GDT: 3/10/2022, Vegas Knight @ Buffalo Sabres, 7pm ESPN+ 📺 and wgr 📻

LGR4GM

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Too much attention about this game is directed toward the player and the response directed at him when the biggest takeaway should have been about how the Sabres played and  how jacked-up the crowd was (beyond the booing) in this arena. 

Man, YOU about to get booed up in here!

Half Baked Boo GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Here's my thing. 

The organization hurt Eichel. They didn't support him enough and get him enough talent to win. They screwed around with his surgery. The fans sold out the arena to support him and watch him play. Now, who did Eichel target with his childish ire after a tough loss? He went after the fans, not the organization that failed him. 

Yea, you got booed because a fan base that didn't get millions to deal with the worst org in hockey was frustrated and Eichels response was attack that fanbase instead of letting them have their moment and moving on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

“The fans are allowed to behave within reason the way they want.” I’m not convinced you actually believe that otherwise you wouldn’t characterize them for being boorish for doing just that last night. 

Honest or not, Eichel’s response was immature, insulting, and classless. Brisson has more work to do with a client who just can’t help himself and has always been an emotional train wreck when handling adversity. 

And as I’ve said earlier, the same fans that booed his every possession also gave him a standing ovation during his tribute video. Guess Jack didn’t hear that when he took his little raised stick skate around in his show of thanks to the very fans he saw fit to throw under the bus later on. 

You don't have to be happy with how he handled the interview. The reality is that he didn't have to go out and be interviewed after the game. But he still did it. (We have had this discussion before about Jack and interviews.) He doesn't hide his feelings and does show his emotions in interviews and on the ice. He's far from being a placid person. And during the interview he didn't throw all the fans under the bus. (As you state it.) He commented that some fans booed him while others didn't. 

My point in the original post is that those who booed throughout the game shouldn't be so sensitive when some shade is thrown back on them. It goes both ways. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You don't have to be happy with how he handled the interview. The reality is that he didn't have to go out and be interviewed after the game. But he still did it. (We have had this discussion before about Jack and interviews.) He doesn't hide his feelings and does show his emotions in interviews and on the ice. He's far from being a placid person. And during the interview he didn't throw all the fans under the bus. (As you state it.) He commented that some fans booed him while others didn't. 

My point in the original post is that those who booed throughout the game shouldn't be so sensitive when some shade is thrown back on them. It goes both ways. 

He attacked fans for his and the organization failing. He can ***** off

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

He attacked fans for his and the organization failing. He can ***** off

I have no problem with him responding in the unvarnished manner that he did. I understand why most fans don't. His response simply reflected how he felt. It's blown out of proportion. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I have no problem with him responding in the unvarnished manner that he did. I understand why most fans don't. His response simply reflected how he felt. It's blown out of proportion. 

His response reflected a helluva lot more than that. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Your response is a classy and mature response. Too much attention about this game is directed toward the player and the response directed at him when the biggest takeaway should have been about how the Sabres played and  how jacked-up the crowd was (beyond the booing) in this arena. As you clearly and pointedly stated the Sabres played better and harder than the opposition. 

Allow me to give a minority view here. If the fans want to boo throughout the game when Jack was on the ice, that is their prerogative. As a paying customer they are allowed to do so. But the backside to the unrelenting booing is that when after the game the targeted player responds in a somewhat petulant and critical manner, that is also his prerogative. Fans act as if he is not entitled to sarcastically respond to the same fans who booed him throughout the game. I give credit to Jack for giving an honest answer about how he felt after the game. 

The people who are the loudest to indict him for his negative response after the game are the same boorish fans who put more effort in booing a traded player than in cheering their own team on in a game they played well. For the obnoxious fans, please spare me the sensitive act that a player didn't show class in an interview after he was subjected to a game full of boos. The moral of the story is: If you throw shiiiit, then don't be offended when it is thrown back at you. 

I think you’re having unrealistic expectations about this game. For better or worse, this game was made out to be about Jack coming back by multiple independent parties. The announcers couldn’t shut up about it. The Sabres made a video. Multiple media sites played it as such, including local media. And the fans cheered and booed as fans do. The fans were justified in having said reaction just as much as everyone else who made a big deal about this game. 

That said, and I’m sure you’d agree, Eichel could’ve handled the interview in a more graceful or good hearted manner, even while throwing plenty shade at the fans. 

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's my thing. 

The organization hurt Eichel. They didn't support him enough and get him enough talent to win. They screwed around with his surgery. The fans sold out the arena to support him and watch him play. Now, who did Eichel target with his childish ire after a tough loss? He went after the fans, not the organization that failed him. 

Yea, you got booed because a fan base that didn't get millions to deal with the worst org in hockey was frustrated and Eichels response was attack that fanbase instead of letting them have their moment and moving on. 

Eichel spent all the time from his end of year presser to the day he was traded targeting the organization, not to mention the hit job on the Weidman podcast. Maybe he just needed some new meat for his “antics.” 😂

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:

He didn't want to be interviewed after, the media had to get the Knights to send him out. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Eichel spent all the time from his end of year presser to the day he was traded targeting the organization, not to mention the hit job on the Weidman podcast. Maybe he just needed some new meat for his “antics.” 😂

Which is fine. No problem, but don't crap on the fans because your fragile ego was hurt. So you got booed, deal with it. 

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

But you have a problem with fans reaction to that. 

