Adams: no downside if Portillo & Johnson go back to college for another year

Buffalonill

This is silly.  I can’t see the sense in trying to read much into this.  It’s just Adams saying that he is ok with it if Johnson/Portillo decide to go back to school. My guess would be that if they feel going back is best for them Adams wants to support them in that decision.

• Like (+1) 4

15 hours ago, Curt said:

This is silly.  I can’t see the sense in trying to read much into this.  It’s just Adams saying that he is ok with it if Johnson/Portillo decide to go back to school. My guess would be that if they feel going back is best for them Adams wants to support them in that decision.

I don't understand why some people try so hard to turn innocuous comments into something else. It's kinda hilarious in it's own way that someone would think this 'doesn't make them feel welcome'. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I don't understand why some people try so hard to turn innocuous comments into something else. It's kinda hilarious in it's own way that someone would think this 'doesn't make them feel welcome'. 

Welcome to the board

• Like (+1) 2

Let's not forget, KA played 4 years at Miami University as a 1st round pick (3 after his draft year), so what else would you expect him to say?    

I view his own college experience as a huge positive.     He's been through it, he knows the steps required to transition from college to the pro game. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I understand why people are trying to read into KA’s statements. The team is generating some hopium right now, but we are a wounded fanbase suffering from a sports version of PTSD.  We have seen college kids reject us before (only one of our picks in Petersen - Vesey said he was always going to go UFA and TM traded for him anyway).  We have seen stars like Sam, Jack, and ROR say they want out and we’ve missed the playoffs for over a decade.  With that track record no wonder fans are worried that star college kids may want to find greener pastures.

However, the truth is the only drafted college kid that the Sabres wanted to keep who bolted is Petersen.  As others have pointed out, TM and his staff did a terrible job of communicating with the kid. Also goaltending wasn’t really an issue for us in 2017.  Lehner was here and Ullmark was almost ready in Rochester. Behind him we had Jonas Johansson, a former 3rd rd pick, just made the jump from Europe to the AHL in April 2017.  Crowded net for 2017/8 with starters Lehner (NHL), Ullmark (AHL) and JJ (ECHL).  So the Iowa native bolted to a Western team.  

If I’m a prospect goalie I’m thrilled with the situation in goal.  There is no real starter in Buffalo.  The only prospect is UPL and he is headed for a backup role in Buffalo.  That leaves clear openings in Roch and Cin.  With Levi staying in school, that means Portillo has a clear shot for the AHL starting gig.  

For Johnson the situation is more murky.  There is no road to the NHL on the left side and may never be with Power (19), Dahlin (22) and Samuelsson (22). However there is very beatable competition on the right side.  I doubt any of Jokiharju, Bryson, Pysyk or Fitz are real roadblocks if Johnson can effectively transition to the right side.  

I’m really not worried that any of the big 3 college prospects will reject the team. The team is turning around and creating legit positive vibe.  The developmental staff and GM are communicating with the kids well and there are clear avenues to playing time in Rochester and ultimately Buffalo for all three.  When they sign is probably the biggest issue. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This is a funny much ado about nothing thread. Sabres fans have gotten so pessimistic and antsy they'll jump on the slightest thing. These guys are the future, not the present, let them take whatever path they want. No guarantees everybody signs every year, but as this team turns the corner (and it is looking like it has) the fan excitement will return, the destination will be desirable again, and it'll all be just fine.

Never forget a lot of these guys already know each other and have played together and are possibly friends. Just relax, they will come. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is a funny much ado about nothing thread. Sabres fans have gotten so pessimistic and antsy they'll jump on the slightest thing. These guys are the future, not the present, let them take whatever path they want. No guarantees everybody signs every year, but as this team turns the corner (and it is looking like it has) the fan excitement will return, the destination will be desirable again, and it'll all be just fine.

Never forget a lot of these guys already know each other and have played together and are possibly friends. Just relax, they will come. 

It mostly is. It’s fine Levi is going back. Got over that pretty quickly. Johnson likely doesn’t have a future on this team, so it doesn’t matter what he does. He should be flipped for a RHD prospect. Power is definitely coming - great news.

The wild card here is Portillo. I think he will, but if he doesn’t sign, it’s going to going to throw a wrench into Adams plans. Levi not signing increases this issue. UPL will be in Buffalo and hopefully we’ll sign a vet to him him out (but even this is no guarantee). If either of these falter, it’s going to be awful nice to have a developing prospect in Rochester. Not for next year, but the year after, when we are a serious playoff contender. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Let's not forget, KA played 4 years at Miami University as a 1st round pick (3 after his draft year), so what else would you expect him to say?    

I view his own college experience as a huge positive.     He's been through it, he knows the steps required to transition from college to the pro game. 

^ There you go making sense and providing facts.   Don't you know its better to make things up, and then worry about things you don't know about and can't change even if you do.  

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

It mostly is. It’s fine Levi is going back. Got over that pretty quickly. Johnson likely doesn’t have a future on this team, so it doesn’t matter what he does. He should be flipped for a RHD prospect. Power is definitely coming - great news.

The wild card here is Portillo. I think he will, but if he doesn’t sign, it’s going to going to throw a wrench into Adams plans. Levi not signing increases this issue. UPL will be in Buffalo and hopefully we’ll sign a vet to him him out (but even this is no guarantee). If either of these falter, it’s going to be awful nice to have a developing prospect in Rochester. Not for next year, but the year after, when we are a serious playoff contender. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I see Johnson as needing to sign; and you can let Portillo go back.  Goalies always take longer; and Portillo to me is almost more pivotal to Michigan next year than Power is.  As Michigan was 7-1-1 w/out Power during his run in the Olympics.  For me development of the goalies is much more important than getting them to sign on the line; this second!

