GDT - Penguins @ Sabres - March 23, 2022 - 7:30 PM (EDT) - TNT and WGR

Sabres Fan in NS

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Mannerisms was the wrong word. I just think that with the puck on his stick, he plays like he has more skill than he does. So there are times when he has Tage, Skinner, or a point man wide open for a dangerous shot while he's at a goofy/awkward angle to the net with a guy right on him, and he'll try to take a shot or make a move almost every time instead, and will lose possession harmlessly. He does the same thing in transition, choosing to keep the puck when he should pass it far more often than most players, and doesn't have the skill to make anything happen the way an Eichel does (not making the comparison because of the trade, just because eichel is a prototypical transition player who does the same things more effectively)

And then there was a dreadful offside in overtime, where it was so obvious that he was going to be offside the whole entire play, with a team that had possession of the puck and now had to take a face off again to get it back (which they lost, and I'm pretty sure didnt see the puck again for another 2 mins). That's the play that made me actually type that out.

Most of the time i wouldn't say anything about this stuff because loads of players are as flawed or more flawed and still very good, I still like him and think he's a good player (a good middle six winger), but tuch has captured the imaginations of sabres fans with his excellent attitude and character, so I've seen a lot of "this guy is the next captain" talk and Drury comparisons, so my natural contrarian instincts kick in and I felt like saying something. 

I hope Tuch becomes our 3rd line driving force because that will mean our team is very strong 

That said, I agree with you. Tuch sometimes tries to do too much and gets in trouble

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

I still like him and think he's a good player (a good middle six winger), but tuch has captured the imaginations of sabres fans with his excellent attitude and character, so I've seen a lot of "this guy is the next captain" talk and Drury comparisons, so my natural contrarian instincts kick in and I felt like saying something. 

I hope Tuch becomes our 3rd line driving force because that will mean our team is very strong 

Thanks for the details. I'll keep an eye out for those kinds of things.

And I'm down with the portion above. I think a strong playoff team can have Tuch as its RW2. I do think he's the next captain. There's nothing wrong with having a strong middle-6 winger in that role. (I also think he's absolutely nothing like Drury.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

We’ve seen plenty of instances where Dahlin magically appears in the offensive zone to nab a puck and slide into open space and we’re left all “where did he come from?”

There was a play last night where that happened on defence. A Penguin was cruising toward (Joki?) down the right wing boards on a rush and suddenly Dahlin had come from the left side slipped between them and forced a turnover. He saw a play and executed before anyone on the ice even knew it was there.

That’s the aggression and the fearlessness Donnie preaches manifesting itself in new ways, thanks to Dahlin’s rare skill and the confidence the coach has installed.

What's most amazing to me is something that was even still there when he struggled- the tightrope walking at the point. 

"Dude  you are out of space abort ABORT - oh wow...."

He makes the defenders act like THEY are the ones inches away from the cliff and peel away out of fear, when they are the ones that should have all the leverage. He finds outlets when backed up to that cliff that seem to appear out of nowhere. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I think you are missing the point about the highlighted comment. There are teams that clearly are at a higher tier than Buffalo is. That's a fact! Teams such as Calgary, Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Colorado etc. The reality is that we are at a lower tier. Again, that's a fact! I don't see how anyone can deny that categorization. However, that doesn't mean that we can't be competitive with those teams when this team plays to its max and with good goaltending.  

This organization is rebuilding. Those running the organization publicly admit that. We have brought in more talent with the trades of our previous core that spreads the talent around more than before the trades (as you point out). But where we are now is not where we need to be to be in the higher tier of teams that were mentioned in order to become a serious cup contending team. 

Anyone who has been following this team recognizes that it is on the right track. And anyone who has a scintilla of objectivity recognizes that this team still has a way to go (less distance than before)  to get to the level that would make this team a SC contender. 

I hope this elaboration clarifies the issue for you. 

Well said. Accurate and to the point. Agree with all of the above 100%. Good things are coming. (and it is seriously about time!)

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Thanks for the details. I'll keep an eye out for those kinds of things.

And I'm down with the portion above. I think a strong playoff team can have Tuch as its RW2. I do think he's the next captain. There's nothing wrong with having a strong middle-6 winger in that role. (I also think he's absolutely nothing like Drury.)

I love Skinner and think he's been way worse about all of those things too during the bulk of his sabres career (his vision has appeared out of nowhere this year). But I thought he got enough grief from everyone else so I never bothered to say anything. That's all it is, every player outside of the elite spheres could have similar criticisms leveled against them

54 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh God Kruger sucks

He must be master of the gab to convince the Pegula's he was "the guy" to coach this team. Unbelievable how brutal they were under him and how the group today plays. Did Kruger coach at all while he was here? Wow!

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I love Skinner and think he's been way worse about all of those things too during the bulk of his sabres career (his vision has appeared out of nowhere this year). But I thought he got enough grief from everyone else so I never bothered to say anything. That's all it is, every player outside of the elite spheres could have similar criticisms leveled against them

I agree with what has been said about Tuch, Skinner and Thompson individually BUT together they have such chemistry. You can't overestimate the area that Tuch and Thompson cover with their length and it gives Skinner the capability to do Skinner things. I never thought Skinner was anything but a chaos forward and paired with the other 2 guys, he's able to be just that.

