Adams: no downside if Portillo & Johnson go back to college for another year

Buffalonill

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

…Remember only one drafted college kid we wanted rejected the team and that was because of bad communication by TM and a crowded group of netminders.  That's it.….

If we don’t have the same goalie situation in Buffalo in the next 2 years, when these guys would be ready to step in, then there’s going to be a lot of teeth gnashing around here. And rightfully so. 

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm hearing a lot of "because Buffalo" in these posts about the kids staying in school.  The most important kid signed and will be on the ice on Tuesday.  We are past the point where we have to the kids yesterday.  We can now let the kids develop at their own pace.  Remember only one drafted college kid we wanted rejected the team and that was because of bad communication by TM and a crowded group of netminders.  That's it.  

The Sabres have a full roster (14) of forwards under contract or control in Tuch, Skinner, KO, VO, Mitts, TNT, Big Z, Cozens, Krebs, Quinn, JJP, Asplund, Bjork and Murray.  The team has 6 D under contract or control in Dahlin, Joki, Power, Samuelsson, Bryson, and Fitz plus a goaltender with some NHL experience under control in UPL.  

It was unlikely that Levi, Portillo or even Johnson was going to see action in Buffalo next season.  Relax it will be alright.

That’s not the point of the teeth-gnashing.  The point is that if Johnson doesn’t sign this summer, he, like Portillo, will become a UFA next summer and the Sabres will probably lose him because at that point he will have 32 teams to choose from — and it’s a bad outcome for a franchise to lose a very good prospect.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

That’s not the point of the teeth-gnashing.  The point is that if Johnson doesn’t sign this summer, he, like Portillo, will become a UFA next summer and the Sabres will probably lose him because at that point he will have 32 teams to choose from — and it’s a bad outcome for a franchise to lose a very good prospect.  

Ok play it out.  Let’s say Johnson walks.  The left side of the D is basically set for the next decade in Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson.  He would have had to move to his off-side to even make the roster.

In this coming draft we have 3 firsts. Two are probably going to used on D and given our slots in the draft probably RHD.  

Now add 3 seconds the following year.  Basically our pipeline is in position to absorb even a highly rated prospect like Johnson leaving. 

Other teams have gone through this as well. Colorado butchered their relationship with the highly touted Butcher and he walked.  I don’t think they miss him.  Nashville also isn’t losing sleep about losing Vesey.  

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ok play it out.  Let’s say Johnson walks.  The left side of the D is basically set for the next decade in Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson.  He would have had to move to his off-side to even make the roster.

In this coming draft we have 3 firsts. Two are probably going to used on D and given our slots in the draft probably RHD.  

Now add 3 seconds the following year.  Basically our pipeline is in position to absorb even a highly rated prospect like Johnson leaving. 

Other teams have gone through this as well. Colorado butchered their relationship with the highly touted Butcher and he walked.  I don’t think they miss him.  Nashville also isn’t losing sleep about losing Vesey.  

Yes — the franchise isn’t doomed, as I said in a different thread.  But it’s still a bad outcome to lose a very good prospect.  And yes we have a bunch of draft picks — but whoever they draft will be 4 or 5 years behind Portillo and Johnson in his development.

It’s not a disaster, but it’s not good and it’s a real loss of a real asset — possibly 2 real assets.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The only thing I worried about with Johnson is not getting an asset back for him. He doesn’t really have a spot on the current team, nor will one likely open in the next 5 years (barring a long term injury). The other way we could accommodate him is if we traded Muel for a right-handed Muel. Not sure people have an appetite for that. 

Just now, kas23 said:

The only thing I worried about with Johnson is not getting an asset back for him. He doesn’t really have a spot on the current team, nor will one likely open in the next 5 years (barring a long term injury). The other way we could accommodate him is if we traded Muel for a right-handed Muel. Not sure people have an appetite for that. 

There is zero chance of them trading Samuelsson.  

