GDT - Penguins @ Sabres - March 23, 2022 - 7:30 PM (EDT) - TNT and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

Just now, GoPuckYourself said:

Agree with all accept Middlestadt, I didn't see any of what you said, I thought he was just as bad as usual and although I like Anderson I'd want an upgrade which there will be some available. 

Couldn't agree with you more on both points. 

1 minute ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Agree with all accept Middlestadt, I didn't see any of what you said, I thought he was just as bad as usual and although I like Anderson I'd want an upgrade which there will be some available. 

IDK, I'd be okay with Anderson coming back next season.  We would have to give up a lot to get an upgraded goalie and I'm not sure it would be worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

Another nice hard working win.  I love that they are showing they are no longer intimidated by good teams.  I think the terrible Edm game embarrassed the guys and got them re-focused and I think they are enjoying playing the spoiler.  

I’m curious when was the last time the Sabres won 3 straight in OT/SO?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Great game. My homerism might be at play here but it seemed like the puck was always on our sticks. I’m falling for this team again and am super excited for the future. Thank you Sabres.

Yes, they were puck hogs tonight.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Another nice hard working win.  I love that they are showing they are no longer intimidated by hood teams.  I think the terrible Edm game embarrassed the guys and got them re-focused and I think they are enjoying playing the spoiler.  

The last time they won three straight was the first three games of this season. Three straight in OT? Have they ever?

Results are great, but the team isn't just sneaking by on luck and guys they don't anticipate being around long term. Namely, Tage and Dahlin are leading the 5 Sabres on the ice with them to ice-tilting shifts no matter who they play against. This is very bullish. Unlike "Tagecoin" 

Tuch bothers me sometimes lol. Not the best time to post this after he wins the game for us, but if I was a video scout for the Sabres I probably would have pushed that trade in another direction. I still would rather have him than have nobody of course, and think he can play a role on a good Sabres team as well as being great for the locker room, I'm just talking about on-ice mannerisms that happen to drive me nuts sometimes

Cozens had 2 opportunities where he NEEDED to get off the ice in OT, after he had already been gassed. He thought he was being a good teammate sticking it out, but in 3 on 3, that is a very bad decision and he is lucky it didn't cost them. 

If any of the early/mid Eichel teams that still had ROR, received the night-in-night-out goaltending that this team has for stretches, those teams could have worked out. It's that important, and so it's important for Kevyn to make sure that the Sabres can get 82 games of standard NHL goaltending. It's nice when goaltending is an afterthought when watching the games because they're usually up to the task of matching the other team's guy, letting the skaters decide the game themselves. 

Samuelsson is going to be our Colton Parayko or Nick Hjalmarsson

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Another nice hard working win.  I love that they are showing they are no longer intimidated by hood teams.  I think the terrible Edm game embarrassed the guys and got them re-focused and I think they are enjoying playing the spoiler.  

When was the last time the sabres won 3 ot games in a 6 month span?

• Sad 1

Quick impressions on this game: Of course Tage gets the first star. The second star should go to Anderson. Over the last half dozen games or so what is apparent is that when we get good goaltending we are able to match the opposition, even if they are more talented. 

In general, I would say that we slightly outplayed the Penquins. There were at least three occasions where we controlled the offensive zone and the opposing defense ended up scrambling and getting exhausted. 

This was a game where other than Tage with his laser shot it was difficult to determine who were our better players because everyone was working hard on both sides of the ice. 

Over the past half dozen games or so against good teams the Sabres have played a tight and cohesive game. 

The one negative about our play is on the draw. Collectively we are bad at it. 

Tuch is a tremendous addition to this team. He has a multiplier effect of making his linemates better.

Three wins in a row against good teams. More importantly for more than a half dozen games (with the exception of one game) this team has been playing well and hard. 

The optimism meter is trending up. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Probably with Ullmark and his SO prowess.

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It turns out not that long ago.  11-23-2018 (MON) - OT, 11-24-2018 (@DET) - SO, and 11-27-2018 (SJ) - OT.

It was Carter Hutton, Ullmark and then Hutton.  All 3 games 3-2.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I’m almost at the point of saying that Skinner Thompson Tuch has been a more consistently dangerous top line then Jack’s lines of past years and this isn’t about crapping on Jack.

It just seems game in and game out they tilt the ice when they are on the ice regardless of opponents. The middle 6 needs to grow and needs to be deed to in order to help carry the load but it is encouraging to see this team coming together.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Curt said:

Thoughts from tonight’s game:

-Dahlin is just so much more assertive than he was a few months ago.  It’s just remarkable.

-Samuelsson is going to be a core part of this team moving forward.  I just know it.

-Thompson is not getting lucky this season.  He has a high shooting percentage because his shot is lethal.

-Mittelstadt was finishing body checks on Crosby, throwing reverse checks on Jeff Carter, and cross checking the hell out of Rackell in OT.  He has a thick frame and he looks strong to me.  I think he will be fine.  I think he has figured out that his path to being a good NHL player involves a lot more backchecking, board work, and puck protection than stick handling through three defenders.

-Cozens was calling Thompson “Thomer” after his goal.  Solid nickname.

-I’ve not liked Jokiharju that much recently, but he was pretty good tonight.

-I’m not that worried about losing Olofsson if he ends up getting traded.

-Anderson can come back next season if he wants to.

Good points. 

Joker will get it going again. 

Olofsson passed up shots tonight.  That is his game and he needs to fire the puck.  

Anderson is the example of a great veteran.  I hope he comes back as a #3, plus coach/mentor/locker room guru. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.