GDT: 3/10/2022, Vegas Knight @ Buffalo Sabres, 7pm ESPN+ 📺 and wgr 📻

LGR4GM

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I was going to post sometehing similar.   They're a much better, faster team with him in the lineup.  Really hope they don't trade him.

Vinny needs to stay.  He has speed that can't be taught, and we don't have enough of that yet.  

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I was going to post sometehing similar.   They're a much better, faster team with him in the lineup.  Really hope they don't trade him.

You make a good point about a player like Hinostroza. He could be a good low line player that adds some production. For the past number of years there has been little production from the lower lines. As the team adds talent players will be more appropriately slotted. Because of the talent deficit they are playing above their paygrade. The same line of thinking applies to the defensive pairings.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's a fair point. Do the Sabres keep their thumbs on WGR hosts that strongly? I've definitely not heard anything to that degree about the Bills before. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Craig is just being reactionary and going with the flow

Rivet and Peters worked for PSE, not WGR. The Instigators and One Bills Live are PSE-produced shows.

As for Rivet, here's what's funny. He was defending Jack fully on the pod that ran right before the game. Then he tweets that?? Talk about a one-eighty.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Nights like that can help a city fall in love with its team again.

The Sabres needed last night to happen that way. Sabres win, players from the trade score, Eichel neutralized. But Jack's comments were the icing on the cake. That will, hopefully, put the Eichel saga to bed going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

It absolutely was a fun game.

But, c’mon. There is no denying that it’s a little sad that all we get as Sabres fans is a meaningless win against a team that has an old player that we sacrificed an entire decade of watchable hockey on, in yet another playoffless season.

Why do I have be sad all the time? Step off, I enjoyed the game and idc about the season. 

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Poor choice of words. More like an unplanned podcast.

Oh no, it's Peter's and Rivet having an emergency podcast. They are both dramatic, which makes them fun. 

People compare Eichel to Josh Allen. The difference between the two is Allen was doubted his entire life and had to fight to get to where he is now. Jack Eichel was the golden child, the special case, always on elite teams, surrounded with the best cast.

So being the guy with the pressure to lift a moribund franchise was too much for him. He didn't know how to respond because he was never in that situation. And maybe his character didn't lend itself to being the guy to lead. And that's not a knock. That's just being human. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Howard just took it to another level when he screamed at a fan and hung up on him. He made Schopp look like a nice guy. 

Howard drives me nuts. A few weeks ago, Briere had apparently done a podcast and gave some new/interesting info about the summer of 07. Jeremy was gearing up to tell us what he said as the show was ending. Inexplicably, Howard started shouting and pouting something along the lines of "NO YOU CANT TELL I DONT WANT TO KNOW,IT HURTS TOO MUCH." Jeremy tried to push through and tell it, and Howard continued to shut him down. Unbelievably, the show ends and I still haven't heard what Danny said.

First of all, it didn't make any sense. If you loved briere so much wouldn't you want to know more about who to blame and why he left rather than being left in the dark? Second, you are a talk show host and should be providing your listeners with more stories and info, not less. Third, he was whining like a toddler. I still can't believe that this happened

And he also posesses the worst of the analytics crowd's smugness/elitism without any of their understanding or mathematical talent 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Who cares about John and what he said post game.

I don't think that he is worth booing.

The Sabres played a great game and won against a better team because they just played better and harder.  They wanted it more.

That's all that matters.

Not the fact the two players traded for Jack scored? Not that Tuch scored off an Eichel turnover? Not that Eichel got blanked? It all mattered. Then add the comments. After all the choreography to make Jack look like the victim of the Sabres, he put a match to it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Who cares about John and what he said post game.

I don't think that he is worth booing.

The Sabres played a great game and won against a better team because they just played better and harder.  They wanted it more.

That's all that matters.

Animated GIF

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

That tightness was evident during the post game tribute to Anderson. Terrific highlight video that included a congrats from his parents and you could see how touched Anderson was and every one of his teammates stayed out there in the moment. Good stuff to witness up close.

Thanks for this. It’s really gotten lost in this thread.

Anderson played his ass off. His teammates were clearly was so happy for him.

I’m struggling to recall the last moment a group of Sabres looked/felt like a team in the way like they did at the end of that game.

We’ve spilled so many pixels on here moaning about culture, and about how it needs to change before the results do.

Maybe it’s actually happening.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Anderson was solid as a freaking rock last night.

He's one of only 39 goalies ever to win 300 games.  That's pretty impressive.

He shouldn't be a #1 at this point in his career, but when healthy he's played pretty well this year.

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m struggling to recall the last moment a group of Sabres looked/felt like a team in the way like they did at the end of that game.

We’ve spilled so many pixels on here moaning about culture, and about how it needs to change before the results do.

These things are so volatile and even delicate (not the right word, but ...?) when they're coming together. If they can start being a @deluca67 .500 team at some point over the next ~50 games (not be Deluca 500 over the next 50), then they're on their way -- because the culture is there. But if they don't become that sort of club by/within next season, then culture is for naught -- you gotta win.

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Anderson was solid as a freaking rock last night.

He's one of only 39 goalies ever to win 300 games.  That's pretty impressive.

He shouldn't be a #1 at this point in his career, but when healthy he's played pretty well this year.

I love the guy, and his teammates clearly do as well. Precisely right, though, about being a #1 or even a 1A isn't something he should be doing right now.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Hate is never the answer. Only love is. Hate cannot lead to love. It's all we need.

This is sports, man. Fug that sh1t. Hate* is fun as hell.

*Sports hate. This isn't real life.

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Let’s hope. 

Being mere feet from the ice near the bench, we could see how genuine the affection for Anderson was from the entire team. Especially Tuch, who is the definition of “glue guy” as evidenced by the reactions of 22 different personalities to his give and take with them. He literally made it a point to connect with EVERY teammate after the game; even Tokarski. And they all respond to him the same way. Just a great thing to witness. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

These things are so volatile and even delicate (not the right word, but ...?) when they're coming together. If they can start being a @deluca67 .500 team at some point over the next ~50 games (not be Deluca 500 over the next 50), then they're on their way -- because the culture is there. But if they don't become that sort of club by/within next season, then culture is for naught -- you gotta win.

This is why I don’t sweat Donnie’s use of Eakin too much now, but I will later.

We talk a lot about player development being his priority, but that includes off the ice as well and I like seeing signs that is happening.

• Like (+1) 1

BTW:  I loved Fitzgerald's fight, even though Kolesar (who is 6'2", 221 lbs, compared to Fitz, who is 5'11", 188 lbs) pulled a total punk move in hitting him when they were already down on the ice.

Has anyone heard anything on Fitz?  I hope he wasn't concussed.  He's added a very nice element to the D group.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

BTW:  I loved Fitzgerald's fight, even though Kolesar (who is 6'2", 221 lbs, compared to Fitz, who is 5'11", 188 lbs) pulled a total punk move in hitting him when they were already down on the ice.

Has anyone heard anything on Fitz?  I hope he wasn't concussed.  He's added a very nice element to the D group.

Man did he ever answer the bell. Total punk move by the Las Vegas player. I haven't heard an update on Fitzgerald - did he not return to action?

I do hope he can carve out a role in the 3rd pairing (on a good team). I love the element of cah-raz-ee that he brings.

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1