Jack Eichel and 2023 3rd Traded to Vegas for F Alex Tuch, C Peyton Krebs, 2022 1st Top Ten Protected and 2023 2nd

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

ok 

I will say it until this board gets it through their thick heads, the Sabres will be trash until they draft better consistently. 

The Sabres will be trash until they stop trading away their best players for futures every offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

They'll continue to do that until they create a complete team though. And the only way to do that is to draft correctly. 

Wait, you mean you have to draft good to be good?!?! Who knew!? What a concept!

My point is, you don’t have to get rid of your good players to do this. We didn’t need the first Tank to do this. We didn’t need this current Tank to do this. It’s not like developing through the draft costs money.

I honestly don’t see much of a difference this time. I see the same pussified players underachieving that we’ve seen for a decade. (Actually, given the response to Subban last night, I think even the players may actually be in on this Tank) How long before we start blaming our good players again and moving them for futures?

***** this team.

Man, I’m sour today.

I guess I really do mis hockey.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

My point is, you don’t have to get rid of your good players to do this. We didn’t need the first Tank to do this. We didn’t need this current Tank to do this. It’s not like developing through the draft costs money.

I honestly don’t see much of a difference this time. I see the same pussified players underachieving that we’ve seen for a decade. (Actually, given the response to Subban last night, I think even the players may actually be in on this Tank) How long before we start blaming our good players again and moving them for futures?

***** this team.

Man, I’m sour today.

I’ve missed hockey for 10 seasons.

• Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, WildCard said:

They'll continue to do that until they create a complete team though. And the only way to do that is to draft correctly. 

oddly self fulfilling prophecy. 

16 minutes ago, SwampD said:

***** this team.

Man, I’m sour today.

Sigh, we didn't trade Risto or Eichel to tank. Risto wasn't going to sign, Eichel wanted out. 

We have already started blaming the good players, Dahlin constantly gets crapped on even though if you watch the games, his teammates are useless. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sigh, we didn't trade Risto or Eichel to tank. Risto wasn't going to sign, Eichel wanted out. 

We have already started blaming the good players, Dahlin constantly gets crapped on even though if you watch the games, his teammates are useless. 

Eichel didn’t want out. He just wanted his surgery.

He only then wanted out (if you believe his interview) when “someone above Adams” “made it personal.”

I’ll believe it’s different this time when it’s actually different this time.

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Eichel didn’t want out. He just wanted his surgery.

He only then wanted out (if you believe his interview) when “someone above Adams” “made it personal.”

I’ll believe it’s different this time when it’s actually different this time.

He requested a trade before the injury 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

There seems to be some recency bias. We haven't made the playoffs in 16 of the past 20 seasons. This malaise we're in has a history to it. The first thing to do besides draft better (which I hope is already happening) is to get the young guys to buy into the program. The failure of the 2014 tank was not only not drafting well but picking up disgruntled players from other teams and hoping a leadership group which wasn't already here would manifest itself.  Never happened. 

It appears the hockey leadership is on the same page moving ahead. A good start IMO and the young guys appear to be bonding and Okposo and Girgs have provided some leadership to the group. We'll see how it goes but I don't think that light in the tunnel is a train anymore and there is a spark of hope on the horizon.  The young guys even when they do arrive aren't going to turn this around immediately, 2024 is when I think we'll be a viable playoff team/contender but we're going to have to hit in this years and next years draft. 

As for Eichel, great player and I'm sorry it didn't work out but he wasn't the Captain to help drive this turnaround because of his attitude and constant hormonal changes, happy, sad, unhappy, mad. I think the hockey leadership wanted him gone the year before but decided to give it one more chance that of course didn't work. You can see and feel in the interviews the young guys have a different outlook on the club. The JAGS will be gone soon enough. 

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why do you give Dahlin a pass but everyone around him is useless? Night after night I see Dahlin pass it to the opposite team or stand around why the puck is in net. I don't doubt he also brings offense to this team but his defense sucks and he's literally a defensemen so he should at least know how to play the position correctly at this point. I get the players around him are supposedly not of his caliber but aren't those types of players supposed to elevate the play of others? I know someone is going to say his game is offense but he's still a defensemen and needs to play as such on a consistent basis. I'm not saying trade the guy but let's get a former Sabre or defensemen in here and teach him the ropes, it's almost a game by game basis he *****'s the bed in 1 way or another.

