Jack Eichel and 2023 3rd Traded to Vegas for F Alex Tuch, C Peyton Krebs, 2022 1st Top Ten Protected and 2023 2nd

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

You don't think the spending of draft capital for established players wasn't driven by the Pegulas?

No.  Murray really wanted both O'Reilly & Lehner.  He also was on record stating that at best 1/2 of the draft picks would make it, so it was his job to figure out which guys would make it & trade the rest.  He also had no problem trading extra bodies to make sure he got his guy due to the 50 player limit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

If Jack was healthy he would be playing in front of a capacity crowd in Vegas. If Jack was healthy and still with Buffalo he would be playing in front of a less than half full arena. My point is that there are plenty of hockey fans in Vegas

Make no mistake about what I am saying here. I have no criticism for the fans in the local area losing faith in the organization and demonstrating it by their refusal at this time to buy tickets to the games. Even the GM has acknowledged the organization has to earn back the fans' support. 

And YOU make no mistake about this.  If the  Sabres were nearly as competitive as the Knights our crowd would be back at games.    The “plenty of fans in Vegas” didn’t show up.  They will go to the games and party, it’s a hot ticket that has known only success.  Still a fun novelty.   Big population that makes an average of $25,000 more than a Buffalo household on average.  The  Vegas Team created a nice  welcome for Jack.   Very nice.   When Jack and Dahlin came to Buffalo they were met by real hockey fans, and 5hey went out into the City and meet people - cops, fireman, nurses, schools, hospitals.  Maybe not as exciting as showgirls, mascots, drummers and limo tours of the Sin City Strip.  

I am just saying there were no fans there, fans that wear jerseys and live for the team, just workers from the hotel and PR Department.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

And YOU make no mistake about this.  If the  Sabres were nearly as competitive as the Knights our crowd would be back at games.    The “plenty of fans in Vegas” didn’t show up.  They will go to the games and party, it’s a hot ticket that has known only success.  Still a fun novelty.   Big population that makes an average of $25,000 more than a Buffalo household on average.  The  Vegas Team created a nice  welcome for Jack.   Very nice.   When Jack and Dahlin came to Buffalo they were met by real hockey fans, and 5hey went out into the City and meet people - cops, fireman, nurses, schools, hospitals.  Maybe not as exciting as showgirls, mascots, drummers and limo tours of the Sin City Strip.  

I am just saying there were no fans there, fans that wear jerseys and live for the team, just workers from the hotel and PR Department.  

Just like Vegas, it's all a veneer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

If i may comment on this conversation
What are your references to this ? your own personal thoughts?

I mean i feel it's kinda stupid to say that Vegas doesnt have die hard fans, i became a diehard fan for Buffalo Sabres within a year and im from Sweden.
I'm pretty sure there are cops, firemen, nurses, hospitals and schools that are very proud to be a knights fan in Vegas aswell, the only
difference is that Buffalo does not have showgirls (except @Taro T and @dudacek)

26 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Adam’s seems committed to developing a goalie, not trading for one. Toronto keeps trading for one and look where that got them. 

Patience is key here... with the cap space available next offseason there will plenty of "quick fix" options.   He needs to remain committed to the prospects and not exchange them for instant (yet fleeting) results.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

If i may comment on this conversation
What are your references to this ? your own personal thoughts?

I mean i feel it's kinda stupid to say that Vegas doesnt have die hard fans, i became a diehard fan for Buffalo Sabres within a year and im from Sweden.
I'm pretty sure there are cops, firemen, nurses, hospitals and schools that are very proud to be a knights fan in Vegas aswell, the only
difference is that Buffalo does not have showgirls (except @Taro T and @dudacek)

My reference is a comparison of the video of Dahlin arriving in Buffalo compared to the one of Jack arriving at a Vegas strip hotel.   Totally different and that’s ok.  They are different places. 

Vegas has had a team for what, 4 years?   All winning seasons too.  Hard to claim die hard status in that short of a time period. Die hard implies through winning and losing, the good and the bad, for a long time.  

12 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

+5 points to Gryffindor for sophisticated vocabulary usage.

-10 points from Gryffindor for pretentiousness on a sports forum.

Pretty low threshold for sophisticated vocabulary. + 5 for Harry Potter reference; - 10 for playing into hockey stereotype. OTOH, I really don't give a damn.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

My reference is a comparison of the video of Dahlin arriving in Buffalo compared to the one of Jack arriving at a Vegas strip hotel.   Totally different and that’s ok.  They are different places. 

Vegas has had a team for what, 4 years?   All winning seasons too.  Hard to claim die hard status in that short of a time period. Die hard implies through winning and losing, the good and the bad, for a long time.  

Everything is relative, to you diehard may be that but to some it may just be that you literally fell in love with the sport. I agree its only been what 4 years? yea, and that that doesnt make up for 50 years of misery in Sabres history since this club have not mastered with winnning one single cup which is kinda pathetic, but it had some good years indeed. So compared to that and 4 years in vegas, sure, but it still does not make you a more diehard fan than anyother in my opinion, youve just been it a longer time.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Just because there weren't fans to meet Jack at the hotel that doesn't mean that the people in the area, and even tourists, aren't authentic hockey fans. Did the fans even know when and where he was coming into town? Vegas has been selling out since its inception. That's to their credit. There is no need to denigrate their fanbase especially when our local fanbase is understandably dormant. 

