A Knights Tale: From Sabre to Knight; one man’s failure to make the playoffs AND how it benefits the Sabres draft position

Crusader1969

Thought I heard on the Instigators that VGK's chances of making the playoffs are now in the 30+% range.  The teams they are trying to catch also are winning.  Dallas still getting the job done with Scott Wedgewood in net.  I am kind of curious to see what kind of shape Mark Stone is in and whether he can be a difference maker for the stretch run.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Thought I heard on the Instigators that VGK's chances of making the playoffs are now in the 30+% range.  The teams they are trying to catch also are winning.  Dallas still getting the job done with Scott Wedgewood in net.  I am kind of curious to see what kind of shape Mark Stone is in and whether he can be a difference maker for the stretch run.

Lots of different site out there that use different formulas to determine playoff odds/percentages.  Some are as simple as looking at strict probabilities based on each team having a 50% chance of winning each game.  Others take it a step further and look at a teams winning percentage vs opponents.  Even others use formulas so complicated that use various advanced stats, roster compositions, injuries, etc.

I look at 4 or 5 different sites for playoff odds...they all have vegas in the 34%-43% chance right now.

• Like (+1) 1

Vegas is at CGY on Thursday and at EDM on Saturday. Those are 2 teams that a) can easily defeat Vegas on home ice, and b) should be supremely motivated to keep Vegas out of the playoffs. Because if healthy and without any cap limitations, Vegas could get very dangerous. Calgary needs to keep Vegas from getting the #4 seed in case Dallas flounders down the stretch and Edmonton needs to keep Vegas from getting the #3 seed in case the Kings collapse.

18 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Vegas is at CGY on Thursday and at EDM on Saturday. Those are 2 teams that a) can easily defeat Vegas on home ice, and b) should be supremely motivated to keep Vegas out of the playoffs. Because if healthy and without any cap limitations, Vegas could get very dangerous. Calgary needs to keep Vegas from getting the #4 seed in case Dallas flounders down the stretch and Edmonton needs to keep Vegas from getting the #3 seed in case the Kings collapse.

Yep - those are 2 huge games.  Other than LV getting a loser point, last night was perfect. Who had DAL beating TB - I didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

I read this on The Mailbag on NHL.com.  It's written by Dan Rosen:

If the Vegas Golden Knights don't make the playoffs does the Jack Eichel trade win "bad trade of the year?" -- @officebrian

No.  The Golden Knights acquired Eichel for the long term, not just for this season. His impact on them will be felt for years. His contract goes through the 2025-26 season. If they acquired him as a rental player that would be different, but regardless if they make or miss the playoffs this season, Eichel will remain a significant core piece for the Golden Knights, a true No. 1 center they have never had and one they can build around.

Laughter Wtf GIF by ADWEEK GIF by MasterChefAU Laugh Lol GIF by SLUTEVER ha ha lol GIF by Studia Soyuz

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/13/2022 at 12:12 AM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

LTIR reasons include: hangnail, a boo-boo, cut shaving, hangover, stifled yawn, an ouchie, morning breath, scratch, dry skin, having peanut butter stick to the roof of your mouth.

You forgot low sperm count/impotency.

• Haha (+1) 1

Back to back nights for Kings is tough when the 2nd night is Colorado.  Still know reason to play like they did when they're fighting for their playoff lives.  Knights need to stumble this weekend, or they'll probably sneak into the playoffs ahead of the Kings

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

came here just to say that 😛

Yes.  The thread is about Knights playoffs and our subsequent draft pick.  Everyone is tracking the wild card race.  The Knights could finish with less points than the two WC Teams but still get 3rd in their division because the Kings are not holding up.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/12/2022 at 9:11 PM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

What pisses me off is that in 2006-7, the Sabres had Afinogenov, Connolly, and at least 1 other player all slated to come off the IR during Round 1 of the playoffs.  Suddenly, a month before the TDL, the league announced that any player on IR for the Sabres who did not return by the end of the season had to miss Round 1 and could not skate in a team organised session, let alone practise, at all until the off day before Round 2.  What makes Trampa Bray and Lost Vagus so damn special?  😡

Thought it was just Connolly that the league said couldn't play in the playoffs if he didn't get activated in the RS because he hadn't played any games that year coming off his Schaefer fun.  (Could definitely be misremembering.)

On 4/13/2022 at 1:58 PM, mjd1001 said:

Lots of different site out there that use different formulas to determine playoff odds/percentages.  Some are as simple as looking at strict probabilities based on each team having a 50% chance of winning each game.  Others take it a step further and look at a teams winning percentage vs opponents.  Even others use formulas so complicated that use various advanced stats, roster compositions, injuries, etc.

I look at 4 or 5 different sites for playoff odds...they all have vegas in the 34%-43% chance right now.

It's all just made up numbers. 

2 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Watched the EDM/VGK game. Vegas did not look near as bad as the final score would indicate. LA will need to finish quite strong to hold off Vegas for that third spot, I believe.

The Kings last 5 games are all against non playoff teams, so if they can just go 3-2 in those games, that would force VGK to finish 4-1-1.

I think Vegas is still in a position where if they just win their games they will get in. Nashville’s schedule is rough. Dallas has their Van/Cal/Edm stretch and they host the Knights. LA’s schedule is comparatively easy but they just aren’t that good right now. Vegas has three in a row at home v Devils, Caps and Sharks. If they sweep they will likely be well positioned a week from now. 

I think Vegas is going to have to falter further to miss. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I think Vegas is still in a position where if they just win their games they will get in. Nashville’s schedule is rough. Dallas has their Van/Cal/Edm stretch and they host the Knights. LA’s schedule is comparatively easy but they just aren’t that good right now. Vegas has three in a row at home v Devils, Caps and Sharks. If they sweep they will likely be well positioned a week from now. 

They can do it. Chia Pet Jack is like the survivor of a shipwreck on that old series, Night Gallery. If you pick him up, you are doomed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

In other news the Jack Eichel Voodoo dolls are selling quickly to former Eichel fans..................

image.png.4436222263a102272c178bbe472e99ab.png

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.