GDT: 3/10/2022, Vegas Knight @ Buffalo Sabres, 7pm ESPN+ 📺 and wgr 📻

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, Weave said:

What is pathetic about it?  People wanted to see his return.  Its no different than crowds increasing because McDavid is in town, or Crosby.  They aren’t cheering those two either, but they come to see him.

The crowds were bigger when Boston came too.  They were there to boo Lucic and The Nose, and hopefully watch our team embarrass them.  Same difference.  He’s The Enemy now.

What's pathetic is that the Sabres are drawing 4000-6000 people to their home games. It doubled in size because he was playing in this game. He mentioned it in his interview. It was a critical but true remark. Buffalo ranks 31 out of the 32 teams in attendance. In Vegas, Jack will be playing in front of capacity crowds for the whole season. When a team has gone through 2/3 of the season and the highest attendance is 12,000, that is both sad and pathetic. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

What's pathetic is that the Sabres are drawing 4000-6000 people to their home games. It doubled in size because he was playing in this game. He mentioned it in his interview. It was a critical but true remark. Buffalo ranks 31 out of the 32 teams in attendance. In Vegas, Jack will be playing in front of capacity crowds for the whole season. When a team has gone through 2/3 of the season and the highest attendance is 12,000, that is both sad and pathetic. 

That's not what he said. You're now changing what he said. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

A star player who fans had an emotional attachment to due to what they went through to get him, asks to be moved, wonders why the interest in his return game is higher than normal?  This is pathetic?  It’s about the most human reaction I can think of.  His entire time here was emotionally charged.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You know the old saying, “If you’re not part of the solution you’re part of the problem?” What’s also pathetic is Eichel’s failure to be part of the solution and seeking a trade when he realized that. His failure here largely contributed to the fans having had enough and deciding to stay away in droves. We renewed our STs, so I must be a glutton for punishment. But yeah, keep blaming all of us boorish fans.

• Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How many games have you attended this year?

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

boo GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Sometimes honesty is not the best way to handle a situation.   Sometimes rather than being honest you might be better of taking the fifth and saying nothing at all. In an interview that might mean just holding back and giving a plain vanilla response.  Some people learn that it is possible that our “honest opinions” might be hurtful, or misunderstood, or maybe even wrong.   So we check our emotions and move on.  Jack struggles with this.  Besides, you don’t know if he was being honest or not.  Just because he is being controversial does not mean he is being honest.  

Well said and wise advice for all to follow.

Other past Sabre characters that struggled with this are GM Tim Murray (the guy had some bizarre comments and behavior during interviews) and Ryan O'Reilly (criticized for saying he had lost the love of the game multiple times).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Covid never existed either? The mandates where dropped a week ago and that has had no effect on recent game turnouts either? There have increased dramatically by the way.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/buffalo-sabres-attendance-thousands-below-pre-covid-numbers

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Ok. Let go into a time machine back to the 2018-2019 season. No Covid back then. The Sabres were 16tg in attendance. Right in the middle. Not sure that’s an attendance problem, especially watching the star of Eichel unfold. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2019

The year before? Sabres were 11th in the league  

https://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2018

There seems to be a lot of revisionism going on here. All we need to do is look at the official numbers, can’t argue with them  

• Like (+1) 2

On a side note, I've been watching the Knights/Pens game tonight.  Pen's are up 3 to 2 with about 12 minutes left in the 3rd.  Pen's were up 2-0 after one and VGK was very flat.   Eichel ends up scoring VGK's first goal from in front of the net and VGK tied it later in the 2nd.  4 goals, 8 assists in 12 games so far.  He was on the ice for the Pen's go ahead goal in the 3rd...was a little late covering the Pen's D-man who jumped into the play and scored.  He was interviwed between periods, but the VGK broadcast did not bring up the Sabres game last night.

Forgot to mention that Max Pacioretti left the game in the second...so VGK is down another scorer...has not returned.

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Thanks (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Ok. Let go into a time machine back to the 2018-2019 season. No Covid back then. The Sabres were 16tg in attendance. Right in the middle. Not sure that’s an attendance problem, especially watching the star of Eichel unfold. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2019

The year before? Sabres were 11th in the league  

https://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2018

There seems to be a lot of revisionism going on here. All we need to do is look at the official numbers, can’t argue with them  

The covid era that applies to Buffalo applies to every hockey franchise in the league. I'm aware of the Canadian and border restrictions that impacted our attendance. Compare Detroit's attendance to ours! If you want to look at the numbers then look at the numbers. We are second-last in attendance. That's a reality. 

