Adams: no downside if Portillo & Johnson go back to college for another year

Buffalonill

So did Johnson and Portillo announce they're going back to school or is this just speculation because Levi is going back?? Listening to KA on After the Whistle it sounded to me that he was ok with whatever they decide. (Please don't make me go thru all these posts again 🙏)

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, BuffalOhio said:

Remember when we lost out on Will Butcher?  The sky fell.  How's that looking now?  Relax!

Vesey was a big miss by TM. You would think he had some inside knowledge of the guy’s wishes, but I think TM thought he could convince him.

I think KA wouldn’t make that trade.

Adam Fox is the most prominent NCAA draftee that went the FA route I can think of. Calgary drafted him, traded his rights to Carolina who then moved him to the Rangers. I think he’d made it clear to them that he was going Rangers or bust. Tied their hands but they got a bit for him. I doubt anyone thought he would win a Norris.

11 minutes ago, jsb said:

So did Johnson and Portillo announce they're going back to school or is this just speculation because Levi is going back?? Listening to KA on After the Whistle it sounded to me that he was ok with whatever they decide. (Please don't make me go thru all these posts again 🙏)

They have announced nothing because right now neither player gives a crap about the Sabres. Final 4 tonight for them, that's where they are focused.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

During the Northeastern game Buccigross mentioned that Levi should stay in school instead of riding the buses in the AHL next year.

Many thought it was a one off comment but I wonder if that is kind of a mantra going around the college hockey world nowadays and more players will want to stay around to develop in the college environment.

I find it doubtful that John Buccigross has his finger on the pulse of the NCAA hockey environment, but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Adams mentioned that He promised the Michigan HC that He would not discuss publicly Owen Power’s NHL Future. I imagine He has similar arrangement for the other two as well. 

No no,  it's that Adams is a stupid imbecile and is going to let Levi, Power, Johnson, Huglen, Portillo go to free agency because he hasn't publicly told us his inner most thoughts on the prospects in the last 2 weeks. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Adams mentioned that He promised the Michigan HC that He would not discuss publicly Owen Power’s NHL Future. I imagine He has similar arrangement for the other two as well. 

It's almost like Adams has been there and done that in college and knows what these kids are going through....

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

I find it doubtful that John Buccigross has his finger on the pulse of the NCAA hockey environment, but I could be wrong.

It's pretty much been his entire beat since ESPN ditched the NHL until this year when they un-ditched the NHL.  How good he is at it, I dunno.

4 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

It's pretty much been his entire beat since ESPN ditched the NHL until this year when they un-ditched the NHL.  How good he is at it, I dunno.

He has covered NCAA hockey pretty much full time?  If so, then I retract my statement.  I don’t watch ESPN.  Sorry Johnny.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

He has covered NCAA hockey pretty much full time?  If so, then I retract my statement.  I don’t watch ESPN.  Sorry Johnny.

Well, I would rather word it: Nobody except him covers college hockey on ESPN.  He does seem to be into it, though.  

Personally I think there needs to be more focus on Johnson.

Kid is a bigger, better Bryson and is going to play 10 years in the NHL.

Quotes from January:

“Whether it's Tim [Kennedy], Nate [Paetsch], or even GM Kevyn Adams, they've all put a lot of effort into me," he said. "It's really cool to see and makes me very confident in the future."

Johnson feels confident that he will be able to take the next step in his career sooner rather than later. He's paid attention to the Sabres throughout the season and is thrilled to be a part of what is being built for the future. 

"I really do see lots of positives within the organization right now," he said. "They have continued to draft skilled players and develop them. It's just a matter of time before things really start to click in Buffalo

• Like (+1) 5

I'm hearing a lot of "because Buffalo" in these posts about the kids staying in school.  The most important kid signed and will be on the ice on Tuesday.  We are past the point where we have to the kids yesterday.  We can now let the kids develop at their own pace.  Remember only one drafted college kid we wanted rejected the team and that was because of bad communication by TM and a crowded group of netminders.  That's it.  

The Sabres have a full roster (14) of forwards under contract or control in Tuch, Skinner, KO, VO, Mitts, TNT, Big Z, Cozens, Krebs, Quinn, JJP, Asplund, Bjork and Murray.  The team has 6 D under contract or control in Dahlin, Joki, Power, Samuelsson, Bryson, and Fitz plus a goaltender with some NHL experience under control in UPL.  

It was unlikely that Levi, Portillo or even Johnson was going to see action in Buffalo next season.  Relax it will be alright.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

Like Portillo and Levi, I wonder how much of Johnson’s decision-making is tie to unfinished business. Final 4 loss has gotta sting.

So many times this type of thing happens.  Player goes back and team still doesn’t win it the next year…..

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.