Edited by Rasmus_

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

Power is definitely coming - great news.

I never thought Power wouldn't sign. Kid is from Mississauga, just a short car drive away, so he will have no issues starting his career in Buffalo. 

Portillo, idk, but he obviously knows Power well, and you'd have to ask why wouldn't a young goalie want to come to a team where the future of the net is open and ripe for the taking? Ideally we end up with too many good goalies, wouldn't that be a switch?

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I understand why people are trying to read into KA’s statements. The team is generating some hopium right now, but we are a wounded fanbase suffering from a sports version of PTSD.  We have seen college kids reject us before (only one of our picks in Petersen - Vesey said he was always going to go UFA and TM traded for him anyway).  We have seen stars like Sam, Jack, and ROR say they want out and we’ve missed the playoffs for over a decade.  With that track record no wonder fans are worried that star college kids may want to find greener pastures.

However, the truth is the only drafted college kid that the Sabres wanted to keep who bolted is Petersen.  As others have pointed out, TM and his staff did a terrible job of communicating with the kid. Also goaltending wasn’t really an issue for us in 2017.  Lehner was here and Ullmark was almost ready in Rochester. Behind him we had Jonas Johansson, a former 3rd rd pick, just make the jump from Europe to the AHL in April 2017.  Crowded net for 2017/8 with starters Lehner (NHL), Ullmark (AHL) and JJ (ECHL).  So the Iowa native bolted to a Western team.  

If I’m a prospect goalie I’m thrilled with the situation in goal.  There is no real starter Buffalo.  The only prospect is UPL and he is headed for a backup role in Buffalo.  That leaves clear openings in Roch and Cin.  With Levi staying in school, that means Portillo has a clear shot AHL starting gig.  

For Johnson the situation is more murky.  There is no road to the NHL on the left side and may never be with Power (19), Dahlin (22) and Samuelsson (22). However there is very beatable competition on the right side.  I doubt any of Jokiharju, Bryson, Pysyk or Fitz are real roadblocks if Johnson can effectively transition to the right side.  

I’m really not worried that any of the big 3 college prospects will reject the team. The team is turning around and creating legit positive vibe.  The developmental staff and GM are communicating with the kids well and there are clear avenues to playing time in Rochester and ultimately Buffalo for all three.  When they sign is probably the biggest issue. 

Great post.  Thanks very much for articulating your thoughts on this.

For me I believe that it's just impatience on my part.  I want these guys to develop and start contributing to the Sabres success as soon as possible and I want the next layer of talent ready to step in and be available when we need it.  How can we forget the 2006 playoffs when Jay McKee was lost to injury for game 7..............opportunity for a player to step in.

I would love to understand how players really think when considering signing their first NHL contract.  To me, it's logical for a player to believe that he will make the team either right away or after some time in the AHL but it seems wrong for a player like Johnson to not agree to sign a contract because we can't guarantee him a spot on the Sabres.  I don't mean to disrespect his talent or potential but it is still rare for a player to not need any time in the AHL before playing full time in the NHL.  I would think that he wouldn't immediately crack the lineup on most NHL teams (but he would still be a top prospect).  I would hope that he would (will) sign a contract with the Sabres and come to the team and work hard, develop, and force his way onto the Sabres when he proves ready.  A spot and opportunity always opens for a talented player.

1 hour ago, Digger said:

Great post.  Thanks very much for articulating your thoughts on this.

For me I believe that it's just impatience on my part.  I want these guys to develop and start contributing to the Sabres success as soon as possible and I want the next layer of talent ready to step in and be available when we need it.  How can we forget the 2006 playoffs when Jay McKee was lost to injury for game 7..............opportunity for a player to step in.

I would love to understand how players really think when considering signing their first NHL contract.  To me, it's logical for a player to believe that he will make the team either right away or after some time in the AHL but it seems wrong for a player like Johnson to not agree to sign a contract because we can't guarantee him a spot on the Sabres.  I don't mean to disrespect his talent or potential but it is still rare for a player to not need any time in the AHL before playing full time in the NHL.  I would think that he wouldn't immediately crack the lineup on most NHL teams (but he would still be a top prospect).  I would hope that he would (will) sign a contract with the Sabres and come to the team and work hard, develop, and force his way onto the Sabres when he proves ready.  A spot and opportunity always opens for a talented player.

From my own experience... guys that sign early are typically after the paycheck (or they're bona-fide superstars), whereas guys who wait are more interested in personal development... not just hockey, but there's a social angle as well to the college experience vs the responsibilities associated with being a pro (more business like, sleep schedules, eating right, mundane routines, etc..).

• Thanks (+1) 2

During the Northeastern game Buccigross mentioned that Levi should stay in school instead of riding the buses in the AHL next year.

Many thought it was a one off comment but I wonder if that is kind of a mantra going around the college hockey world nowadays and more players will want to stay around to develop in the college environment.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

During the Northeastern game Buccigross mentioned that Levi should stay in school instead of riding the buses in the AHL next year.

Many thought it was a one off comment but I wonder if that is kind of a mantra going around the college hockey world nowadays and more players will want to stay around to develop in the college environment.

Are they not "riding the buses" in college?

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, pi2000 said:

From my own experience... guys that sign early are typically after the paycheck (or they're bona-fide superstars), whereas guys who wait are more interested in personal development... not just hockey, but there's a social angle as well to the college experience vs the responsibilities associated with being a pro (more business like, sleep schedules, eating right, mundane routines, etc..).

In a nutshell, tail. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.