed, but I don’t see how anyone could interpret this as anything other than the Sabres probably losing a very good prospect.  No more, no less.  

Count me on team pessimism. I don't really understand it. Yes, bad eleven years, but the team is ascending, is building a young core, and clearly has a wide open opportunity at goalie.

Just now, SDS said:

Regardless of who he wants to sign with, if he’s waiting until the end of next year, what possible incentive could he have to just not wait a couple months and then sign with any number of teams, including the Sabres? Honestly, it would be pretty stupid of him not to wait.

This, of course, is entirely understandable. Do other teams routinely lose out on college prospects? 

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Count me on team pessimism. I don't really understand it. Yes, bad eleven years, but the team is ascending, is building a young core, and clearly has a wide open opportunity at goalie.

Would any 20 year old kid follow the Sabres as closely as we do to fully understand the opportunity in front of them. Or would they be like I was at 20 desperately looking for boobies to touch and some beers.  Maybe their agents take care of the former. 

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Would any 20 year old kid follow the Sabres as closely as we do to fully understand the opportunity in front of them. Or would they be like I was at 20 desperately looking for boobies to touch and some beers.  Maybe their agents take care of the former. 

The last thing he should want is an agent with boobies. Now beer is another thing. 

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Agreed. Plus, take a look behind at Levi. He knows his road is tougher here than somewhere else.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

The difficulty was these threads is that in the absence of real information, people are free to fill in the blanks with whatever they want.

game of thrones you know nothing GIF

It will play itself out. Until it does…🤷

There is literally no downside to him waiting a couple more months. Quite frankly, if he doesn't wait, I’d question his decision making ability. He gets option A plus the next 20 options at the cost of a summer vacation. 

Just now, SDS said:

There is literally no downside to him waiting a couple more months. Quite frankly, if he doesn't wait, I’d question his decision making ability. He gets option A plus the next 20 options at the cost of a summer vacation. 

Not exactly true. If Buffalo signs him in April they can burn an elc year. 

11 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Is it just me or am I reading some illogical knee jerk reactions? Glad the kid is returning to college. Until he’s no longer Sabres property, he’s gonna develop and hopefully make the Amerks at the very least. Or is that hope illogical too?

A very wise man once told me that hope is not a plan.   The reactions you are reading are not entirely illogical, maybe they are knee jerk, but hope without action is less logical.  

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

Ugh.

The (over)reactions,… not him going back to college.

It does make for some entertaining coffee reading, though.

I suspect that the driver in his decision is he wants to finish school and put another year in.  But it puts the Sabres in a tough situation with only UPL signed and in the pipeline.    We want a legit prospect in Rochester.  

The Sabres need to add NHL goaltending to  advance next season. These college kids were not going to be contributing, but many fans are suspicious given this team recent past. 

4 hours ago, Radar said:

Drama queens are in abundance around here. What's the big deal with these guys staying in school?

The concerns voiced here are not drama, they are a representation of the thoughts and feelings of some of this teams loyal fan base. 

The big deal has little to do with these guys staying in school.   It is the growing frustration of too many years of inept management and irrelevance, numerous bad coaching and FO changes, talented players coming and going, and still no goalie prospects signed into the pipeline beyond UPL.  All leading to no fans in the seats. 

Today’s BN has a story on Levi.   It appears that Adams and his staff (and Pegula) are establishing a close relationship with Levi.  Not much out there on Portillo other than the hearsay that he likes school.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, SDS said:

LGR already pointed out the downside.

Beyond that, what if his life goals are to get his Michigan MBA, win the frozen 4 and to be a starting goalie in the NHL?

What if he’s got a great relationship with the Sabres and sees no established #1 or #2 in their system?

What if he’s decided he can pursue the first 2 now with the door still wide-open for the third a year from now with an organization he feels comfortable with?

Im not saying you’re wrong; I’m certain people around him will give him your advice, just as people around him almost certainly advised him to sign with Buffalo right now.

I am saying people are going to do what’s best for them and their values and preferences are not ours. I would hope that if he intends to explore UFA, he will have told the Sabres about his intentions. We will just have to wait and see.

• Like (+1) 1

From Devon Levi into todays Buffalo News.

“They’re trying to build an organization with good people and good culture. It’s good to hear, because I would like to take part in a team where the culture is unreal. … It sounds like a great place. Everyone is pretty close. All the guys are good teammates and they’re also good players, too. I’m looking forward to hopefully joining their organization.”

Feel better?

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-prospect-devon-levi-reflects-on-tough-decision-to-return-to-northeastern/article_09d9b4b2-b756-11ec-ac70-8fee378152d3.html

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Unfortunately very probably true. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

From Devon Levi into todays Buffalo News.

“They’re trying to build an organization with good people and good culture. It’s good to hear, because I would like to take part in a team where the culture is unreal. … It sounds like a great place. Everyone is pretty close. All the guys are good teammates and they’re also good players, too. I’m looking forward to hopefully joining their organization.”

Feel better?

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-prospect-devon-levi-reflects-on-tough-decision-to-return-to-northeastern/article_09d9b4b2-b756-11ec-ac70-8fee378152d3.html

Why would a quote from Levi, who has 2 years to go before UFA, affect how anyone feels about losing Portillo?

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Nothing new though, post-frozen 4, or post decision?

I thought you were looking for what his views are re the importance of his education.

Here is a link to your question to which I was responding:

Both of the articles that I provided demonstrate his views on that subject. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

LGR already pointed out the downside.

Beyond that, what if his life goals are to get his Michigan MBA, win the frozen 4 and to be a starting goalie in the NHL?

Excuse me, is this true? MBA’s are a graduate degree. I’m sure there are combined programs, but can’t see them being done in anything less than 5 years. 

Just now, kas23 said:

Excuse me, is this true? MBA’s are a graduate degree. I’m sure there are combined programs, but can’t see them being done in anything less than 5 years. 

I have no idea what his goals are. That was kinda my point.

I know he is in the Michigan business program and I know it would be easier to progress in his education as a full-time student rather than as a professional hockey player.

That's a crock.  He'll be a junior this year and will still need to finish his senior season of college, before even starting an MBA program.  Will he return to school for his senior season?  If not, why can't he study during the off-season like he would during what would have been his senior season?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.