A Knights Tale: From Sabre to Knight; one man’s failure to make the playoffs AND how it benefits the Sabres draft position

Crusader1969

6 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I think Vegas is still in a position where if they just win their games they will get in. Nashville’s schedule is rough. Dallas has their Van/Cal/Edm stretch and they host the Knights. LA’s schedule is comparatively easy but they just aren’t that good right now. Vegas has three in a row at home v Devils, Caps and Sharks. If they sweep they will likely be well positioned a week from now. 

I think Vegas is going to have to falter further to miss. 

I fully expect LV to make the Conference Finals unless their goaltending fails them.  They are just starting to peak.

18 hours ago, Taro T said:

Thought it was just Connolly that the league said couldn't play in the playoffs if he didn't get activated in the RS because he hadn't played any games that year coming off his Schaefer fun.  (Could definitely be misremembering.)

My memory is that the weasel-words in the threat allowed one to infer that if the Sabres went all out and LTIR-ed Connolly, Afinogenov, and a couple of other guy to get a loaded team for round 1 in retaliation, then they would only be able to activate the 1 player per series who was not in the minors all season, even if there were legitimate injuries.  I called Schopp, Bulldog, and Hamilton to ask if I was misreading things and the best they could do was, "the league would not do that."

The primary reason I remember it so clearly and the reason it pissed me off was because the normal recovery times for everyone outside of Connolly was normally into round 1 and that any setback to Connolly would have shelved him for the playoffs -- and it took someone noticing on Satellite Hot Stove one week later before people got upset.  So the league deliberately handicapped the Sabres even though the normal course for the injuries was coincidental.

I will bet big money at big odds that after Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Las Vegas have done this that the first small market that tries this will get landed on with a tonne of bricks.  Why do I assume bad faith from the league?  Remember after the numerous back-diving deals from big market teams that the issue only became a problem with the NHL was when the Sabres signed Christian Ehrhoff.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

My memory is that the weasel-words in the threat allowed one to infer that if the Sabres went all out and LTIR-ed Connolly, Afinogenov, and a couple of other guy to get a loaded team for round 1 in retaliation, then they would only be able to activate the 1 player per series who was not in the minors all season, even if there were legitimate injuries.  I called Schopp, Bulldog, and Hamilton to ask if I was misreading things and the best they could do was, "the league would not do that."

The primary reason I remember it so clearly and the reason it pissed me off was because the normal recovery times for everyone outside of Connolly was normally into round 1 and that any setback to Connolly would have shelved him for the playoffs -- and it took someone noticing on Satellite Hot Stove one week later before people got upset.  So the league deliberately handicapped the Sabres even though the normal course for the injuries was coincidental.

I will bet big money at big odds that after Chicago, Tampa Bay, and Las Vegas have done this that the first small market that tries this will get landed on with a tonne of bricks.  Why do I assume bad faith from the league?  Remember after the numerous back-diving deals from big market teams that the issue only became a problem with the NHL was when the Sabres signed Christian Ehrhoff.

Tampa Bay is a small market, no?

The changes in the handling of these situations that you are laying out came about due to a new CBA, as opposed to bias against “small market” teams, no?

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

Tampa Bay is a small market, no?

The changes in the handling of these situations that you are laying out came about due to a new CBA, as opposed to bias against “small market” teams, no?

13th largest in the country.

A friend of mine can’t get over how badly Jack was treated by Buffalo, bla bla bla. 

I had to point out today that Jack has a career high 36 goals. Same as Tage! I showed him a clip of how excited these guys are - and how Tuch is what Jack isn’t. 

He then said let’s see how good Jack is with stone and patcioretty. I said, Tage is doing it with a skinner and Tuch. That line, even with Skinners overpriced contract, is about 12 million less than the Vegas line. 

My point to all this. We are way better off without Jack and I’m happy with the direction of this club.

Edited by rickshaw
  • Like (+1) 6

36 goals. And being paid $10M per year for that shouldn’t be confused with mistreatment. Lastly, next year I think Jack, Stone, and Pac may be the only players on the team worth anything because they are going to need to shed some salary in order to get them all on the ice. 

Edited by kas23

19 minutes ago, kas23 said:

36 goals. And being paid $10M per year for that should be confused with mistreatment. Lastly, next year I think Jack, Stone, and Pac may be the only players on the team worth anything because they are going to need to shed some salary in order to get them all on the ice. 

I would laugh like hell if the cap situation forced VGK into a rebuild (i.e., keeping that one line on a team of otherwise prospects and JAGs).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

13th largest metro area?  But with regards to the number of hockey fans it must be significantly smaller than the 13th largest market, no?

You might be right.  But after B2B Cups, they lead the league in attendance. And they never had a huge runoff from their 2004 Cup win.  At this point, they’re an established hockey market. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

36 goals. And being paid $10M per year for that should be confused with mistreatment. Lastly, next year I think Jack, Stone, and Pac may be the only players on the team worth anything because they are going to need to shed some salary in order to get them all on the ice. 

Who are slated to be on LTIR next season?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Amaru523 said:

The Knights have a new problem now, it's called the Vancouver Canucks. They're a point behind with a game in hand. (Assuming they hold on to beat the Stars)

potentially on a six game win streak

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SDS said:

Vegas loses 3-2. lol

If these guys didn't have numbers on - I wouldn't be able to tell Eichel from anyone else on that team. I certainly wouldn't say he was a standout.

I was thinking the same thing. I watched this game and had a hard time noticing when he was on the ice.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

I was thinking the same thing. I watched this game and had a hard time noticing when he was on the ice.

I mean, he makes some nice passes. but he loses a ***** ton of battles along the boards and I rarely see him taking shots other than an occasional power-play shot. He seems like the most passive guy on the team.

34 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The Knights will never win with Lehner in net. Trading Fleury and signing Lehner long term is an all time blunder that will haunt that franchise.

I thought that firing their coach, Gallant, was stupid too. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Marvin - Are you doing and about face?  I thought you were on their peaking? 

They have looked very good and are getting a lot of shots -- but their goaltending has been, um, suboptimal and they suddenly can't score.  If they just get average goaltending and average shooting percentages, they would have several more points.  That dressing room has to be really frustrated.

Oh, and given the talent they do have, their PP should be much better.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Amaru523 said:

The Knights have a new problem now, it's called the Vancouver Canucks. They're a point behind with a game in hand. (Assuming they hold on to beat the Stars)

If I did not greet you before, welcome.

Vancouver is firing on all cylinders.  They are on a 110 point pace since their coaching change.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.