NHL is going to try to back out of the Olympics.

Eleven

Just now, Flashsabre said:

5 weeks stuck in China, isolated who knows where and then at the mercy of the Chinese government to clear and release you to go home. Where do an sign up for that?🤪

Idk man, I'm still trying my best to get to North Korea 😂 I can't be the only person out there willing to take these chances.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

If National Teams do not do the right thing I hope that the NHL and / or the players do, either collectively or individually.

They must stand up and be accountable and tell the world that it has nothing to do with COVID.  Why would the damn IOC award the games to a country with a long history of human rights violations?

Not just once, but twice.

I remember when @inkmanvoiced his opposition to Beijing hosting the Summer Olympics back in 2008.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

If National Teams do not do the right thing I hope that the NHL and / or the players do, either collectively or individually.

They must stand up and be accountable and tell the world that it has nothing to do with COVID.  Why would the damn IOC award the games to a country with a long history of human rights violations?

This was rhetorical, right?

On the slim chance it wasn't, @Weave was on the right track.  The reason is $$$$$$$$$$$$ (¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥).

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/10/2021 at 10:18 PM, PerreaultForever said:

If this is true, I think there will be a number of older players none too happy. Especially some of the Europeans like Ovi and Rask. The older ones who want a shot at that gold. 

You want to know how much I care about that?

Not at all.

• Like (+1) 1

I enjoyed my short vacay in Beijing. The great wall, the forbidden city, a ming dynasty tomb, tea ceremony, sight seeing. No complaints. People were nice and aside from some smog and cabbies who wanted to turn off the meter because I was white in an effort to squeeze me for more cash everything went well.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yeah, China is a weird place man. 

It was. Bunch of gray buildings. The Red Guard. The air quality. I enjoyed the food though. However, what broke things for me was the lack of coffee in the morning. Was very hard to find. I also had a fever for half my days there and spent a good amount of time in the hotel room bed. 

Ohh, almost forgot. The bathrooms…wouldn’t wish them on my worse enemy. No toilet paper anywhere. However, the best bathrooms in the city were in the National Center for the Performing Arts. That was a cool building. 

Edited by kas23

11 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Wasn't planning on watching. The Olympics are no longer (and haven't been for decades) the best of amateur athletes. It's nothing more than one big commercial with a political narrative that makes the hosting channel the most amount of money. If it's canceled I could care less.

Not to mention being overhyped to the extreme. The athletes’ profiles and interviews are nauseatingly dramatized, as if we’re all watching The Young and The Restless. Man, I miss Jim McKay!

As an aside, I have a really sick feeling in my stomach that Japan will be reeling financially from the Summer Olympics for years to come since they didn’t allow spectators at any of their events.

• Like (+1) 1

Does anyone here know what quarantine would be like for 3-5 weeks for those who tested positive?  The stories I heard from a former employer's Chinese associates when the pandemic started there would make me think twice about going over -- and the second time would be "no."

4 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Does anyone here know what quarantine would be like for 3-5 weeks for those who tested positive?  The stories I heard from a former employer's Chinese associates when the pandemic started there would make me think twice about going over -- and the second time would be "no."

The authorities literally screw you door shut so you can't leave.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

If the NHL doesn't go I'll just have more time for Curling. 

Always enjoy the winter Olympics. 

Curling & Bobsled.  All the various skiing events, too.  Biathalon is an awesome concept.

Yeah, the Winter Olympics are IMHO more fun than the Summer Games.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.