51 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Covid never existed either? The mandates where dropped a week ago and that has had no effect on recent game turnouts either? There have increased dramatically by the way.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/buffalo-sabres-attendance-thousands-below-pre-covid-numbers

Much of the dramatic decline in attendance in Buffalo is due to a decade of a poorly run franchise. Look at the team's record over the past number of years? That's the biggest contributor to the decline in attendance. That's the reality. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Much of the dramatic decline in attendance in Buffalo is due to a decade of a poorly run franchise. Look at the team's record over the past number of years? That's the biggest contributor to the decline in attendance. That's the reality. 

Yes, I think we all agree on this. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How many games have you attended this year?

I live out of town. Other than a short visit for a funeral I have not been in town for years. I watch most of the Sabre games on Directv's Centre Ice. So what's your point? 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Out of proportion? Not really. 

Of course the response was out of proportion to what should have been the main story of a victory against Vegas. I was ecstatic about the win. What a traded player said in an interview after being booed the whole game didn't consume me to the extent that it has a lot of people. People can respond anyway they want within reason. A player is entitled to express his feelings in an interview as well. I would rather listen to a player give a genuine response than a bulll shiiiit cliche response. 

20 hours ago, Pimlach said:
23 hours ago, Weave said:

Too bad we lost Sam in the process of moving on from Jack.

We lost Sam because Botterill sucks as a GM. 

Don't kid yourselves:  Kevyn had already identified Sam for a trade probably even before he was GM.  That's why as GM he only signed him to a one-year deal; he knew it was Sam's last season in the blue & gold.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It wasn't true. You can sit in here claiming it was but that arena was packed and loud for Eichel on numerous occasions. At the 2019 home opener it was deafening in there. 

And over the past year it has been quiet like a morgue. 

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Too much attention about this game is directed toward the player and the response directed at him when the biggest takeaway should have been about how the Sabres played and  how jacked-up the crowd was (beyond the booing) in this arena... the Sabres played better and harder than the opposition. 

But the WHY of all of that was Jack.  It was the fans lustily rejecting the past Sabre and heartily throwing their support to the current Sabres.  But don't kid yourself, the Sabres' game was all about the response directed toward Jack.

I hope the Knights miss the playoffs this season and every season Jack plays for them.  I hope he never plays a playoff game in his life.

He wasn't happy about not having a good enough team around him to make the playoffs; when Kevyn said fine, then let's do it right, Jack's was response was "I don't want to be part of another rebuild."  Okay, then be part of the gradual fall into mediocrity with VGK.

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

He wasn't happy about not having a good enough team around him to make the playoffs; when Kevyn said fine, then let's do it right, Jack's was response was "I don't want to be part of another rebuild."  Okay, then be part of the gradual fall into mediocrity with VGK.

I agree with your characterization. It was well known that Jack wanted out. I don't blame him for not wanting to be part of another rebuild. Sam also wanted out. Risto also wanted out. McCabe was not going to sign here. Jack is in a better situation for himself as are the Sabres considering the situation. It's a business where the parties involved look out for the best interest. It happens all the time in pro sports. I'm not bothered by it. There is nothing unusual about players wanting out of bad situations. That's the nature of the business. 

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

On a side note, I've been watching the Knights/Pens game tonight.  Pen's are up 3 to 2 with about 12 minutes left in the 3rd.  Pen's were up 2-0 after one and VGK was very flat.   Eichel ends up scoring VGK's first goal from in front of the net and VGK tied it later in the 2nd.  4 goals, 8 assists in 12 games so far.  He was on the ice for the Pen's go ahead goal in the 3rd...was a little late covering the Pen's D-man who jumped into the play and scored.  He was interviwed between periods, but the VGK broadcast did not bring up the Sabres game last night.

Forgot to mention that Max Pacioretti left the game in the second...so VGK is down another scorer...has not returned.

I believe you mean 4 goals, 4 assists, he currently has 8 points on the season.

• Thanks (+1) 1