A Knights Tale: From Sabre to Knight; one man’s failure to make the playoffs AND how it benefits the Sabres draft position

Crusader1969

For all the schadenfreude and ass shining in this thread, I think we need a little perspective.

We're the same team, only we aren't playing anyone who has anything to play for.

And no matter where Vegas' pick ends up, it ain't helping us make the playoffs next year.

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 5.33.51 AM.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

For all the schadenfreude and ass shining in this thread, I think we need a little perspective.

We're the same team, only we aren't playing anyone who has anything to play for.

And no matter where Vegas' pick ends up, it ain't helping us make the playoffs next year.

Haven't we played a against a ton of playoff teams in that time span?

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

The expectatons were not the same, and it still makes some difference to have a better draft pick. And really, if by some chance LV ends up on the outside, Hula Hoop Eichel ought to make a celebratory return.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

This thread is about enjoying someone’s misery, not “the Sabres are better than the Knights”.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Yeah, except this thread is specifically about the Vegas draft, so it should be no surprise that people are in here hoping Vegas loses so that the draft pick improves.  If you don’t want to read stuff like that, it’s probably not the thread for you.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

You either badly phrased that or are completely wrong.

If you mean Buffalo has "nothing" to play for than yes you are correct.

If you don't then your point makes zero sense as we have played a myriad of playoff teams, including teams Vegas is fighting with, and teams aren't deciding to play easy on us for the fun of it.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

We're not the same team. Go look at the draft picks we own, the average age of our roster, and our prospect pool. 

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I thought that firing their coach, Gallant, was stupid too. 

Reading the tea leaves, a couple of on air personalities have hinted that Fleury won’t return to Vegas because of DeBoer. There must be an issue there.

So firing Gallant to bring in DeBoer looks to have cost them Fleury too.

Vegas was the envy of the league then they decided to fly too close to the sun and it has been their downfall.

Too many changes for that team. They lost a lot of the guys that made them special. They brought in huge pieces (Pacioretty, Stone, Pietroangelo, Eichel, Lehner) but lost that chemistry.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

No but that pick might be come a vital ELC player in 2-3 years so I want the best shot we can at a good player.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Huckleberry said:

No but that pick might be come a vital ELC player in 2-3 years so I want the best shot we can at a good player.

What if Vegas misses the playoffs, wins the lottery, picks 5, and their draft pick becomes an unprotected 2023 1st... now that's something. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Um, think about your post for a second.  If at the beginning of the year I would have told you Vegas traded for Eichel who came back a few months after surgery and that we were the same team as them at the end of the year what would your reaction be?

We were predicted to finish dead last overall. Vegas was a Cup contender. We are trending up, they look to be a dumpster fire with no cap space or young prospects or picks.

Shine On!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

What if Vegas misses the playoffs, wins the lottery, picks 5, and their draft pick becomes an unprotected 2023 1st... now that's something. 

Would probably work out for the Sabres like the Aisles pick worked out.  It went from 5th to 20 something in that 1 additional season.

Yes, it could become a top pick in '23, but it's more likely to be in the 20's as Vegas won't likely be decimated by injuries.  Will very happily take 15 this year should that be what it becomes.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

But would you rather say the 15th pick this year or Vegas 1st next year?  Aren’t the assumptions that they pick will be worse next year as Vegas is just having a down year? 

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Haven't we played a against a ton of playoff teams in that time span?

East teams already clinched. And we lost to them.

41 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, except this thread is specifically about the Vegas draft, so it should be no surprise that people are in here hoping Vegas loses so that the draft pick improves.  If you don’t want to read stuff like that, it’s probably not the thread for you.

I’ll read whatever I want.😂

28 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yay!!!!! 2 to 3 years from now! How exciting!

Just as likely to not pan out. Doesn’t move the needle.

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That would be something.

Edited by SwampD

21 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Um, think about your post for a second.  If at the beginning of the year I would have told you Vegas traded for Eichel who came back a few months after surgery and that we were the same team as them at the end of the year what would your reaction be?

We were predicted to finish dead last overall. Vegas was a Cup contender. We are trending up, they look to be a dumpster fire with no cap space or young prospects or picks.

Shine On!!

Sure. But even at our current pace, we’re not a playoff team.

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That would be something.

Not this again. It's such bs. 

East teams clinched so they aren't playing for anything but also the teams are good and making sure they are playoff ready? So they are so magically awesome they made the playoffs while simultaneously being awesome enough to be able to turn off and on that playoff level gear? And they don't care about a better playoff seed? When we beat them they "clinched" and weren't trying and when we lose "we aren't a playoff team and suck". What defeatist loser talk. 

I've never bought this and considering we watch playoff teams beat the crap out of the Arizona and Phillies of the league I truly believe it's pessimistic bs and a loser attitude. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That would be something.

Just because they clinched doesn't mean they're not playing for seeding, or momentum. Toronto is trying, Carolina is trying. And outside of the East, Vegas is definitely trying too, same with Vancouver and Calgary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

The difference is the direction each team is heading.  The Sabres have been hot trash for a decade and are willing their way out of the morass.  VGK is sinking fast.  The fact is, by trading Jack to them, we've become them and they've become us.  Have fun losing even more, Jack.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.