Also, if you thought we were going to win this season I'm not sure what kool-aid you were drinking, I think this is a great growing season for many of the Sabres like UPL and some of the other guys got a taste of it also (Krebs-Peterka) etc. This should of been a foregone conclusion that we had not shot at playoffs so I'm not sure why everyone is up in arms.

Edited by GoPuckYourself

2 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Why do you give Dahlin a pass but everyone around him is useless? Night after night I see Dahlin pass it to the opposite team or stand around why the puck is in net. I don't doubt he also brings offense to this team but his defense sucks and he's literally a defensemen so he should at least know how to play the position correctly at this point. I get the players around him are supposedly not of his caliber but aren't those types of players supposed to elevate the play of others? I know someone is going to say his game is offense but he's still a defensemen and needs to play as such on a consistent basis. I'm not saying trade the guy but let's get a former Sabre or defensemen in here and teach him the ropes, it's almost a game by game basis he *****'s the bed in 1 way or another.

Why do you only come in here to post about how much you dislike Dahlin? 

4 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Also, if you thought we were going to win this season I'm not sure what kool-aid you were drinking, I think this is a great growing season for many of the Sabres like UPL and some of the other guys got a taste of it also (Krebs-Peterka) etc. This should of been a foregone conclusion that we had not shot at playoffs so I'm not sure why everyone is up in arms.

To your added on part, not sure it's directed towards me, but I didn't think this season was about anything other than development 

Just now, GoPuckYourself said:

I've been on plenty of times, I'm like a ninja!

Dahlin has flaws for sure but in the grand scheme he isn't the problem, just like Eichel wasnt

3 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Can I ask why this thread was brought back up? Just curious.

On 1/10/2022 at 2:56 PM, LGR4GM said:

This was a player at times rumored to be in consideration for this trade

3 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Can I ask why this thread was brought back up? Just curious.

Apparently liger thought it was relevant that Elevens Elven brethren was cut. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Have to agree on Dahlin, his play to my eye looks to be practically begging to be complemented with players closer to his talent level. 

47 minutes ago, SwampD said:

He did? I thought it was when they got rid of Krueger and he didn’t want to be part of a rebuild.

I think it was when Adams first came on but Jack did say it's because he wasn't on board with their chosen direction of a rebuild. When Adams went a different way last season Eichel was content to try it

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

Why is this the right way to do things now, or 2014-2017, but not 2012?

I have zero hope that they are going to get it right this time. And I certainly don’t give a fig about how many 1sts or 2nds we have. Games aren’t played in July.

The first off-season where we don’t get rid of our best players is the season I’ll get excited again.

And when they are good, I’ll even go to a game.😂

Do you know which of our best players the Sabres will get rid of this offseason? None. You are right that the organization did get rid of its best players this offseason. Both Reinhart and Risto were dealt this past offseason because both players made it clear that once they reached their URFA year they were going to leave. So they were traded and got reasonable returns under the circumstances. And Jack made it clear that he not only desperately wanted out but that he wasn't going to submit to the surgery recommendations that the organization wanted. The return for him was reasonable.

I want to make it clear that I have no criticism of any of these core players wanting to get out. They understandably wanted to be free of this franchise's disfunction. This was a situation where the organization and the players needed a reset. And that's exactly what happened. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Do you know which of our best players the Sabres will get rid of this offseason? None. You are right that the organization did get rid of its best players this offseason. Both Reinhart and Risto were dealt this past offseason because both players made it clear that once they reached their URFA year they were going to leave. So they were traded and got reasonable returns under the circumstances. And Jack made it clear that he not only desperately wanted out but that he wasn't going to submit to the surgery recommendations that the organization wanted. The return for him was reasonable.

I want to make it clear that I have no criticism of any of these core players wanting to get out. They understandably wanted to be free of this franchise's disfunction. This was a situation where the organization and the players needed a reset. And that's exactly what happened. 

@GASabresIUFANseems to think our leading point producer by rate this season might be on the chopping block..

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.