GDT: 3/10/2022, Vegas Knight @ Buffalo Sabres, 7pm ESPN+ 📺 and wgr 📻

LGR4GM

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Could this be the game we point to as the game this team actually turned the corner and learned how to win?

That's basically what I said an hour ago in the what a dick thread

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I'd gotten away from hockey in the 1980s and in 1991 I moved to Detroit.  For the period I lived there I became a pretty big Red Wings fan.  The Wings lost the 1996 conference finals to the Avs in a series punctuated by Claude Lemieux literally breaking Kris Draper's face on the dasher on a dirty hit from behind.  The next season, in the final regular season game with the Avs, the Wings won a raucous back-and-forth game 6-5 in overtime, a game in which Darren McCarty beat the livin' snot outta Lemieux and also scored the winning goal in OT.  It was a turning point game, a game that launched the Red Wings dynasty.  They won the Cup that year and would repeat the following season, and add a couple more before the dynasty faded.

That's all background... but that game felt like this game.  The Sabres nemesis was not a team, though, but Jack Eichel and what he symbolizes- the years of Sabres futility, both leading up to his drafting, and in the years that followed.  I felt the Sabres exorcised demons tonight.  Eichel could have had a hat trick tonight and haunted the Sabres for years to come, but that's not how it played out.  The Eichel era is over.  A new era has come.  It was poetic that tradefruit Krebs put the Sabres up in the 1st period.  It was even more so when Alex Tuch stole the puck from Jack Eichel and sealed the game with an empty netter.  But it really didn't have to be them.  It just needed to be a solid team win against the Team of Eichel.  And it was.

Looking back on The Tank, many remember Buffalo fans cheering for an Arizona win to help cement a high draft pick in a season of futility.  That loss showed how far the Sabres had fallen.  We thought we "won" when we were assured of McDavid or at least Eichel.  But the curse of The Tank followed the team and in the end it was just never going to work with Eichel.  I think we will similarly look back at this game as the the game when the Sabres got their soul back, got their mojo back.  They will play out the string this year and probably not win that much, but this will be the game that signaled the end of the Eichel era and the beginning of a winning era for the Sabres.

Farewell, Jack, and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

I was going to post sometehing similar.   They're a much better, faster team with him in the lineup.  Really hope they don't trade him.

He might be one of those guys they talked to about trade & return option.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I was going to post sometehing similar.   They're a much better, faster team with him in the lineup.  Really hope they don't trade him.

Even if they do trade him, it doesn’t mean they can’t re-sign him in the off-season. I have re-signing in both Capfriendly rosters I’ve posted.  He fits well here and is great insurance for injuries or struggling kids.

I feel like Mitts and VO are rounding back into form.  The ESPN announcers were astonished with VO’s wristwr.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Not gonna lie. This feels pretty good.  Feels like a team came together to give some comeuppance to a guy that was keeping them from coming together.

Too bad we lost Sam in the process of moving on from Jack.

We lost Sam because Botterill sucks as a GM. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just got in from a miserable day of travel.  Flying is no fun. 

That game was amazing.  Eichel’s comments only confirm what I’ve been told by insiders and Sabres Alumni. That Eichel is cancerous and bad for this teams development.   According to Harrington he may have recovered later in the interview but that is a child’s game that Eichel is playing … fire off cheap shots then walk it back and say other nice things to make others reconsider.  A soft soap routine.   

I am happy with Tuch and Krebs.  Both are classy.  Krebs is a kid and already handles interviews better.  Hoping Vegas misses the playoffs and we get a better pick.  Vegas can have fun letting more solid players go to accommodate Jacks contract.  

• Like (+1) 7

Solid game... great to hear the fans and good on Sabres for hanging in the second and then stepping up in the 3rd... Krebs best game and Tuch playing with his heart on his sleeve... more injury concerns... but otherwise satisfying game... now do the same to the great Satan

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NAF said:

Is that the biggest Sabres win in 3 years?

Maybe, but we have to strive for more. 