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just like Vegas, it's all a veneer. 

As you well know Las Vegas is simply a different market than Buffalo. Every hockey market has its own unique traits.  Nashville, LA, Minnesota, Toronto, Montreal,  NY etc. have there own unique traits that distinguish each of them from other markets. As I stated to @Pimlachwhen your team plays in front of an empty building I wouldn't be in the business of criticizing another market's authenticity when since its inception the team has played in front of capacity crowds. And it should be noted that when Toronto plays in Buffalo the crowd is dominated by the visiting team. Maybe now is the time to be a little more humble and less critical when judging others. 

• Like (+1) 2

Attached is a link of an article from the Hockey Sporting News by Tony Ferrari. There were other topics I could have attached this link but it is related to the Jack trade. It gives a very positive outlook on the future of this team based on the prospects that are in the system. It listed the young players who are not far away from making the jump up to the NHL. They are the same players that are frequently cited in this forum. It's going to take some patience. 

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/after-eichel-what-does-the-future-hold-for-the-buffalo-sabres

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Just because there weren't fans to meet Jack at the hotel that doesn't mean that the people in the area, and even tourists, aren't authentic hockey fans. Did the fans even know when and where he was coming into town? Vegas has been selling out since its inception. That's to their credit. There is no need to denigrate their fanbase especially when our local fanbase is understandably dormant. 

Authentic hockey fans, have you ever been there?  

It’s great that they are selling out and following an instant winner.  They put on a great production, it’s Vegas after all, and their team wins and is fun to follow.  They also have a much better hockey FO than we have had in decades.  Well done by them.  

Their hockey fans are most likely comprised of transplants from other major cities, which is fine.    

Let’s see what the franchise does when things aren’t so rosey. 

Edited by Pimlach

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Authentic hockey fans, have you ever been there?  

It’s great that they are selling out and following an instant winner.  They put on a great production, it’s Vegas after all, and their team wins and is fun to follow.  They also have a much better hockey FO than we have had in decades.  Well done by them.  

Their hockey fans are most likely comprised of transplants from other major cities, which is fine.    

Let’s see what the franchise does when things aren’t so rosey. 

As I said before it is a different market with its own characteristics. 

When the product on ice isn't as positive as it is now the Vegas ticket buying market won't crater as it is in Buffalo because the hotel and entertainment industry will be able to provide more ticket support (through customer comps) than the Buffalo business community could. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

As you well know Las Vegas is simply a different market than Buffalo. Every hockey market has its own unique traits.  Nashville, LA, Minnesota, Toronto, Montreal,  NY etc. have there own unique traits that distinguish each of them from other markets. As I stated to @Pimlachwhen your team plays in front of an empty building I wouldn't be in the business of criticizing another market's authenticity when since its inception the team has played in front of capacity crowds. And it should be noted that when Toronto plays in Buffalo the crowd is dominated by the visiting team. Maybe now is the time to be a little more humble and less critical when judging others. 

My veneer comment simply refers to the nature of Vegas itself. At least the tourist areas. It's spectacular, but it's all fake. One block behind the glitz are seedy apartment blocks and pawn shops. Vegas runs on manufactured fantasy.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

What was Jack’s arrival in Buffalo like as an 18 year old draft pick vs. a 25 year old All Star C in Las Vegas? 

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Patience is key here... with the cap space available next offseason there will plenty of "quick fix" options.   He needs to remain committed to the prospects and not exchange them for instant (yet fleeting) results.

They should definitely add a good goalie if one can be had for a non-ridiculous price, but definitely not at the expense of the prospects. But at the same time, they need viable current options not only until they are ready, which could be years away, but on the very real chance they don’t develop into quality starters. You just never know. 

I can’t imagine 40 year old Anderson and Tokarski would have been the play had winning been a focus this year. I’m praying they aren’t waiting to try to win until a goalie prospect establishes at the NHL level - we could be waiting a while. 

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They should definitely add a good goalie if one can be had for a non-ridiculous price, but definitely not at the expense of the prospects. But at the same time, they need viable current options not only until they are ready, which could be years away, but on the very real chance they don’t develop into quality starters. You just never know. 

I can’t imagine 40 year old Anderson and Tokarski would have been the play had winning been a focus this year. I’m praying they aren’t waiting to try to win until a goalie prospect establishes at the NHL level - we could be waiting a while. 

The hope is that Adams realizes that without actual GOOD goaltending the team's development will suffer and that quality tenders will be between the pipes next year.

The fear is that they don't want to take themselves out of the '23 draft stud lottery as all the D that fit in their plans are at least 2 years shy of entering their prime & all the F's except Mittelstadt (who isn't there yet either) & Olofsson that are in the plans are at least 2 years out from their primes as well, so the goaltending will be similar to what they have now next year.

The coming off-season will be telling.  Hate that this club always makes themselves at least 2 years away from relevancy.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.