Adams: no downside if Portillo & Johnson go back to college for another year

Buffalonill

35 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Adams said the Sabres are fine with the youngsters – Portillo is a sophomore and Johnson and is a junior – turning pro or returning to school.

“There’s no downside if they stay, in my opinion,” he said.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-prospect-devon-levi-wants-to-feel-that-pressure-at-northeastern/

Besides the fact both would be UFAs in August 2023.

If they do not sign, both should become trade pieces for a Younger RHD and/or an established goalie 

• Like (+1) 5

39 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

What should he have said instead?

Turn pro, or else? It isn’t solely KA’s decision.  

I think his public comment is appropriate, whether he believes it or not.  

The Sabres don't want to alienate their prospects.  College players, if my memory serves me correctly, can wait it out and become free agents.  The Sabres have lost out on some good prospects in the past that did this.  One was goalie Cal Peterson and the other was Jimmy Vesey (who ultimately ended up a Sabre later in his career and didn't make much of an impact).  

Thus, Adams has to publicly say whatever needs to be said to show that these players have the support of the Buffalo organization, 100%, regardless of what they choose to do, even if the Sabres very badly want to get these guys signed and in the door.  I think that for Portillo, the best thing is for Michigan to win the National Championship.  He'll then have nothing left to prove at the college level and may be ready to turn pro.  Power is ready and likely coming either way, but he'll also erase any (even ever so slight) doubts about turning pro if Michigan wins the title.  While you could make the same arguments for the 2 Minnesota players, I don't think they are nearly as valuable to the Sabres organization as the 2 Michigan players.  Power is a top talent and Portillo is a goalie, which the Sabres desparately need to develop.

Go Blue!

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I think his public comment is appropriate, whether he believes it or not.  

“While we would love for both of them to become contributors on our roster, we think there is some benefit from them staying in school as well.”

Geez, did you really think that would be that hard to say?

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Way to give them space.

fify.   You gotta understand teenagers.

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

He shouldn't have said anything.  If asked directly, simply say they're talking about it with their agents.

13 minutes ago, kas23 said:

“While we would love for both of them to become contributors on our roster, we think there is some benefit from them staying in school as well.”

Geez, did you really think that would be that hard to say?

Did you not read the article?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

No downside?  There is always a downside.  How about going back to college delays their professional careers by one year?

Adams is frustrating.  For every step forward, there is at least a step back.  I remain undecided on him, but saying stuff like this is just stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Did you not read the article?

Did you not read it? If you did, show me the quote from Adams that said otherwise. 

I’ll help you:

[quote]

Adams said the Sabres are fine with the youngsters – Portillo is a sophomore and Johnson and is a junior – turning pro or returning to school.

Adams said the Sabres would’ve been OK with Levi and Portillo both turning pro.[/quote]

There’s only one quote and it’s a pretty negative one. Now, I fully admit Adams may have been more diplomatic in his answers, but the writer didn’t give him that benefit. 

Edited by kas23

8 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Did you not read it? If you did, show me the quote from Adams that said otherwise. 

I’ll help you:

[quote]

Adams said the Sabres would’ve been OK with Levi and Portillo both turning pro.[/quote]

There’s only one quote and it’s a pretty negative one. Now, I fully admit Adams may have been more diplomatic in his answers, but the writer didn’t give him that benefit. 

I did read it. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I did read it. 

You must’ve not understood what you were reading then. If not, why would you ask me if I read it? Adams could’ve been quoted saying something more diplomatic or upbeat. He wasn’t. He said “there’s no downside if they stay, in my opinion.” Sounds welcoming. 

"If he (levi) came and he was mentally ready, and what he thought was right for him, that would've been great too"

I mean at this point we've reached hysterics over this. 

Just now, kas23 said:

You must’ve not understood what you were reading then. If not, why would you ask me if I read it? Adams could’ve been quoted saying something more diplomatic or upbeat. He wasn’t. He said “there’s no downside if they stay, in my opinion.” Sounds welcoming. 

Oh that's it, I'm too stupid to understand. Thanks, that clarified everything. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

"If he (levi) came and he was mentally ready, and what he thought was right for him, that would've been great too"

I mean at this point we've reached hysterics over this. 

Oh that's it, I'm too stupid to understand. Thanks, that clarified everything. 

You welcome. But, this thread has nothing to do Levi??? It’s about Johnson and Portillo. And this is where Adams quote arose. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

You welcome. But, this thread has nothing to do Levi??? It’s about Johnson and Portillo. And this is where Adams quote arose. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Imagine thinking a paraphrased interview with a gm contained everything he said and everything he said to these prospects. Just imagine it. 

4 minutes ago, kas23 said:

You know the funny part about this, Johnson and Portillo can't make the decision yet but here you are losing your mind over nothing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.