5 hours ago, Curt said:

People are going to defend him by saying that it was right after a tough, emotional loss, and that it must be hard to go out and be booed.

I agree, but it is in difficult situations where people show you who they really are.  Eichel is a great player and on a good team, he can be an important piece, I have no doubt.  But he is kind of bratty, I don’t think he is much of a leader, and if Vegas is expecting that Eichel will put them on his back and pull them out of struggling I’m afraid that they may be disappointed.

Bratty might be the perfect word for him. 

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Andrew Peters said he and Craig Rivet were doing an emergency podcast tonight to discuss this topic. Will be up tomorrow I assume.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/after-the-whistle-with-andrew-peters-craig-rivet/id1590573108

Emergency podcast? That's a little dramatic 

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Could this be the game we point to as the game this team actually turned the corner and learned how to win?

Probably not. I think it helps us in that process of learning to win but they'll be missteps and mistakes and reminders of what it takes still to come. If we pay attention though, they are ever so slowly starting to have more periods like the first in more games. Still a big hill to climb and that defense needs reinforcement. Dahlin is great and mule and Bryson are good but we need Power and Johnson. 

I liked the broadcast crew tonight. I didnt see the “ballwashing” others did. I thought they were good and fair.

I thought Eichel was really good on defense and without it, the Sabres could have had a couple more goals.

Bucci’s 300 Anderson call was great, as well.

That was fun.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Curt said:

People are going to defend him by saying that it was right after a tough, emotional loss, and that it must be hard to go out and be booed.

I agree, but it is in difficult situations where people show you who they really are.  Eichel is a great player and on a good team, he can be an important piece, I have no doubt.  But he is kind of bratty, I don’t think he is much of a leader, and if Vegas is expecting that Eichel will put them on his back and pull them out of struggling I’m afraid that they may be disappointed.

It is incredible how the narrative is shaping. Jesse Granger (VGK reporter) already coming up with excuses. 

Interesting how that was never the excuse in Buffalo. 

7 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That's all you could muster, huh?

C'mon. For as much as you ride Eakin, that was a big win.

It was only a big win because Eichel misplaced the puck and Tuch got the goal. So yes, one of the worst player in the NHL gets that and only that. 

Eakin is truly terrible, focus on him for a few shifts. It is mind numbingly terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It was only a big win because Eichel misplaced the puck and Tuch got the goal. So yes, one of the worst player in the NHL gets that and only that. 

Eakin is truly terrible, focus on him for a few shifts. It is mind numbingly terrible. 

Not sure why you keep expecting more.

8 minutes ago, Stads said:

On WGR,  Howard and Jeremy both said they thought it was sad to watch the game last night. How do you watch that game and not feel some pride in this organization that has been down for so long?

I feel like hosts do this where they just want to bag on ppl having fun. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Stads said:

On WGR,  Howard and Jeremy both said they thought it was sad to watch the game last night. How do you watch that game and not feel some pride in this organization that has been down for so long?

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It absolutely was a fun game.

But, c’mon. There is no denying that it’s a little sad that all we get as Sabres fans is a meaningless win against a team that has an old player that we sacrificed an entire decade of watchable hockey on, in yet another playoffless season.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Howard just took it to another level when he screamed at a fan and hung up on him. He made Schopp look like a nice guy. 

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

It is incredible how the narrative is shaping. Jesse Granger (VGK reporter) already coming up with excuses. 

Interesting how that was never the excuse in Buffalo. 

And I completely agree with what Jesse Granger says here.  That is exactly why Eichel said those things.  If you want to give Eichel the full benefit of doubt, maybe he didn’t even really mean them.  That’s viewing it best possible light for Eichel.

But even that speaks volumes I would say.  Someone who, when they are going through difficult moments, lashes out and says purposely hurtful things that they don’t mean.  What would you say about that person?

Immature? Bratty? *****?  Maybe.

Inspirational? Good guy? Leader?  Probably not.

• Like (+1) 3