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, kas23 said:

If we don’t have the same goalie situation in Buffalo in the next 2 years, when these guys would be ready to step in, then there’s going to be a lot of teeth gnashing around here. And rightfully so. 

As Teddy Kennedy said, we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Unlike the Johnson situation, there is a clear road for goaltenders.  KA wanted Levi and I sincerely doubt he lets him slip through his fingers. 

Portillo is another matter.  I am a little surprised that he returned to school, but KA is going a good job communicating with these kids.  The Sabres may sincerely think he isn’t ready for the pros and if that is true then his return makes sense.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Yes — the franchise isn’t doomed, as I said in a different thread.  But it’s still a bad outcome to lose a very good prospect.  And yes we have a bunch of draft picks — but whoever they draft will be 4 or 5 years behind Portillo and Johnson in his development.

It’s not a disaster, but it’s not good and it’s a real loss of a real asset — possibly 2 real assets.

If we get Jiricek in the draft then he’ll be knocking on the door in another year.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We are officially the single worst organization that has ever existed with 11 in a row and counting. I really don't want to hear anyone try and spin pissing away an asset that has matured and ending up with a de facto 2024 3rd round pick as no big deal.

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I see this a lot about Johnson. Disagree.

He will have a spot on the team if he is one of our 5 best defenceman, regardless of what hand he plays.

And he should become one of our 5 best defencemen. Different player, but his ceiling is similar to Mule.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, sabremike said:

We are officially the single worst organization that has ever existed with 11 in a row and counting. I really don't want to hear anyone try and spin pissing away an asset that has matured and ending up with a de facto 2024 3rd round pick as no big deal.

I have said in other threads that I think they’ll sign Johnson.  That hasn’t changed.  We need players in Rochester and he already has some experience on his off-side.  

The question is what happens if he walks and I’m saying it isn’t the end of the world and we are in a good position to absorb the loss.  

Losing the goaltenders would be a bigger issue given the state of our goaltending. However no way KA lets his prized prospect Levi walk.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He will have a spot on the team if he is one of our 5 best defenceman, regardless of what hand he plays.

And he should become one of our 5 best defencemen. Different player, but his ceiling is similar to Mule.

Johnson is going to surprise some ppl

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I understand this. But it’s hard to ignore the data about handedness of defensemen. While playing off-hand is certainly possible, it’s doesn’t optimize the player’s strength. Why handicap a player if we don’t have to?

18 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I understand this. But it’s hard to ignore the data about handedness of defensemen. While playing off-hand is certainly possible, it’s doesn’t optimize the player’s strength. Why handicap a player if we don’t have to?

First off, you don’t know you are handicapping a player.

Some are comfortable on their off-hand. Generalities are useful in big picture discussions, but what matters is this specific instance.

Secondly, what’s important is what’s best for the team.

Johnson might be a 78% player on LD and a 71% player on RD, but if that means he is our 4LD and our 2RD, you play him on RD.

• Like (+1) 1

I also posted this in the Portillo thread, but I suggest ready the News’ article about Levi.  https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/sabres-prospect-devon-levi-reflects-on-tough-decision-to-return-to-northeastern/article_09d9b4b2-b756-11ec-ac70-8fee378152d3.html

“They’re all really good people and good humans, which is kind of what they’re trying to build,” Levi said of the Sabres. “They’re trying to build an organization with good people and good culture. It’s good to hear, because I would like to take part in a team where the culture is unreal. … It sounds like a great place. Everyone is pretty close. All the guys are good teammates and they’re also good players, too. I’m looking forward to hopefully joining their organization.”

These are Levi’s thoughts on the organization.  KA and the coaches were there with him as he made his decision.  It’s now clearer then ever that this management team is very open and honest with these prospects.  I think for once we have respect that management is actually  doing the right thing for the development of our prospects. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

If he walks buffalo gets a 2nd round pick i believe 

Edited by Buffalonill

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hopefully things are better in the future, but how many players have spent a decade on the Sabres ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.