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I guess I would say that the fans responded to Jack with boos because that was how they felt. Some fans feel slighted. They’ll get over it much like Jack will. I would say this to Jack though. You are in control of your legacy. Act in a manner that a professional would and that will go a long way towards what your legacy is. Right now its trending towards whiney douchenozzle. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Sometimes honesty is not the best way to handle a situation.   Sometimes rather than being honest you might be better of taking the fifth and saying nothing at all. In an interview that might mean just holding back and giving a plain vanilla response.  Some people learn that it is possible that our “honest opinions” might be hurtful, or misunderstood, or maybe even wrong.   So we check our emotions and move on.  Jack struggles with this.  Besides, you don’t know if he was being honest or not.  Just because he is being controversial does not mean he is being honest.  

Jack is an emotional guy and has a history of showing it with his words, body language, facial expressions, and even a few broken sticks.  At some point we grow up and we realize not every battle can be won, so we learn to manage our emotions and channel it into something more positive.    I think he showed his new teammates a little more about himself last night and I doubt it was good.  

• Like (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sometimes honesty is not the best way to handle a situation.   Sometimes rather than being honest you might be better of taking the fifth and saying nothing at all. In an interview that might mean just holding back and giving a plain vanilla response.  Some people learn that it is possible that our “honest opinions” might be hurtful, or misunderstood, or maybe even wrong.   So we check our emotions and move on.  Jack struggles with this.  Besides, you don’t know if he was being honest or not.  Just because he is being controversial does not mean he is being honest.  

Jack is an emotional guy and has a history of showing it with his words, body language, facial expressions, and even a few broken sticks.  At some point we grow up and we realize not every battle can be won, so we learn to manage our emotions and channel it into something more positive.    I think he showed his new teammates a little more about himself last night and I doubt it was good.  

Jack stated what he felt. For some people he was honest to a fault. I have no problem with that. He made a reference in his post game comments about the lack of attendance and interest by fans while he was there. What's sad is not that he said it so much as it is true. There were 12,000 plus fans at a game that was double the normal size. The size of the crowd was double the normal size because he was in this game. It was a barb but it was true. 

As I said before, fans can boo all they want. That's their prerogative. What I find ironic is that when some shade is thrown back at some of them by someone who was booed throughout the game they act as if it uncalled for. That's nonsense. He's entitled to express his thoughts as others are able to. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

He didn't want to be interviewed after, the media had to get the Knights to send him out. 

Which is fine. No problem, but don't crap on the fans because your fragile ego was hurt. So you got booed, deal with it. 

But you have a problem with fans reaction to that. 

Jack did not have to do the post game interview. I don't care who went out to get him. If he didn't want to do it, he doesn't do it. 

You got it backwards. The fans have every right to respond in the manner they want. And so does he within reason. If fans can't handle his candid comments, that their problem. He didn't have to do the interview. To his credit he did. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Jack stated what he felt. For some people he was honest to a fault. I have no problem with that. He made a reference in his post game comments about the lack of attendance and interest by fans while he was there. What's sad is not that he said it so much as it is true. There were 12,000 plus fans at a game that was double the normal size. The size of the crowd was double the normal size because he was in this game. It was a barb but it was true. 

As I said before, fans can boo all they want. That's their prerogative. What I find ironic is that when some shade is thrown back at some of them by someone who was booed throughout the game they act as if it uncalled for. That's nonsense. He's entitled to express his thoughts as others are able to. 

It wasn't true. You can sit in here claiming it was but that arena was packed and loud for Eichel on numerous occasions. At the 2019 home opener it was deafening in there. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

I guess I would say that the fans responded to Jack with boos because that was how they felt. Some fans feel slighted. They’ll get over it much like Jack will. I would say this to Jack though. You are in control of your legacy. Act in a manner that a professional would and that will go a long way towards what your legacy is. Right now its trending towards whiney douchenozzle. 

You are absolutely right that fans have a right to respond in a manner that they want to (within reason). And so does he. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If there is one word we can definitely use to describe Jack, entitled is likely the correct one.  

• Like (+1) 3

Jack did not have to do the post game interview. I don't care who went out to get him. If he didn't want to do it, he doesn't do it. 

You got it backwards. The fans have every right to respond in the manner they want. And so does he within reason. If fans can't handle his candid comments, that their problem. He didn't have to do the interview. To his credit he did. 

Lol, I'm not giving him credit for talking after a game I would expect him to talk after. That's like giving Bob credit for responding when you yell "hey Bob!"

Just now, JohnC said:

You are absolutely right that fans have a right to respond in a manner that they want to (within reason). And so does he. 

And now fans are responding to his response. Fair game. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

It wasn't true. You can sit in here claiming it was but that arena was packed and loud for Eichel on numerous occasions. At the 2019 home opener it was deafening in there. 

The last couple of years the place was half empty and the environment was similar to a morgue. Yesterday's attendance was double the normal size for this year. And the jump in attendance was due to his presence. That is pathetic. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol, I'm not giving him credit for talking after a game I would expect him to talk after. That's like giving Bob credit for responding when you yell "hey Bob!"

And now fans are responding to his response. Fair game. 

You are as usual missing my point. You are right the fans' response is fair game. And so is his response. That's the point!

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I can personally attest to that. Eichel’s memory was clouded during his childish outburst.

• Like (+1) 1

The last couple of years the place was half empty and the environment was similar to a morgue. Yesterday's attendance was double the normal size for this year. And the jump in attendance was due to his presence. That is pathetic. 

What is pathetic about it?  People wanted to see his return.  Its no different than crowds increasing because McDavid is in town, or Crosby.  They aren’t cheering those two either, but they come to see him.

The crowds were bigger when Boston came too.  They were there to boo Lucic and The Nose, and hopefully watch our team embarrass them.  Same difference.  He’s The Enemy now.

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In the case of John Eichel vs the Sabres fans and court of public opinion, your defense (of him) should rest. 

• Thanks (+1) 1