By the way has anyone noticed we're now 7th from the bottom, 1 point behind the Blackhawks and 5 behind the media darling Cinderella team, the Red Wings. Quite the climb this month has brought about and is this the best March we've had in at least a decade??

Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, jsb said:

I agree with what has been said about Tuch, Skinner and Thompson individually BUT together they have such chemistry. You can't overestimate the area that Tuch and Thompson cover with their length and it gives Skinner the capability to do Skinner things. I never thought Skinner was anything but a chaos forward and paired with the other 2 guys, he's able to be just that.

Yep it's a great line. 

What increases my optimism about Tage is that three different times this year I've thought that the line Tage is on is playing so well that we need to keep it together. The first iteration was him with Olofsson and Asplund, two guys most of us have cooled off of. 

When you can say that about a player, it is a very good sign 

But yes this particular first line needs to stay together because it brings out the best in 3 players we need to be playing well to have a chance to win

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Mannerisms was the wrong word. I just think that with the puck on his stick, he plays like he has more skill than he does. So there are times when he has Tage, Skinner, or a point man wide open for a dangerous shot while he's at a goofy/awkward angle to the net with a guy right on him, and he'll try to take a shot or make a move almost every time instead, and will lose possession harmlessly. He does the same thing in transition, choosing to keep the puck when he should pass it far more often than most players, and doesn't have the skill to make anything happen the way an Eichel does (not making the comparison because of the trade, just because eichel is a prototypical transition player who does the same things more effectively)

None of those guys plays the classic give-and-go game. They are all shoot-first. They all want the puck and are on a mission to go get it. They all want to beat people one on one all the time.

I mean, it's not like they don't pass, but it's rarely the primary option.

It's so bizarre, one of the most unconventional effective offensive lines I have ever seen.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

Another thing I notice the Sabres are much better at lately is stick on puck... even Crosby struggled last night and had a number of give aways... Sabres have been so bad at it the last couple of years, last night it was really noticeable... take away time and space and stick on puck is what Granato preaches and the Sabres have gotten so much better at it.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, eman said:

He must be master of the gab to convince the Pegula's he was "the guy" to coach this team. Unbelievable how brutal they were under him and how the group today plays. Did Kruger coach at all while he was here? Wow!

I'll continue to chafe against this idea that one Sabres team can be compared directly to the next. We don't know how Rakru would do with this iteration. *ducks

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

^ Did I just unwittingly tune in to see Mike Harrington on a Zoom close-up? #NeverAgain

The kids call it a Spank Bank.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh God Kruger sucks

What was he supposed to do when John was his best player? #keepyournarrativesstraight

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

None of those guys plays the classic give-and-go game. They are all shoot-first. They all want the puck and are on a mission to go get it. They all want to beat people one on one all the time.

It's so bizarre, one of the most unconventional effective offensive lines I have ever seen.

Great observation and what I think makes that work especially when they're at their best is you can see the time and space it gives the other 2 forwards when they retrieve the puck. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jsb said:

Great observation and what I think makes that work especially when they're at their best is you can see the time and space it gives the other 2 forwards when they retrieve the puck. 

Because they are all so puck-hungry, when a turnover happens (positive or negative) there is almost always a linemate nearby to pounce on it. The puck and the players are usually headed toward the net. And they do force a lot of turnovers, in fact all three of them are very good at that, really in all three zones.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

Go Away Reaction GIF

Did I ever mention I closely followed Mike into the Sabres Store before a game (or maybe it was just through the atrium). I was close enough to notice a not-insignificant amount of cat/pet? hair on his nicely-aged sweater. I can ensure you that image is quickly brought to bear when necessary.

1 hour ago, jsb said:

I never thought Skinner was anything but a chaos forward and paired with the other 2 guys, he's able to be just that.

The second Tage goal was a marvelous example.  Skinner driving along the boards, faking a pass to Tuch as he enters the zone, diving down below the goal line, carrying the puck.... no, willing the puck... along the boards and somehow kind of keeping control and as soon as the second D jumps in to double team him, he coughs it up (calling it a pass would be charitable, although he was credited with an assist) to Tuch with speed who carries behind the net, drawing the low forward to him since the two D are still on Skinner in the corner and then Tuch passes it right through the covering forward to a wide open Tage.  The whole thing was caused by Skinner being Skinner.

1 hour ago, jsb said:

By the way has anyone noticed we're now 7th from the bottom, 1 point behind the Blackhawks and 5 behind the media darling Cinderella team, the Red Wings. Quite the climb this month has brought about and is this the best March we've had in at least a decade??

Passing the Wings by the end of the season would be success in my mind.  It's possible; they're playing awful these days.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think with Skinner, he just advances the puck and keeps the rush going until he either gets a show or is so thoroughly covered that he can pass to a wide open guy.  His stick handling is so unconventional:  He stops and starts a lot, maintaining loose possession of the puck, but if a defender gets a stick on it, he doesn't give up, he just takes it back right away.  It must be exhausting to cover him.

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

dat ass GIF

Is this grade A kummelwick?

Oh My Omg GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.