Potential Sabres deadline moves(sellers)…

LabattBlue

What teams have high cap hits they even want to dump?  They’re all either key pieces or NMC

similarly Buffalo has essentially nothing to trade.  All it’s pieces are young promising players we need to stay patient with or pieces nobody wants. Edge case being a broken Miller.  Any other player is a mistake to get rid of. I’m not even sure Okposo would accept a trade out if some team wanted him half off. 

About all we can do is accept a pick and a dump. 

Edited by triumph_communes

9 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I like the sound of this.

And by not retaining on Eichel, the Sabres have all their retain spots open. 

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

What teams have high cap hits they even want to dump?  They’re all either key pieces or NMC

similarly Buffalo has essentially nothing to trade.  All it’s pieces are young promising players we need to stay patient with or pieces nobody wants. Edge case being a broken Miller.  Any other player is a mistake to get rid of. I’m not even sure Okposo would accept a trade out if some team wanted him half off. 

About all we can do is accept a pick and 

https://www.capfriendly.com/

It isn't just about teams with high cap that want to dump, teams with high cap who want to add are the key here. 

For example if the Sabres retain 50% and take a bad contract for next season, can they get a 2022 2nd? Can they get a Peterka level prospect?

The most exciting thing about this was the “hockey trade” part. 

First indication we’ve really seen from Adams that he wants to get better through the acquisition of real players, as opposed  to draft-and-develop.

Coupled with the cap space, it doesn’t just mean taking on cap dumps from contenders, it also means targetting hockey teams hitting the reset button. Teams like Vancouver, Montreal, Winnipeg and Philadelphia who are hard against cap and need to sell talent to buy cap space.

For example, the Canucks will likely be selling Brock Boeser. Or the Habs might want to part ways with Joel Edmundson or David Savard. Real NHL hockey players that our cap space could allow us to buy without sacrificing much talent.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Curt said:

That’s very good to hear.  Use that cap space please.

Yes please.  Hockey trades AND weaponized cap space.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

First indication we’ve really seen from Adams that he wants to get better through the acquisition of real players, as opposed  to draft-and-develop.

Coupled with the cap space, it doesn’t just mean taking on cap dumps from contenders, it also means getting real hockey teams hitting the reset button. Teams like Vancouver, Montreal, Winnipeg and Philadelphia who are hard against cap and need to sell talent to buy cap space.

For example, the Canucks will likely be selling Brock Boeser. Or the Habs might want to part ways with Joel Edmundson or David Savard. Real NHL hockey players that our cap space could allow us to buy without sacrificing much talent.

I know, right?

It moved.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not interested in Boeser. His cap hit will be too high for what he brings.

JT Miller though😀

Sabres need a top 4 RHD, someone that can partner with Power long term.

A top 6 forward that can add some grit and scoring.

And we all know about the net. A goalie like a Francouz that can bring stability while the kids develop.

With a couple savvy moves this offseason and with some health luck this team should be in a position to be consistently competitive next season.

15 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I’m not interested in Boeser. His cap hit will be too high for what he brings.

JT Miller though😀

Sabres need a top 4 RHD, someone that can partner with Power long term.

A top 6 forward that can add some grit and scoring.

And we all know about the net. A goalie like a Francouz that can bring stability while the kids develop.

With a couple savvy moves this offseason and with some health luck this team should be in a position to be consistently competitive next season.

it’s all about contracts and opportunity cost.

I think Boeser at 6/6 at 25 would be better than Victor Olofsson at 5/5 at 26. I also think Olofsson at 4/4 is better than Boeser at 7/7.

The best target on the Canucks might actually be Garland. He’s got an Alex Tuch deal and he’s the same age.

And he’s fast. I’m sure you’ve noticed how speed looks like it could be a defining characteristic of the team Adams is building.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Ducky said:

If it is 5 x 8m, I think Chevy would do it but I think he will want more.

My favorite posts, and they are increasing at unprecedented rate, is where someone responds to a post without quoting it, and the post ends up at the top of the next page with no indication of who or what they are talking about. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think Boeser at 6/6 at 25 would be better than Victor Olofsson at 5/5 at 26. I also think Olofsson at 4/4 is better than Boeser at 7/7.

The best target on the Canucks might actually be Garland. He’s got an Alex Tuch deal and he’s the same age.

And he’s fast. I’m sure you’ve noticed how speed looks like it could be a defining characteristic of the team Adams is building.

Good target.  Don’t know what Vancouver’s intentions are with him, but he is on a good deal, he is an East Coast guy, and I think he is someone who is just primed to explode for a 70+ point season if he can get into a good situation.

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Boeser’s qualifying offer is $7.5 which is why Vancouver wants to deal him.

Garland would be a good target but what are you willing to move for him?

Between now and the draft, I would like to see Adams:

-Trade a away a couple UFA vets (50% retained) for draft picks/prospects.

-Launder a couple players traded to other teams, retaining 50% of salaries, in exchange for draft picks/prospects.

-Judiciously use a couple assets (picks, surplus prospect, carefully selected roster player cough*olofsson*cough) to bring in a long term player (F or RD).  This player would need to be carefully selected.  Someone with years of team control at a reasonable salary, age 25 or younger, who would be happy to come to Buffalo, and who the scouting staff identifies as a fit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Boeser’s qualifying offer is $7.5 which is why Vancouver wants to deal him.

Garland would be a good target but what are you willing to move for him?

Sure, but you can offer him a lesser figure in exchange for term and he should take it.

Hes not getting $7.5 million with term from anyone as a 25-goal 50-point winger. It would be a 1-year thing.

It’s not the qualifying offer so much for Vancouver as it is committing to him as a core player with their cap situation as Rutherford tries to get better and faster.

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Right, so the only thing of value we have is cap space to buy old vets from losers. 

thanks for the cap friendly link- my post didn’t already mentioned no winners have junk they want to dump. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

That’s about as narrow an interpretation as you could make.

The other more wonderful end of the spectrum is we have cap space to take on unwanted contracts as longs as they pay us in picks/prospects accordingly. 

Gotta pay the garbage man to haul it away.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Coupled with the cap space, it doesn’t just mean taking on cap dumps from contenders, it also means targetting hockey teams hitting the reset button. Teams like Vancouver, Montreal, Winnipeg and Philadelphia who are hard against cap and need to sell talent to buy cap space.

David Savard, stay at home RHD, Cup winner. Hmmm.

Would the Sabres be willing to take Carey Price if he wants a change of scenery and Montreal wants the cap space to make a splash?

4 more years at a cap hit of $10.5.

He would be a perfect mentor for Levi, UPL or Portillo. He can win some games as well and transition into the 1B in a few years.

15 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Would the Sabres be willing to take Carey Price if he wants a change of scenery and Montreal wants the cap space to make a splash?

He would be a perfect mentor for Levi, UPL or Portillo. He can win some games as well and transition into the 1B in a few years.

NFW

26 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Nope, unless I get Montréal's 2023 first unprotected 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It isn't just about teams with high cap that want to dump, teams with high cap who want to add are the key here. 

For example if the Sabres retain 50% and take a bad contract for next season, can they get a 2022 2nd? Can they get a Peterka level prospect?

How many players can a team retain salary on in deals in a season, 2 or 3?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.