Jack Eichel and 2023 3rd Traded to Vegas for F Alex Tuch, C Peyton Krebs, 2022 1st Top Ten Protected and 2023 2nd

Brawndo

Just now, Thorny said:

But the article I linked detailed that GMs were kept out of the process in totality from early on in the process..

I don't see the logic here. Isn't Adams being given kudos for holding out to get Krebs? That's what we are saying, right, that Krebs became available later?

Surely, retention being a "non-starter", in Adams' words, very likely means potential options were left unexplored? Surely teams ruled out early in the process could have upped their offers, as well?

He's being given credit for holding out for Krebs & for seeing the need to move on from Eichel.  Am willing to give him credit for the former, but don't agree that the latter is worthy of credit.

Not sure that retention being a non-starter did actually keep offers off the table.  Wasn't on the phone/ in the room, so don't know how literal the term "non-starter" was.  You seem to believe he cut people off without even hearing them out.  IMHO, it was likely more of a he hears them out & then reiterates "that's nice, but we're not going down that road, now let's hear what you've got for a full $ Eichel.  Star player chips are stuck on a container ship off Long Beach & aren't available for a few months.  We're not lowering the $'s." 😉

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I dunno, Mark Stone, we might consider retention.

Hard pass.  The amount of retention to get him would make him a $13-14 million cap hit.  And KA isn't going that route anyway.  He doesn't want singular assets, he's building depth.  So what is salary retention going to get him?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Taro T said:

He's being given credit for holding out for Krebs & for seeing the need to move on from Eichel.  Am willing to give him credit for the former, but don't agree that the latter is worthy of credit.

Not sure that retention being a non-starter did actually keep offers off the table.  Wasn't on the phone/ in the room, so don't know how literal the term "non-starter" was.  You seem to believe he cut people off without even hearing them out.  IMHO, it was likely more of a he hears them out & then reiterates "that's nice, but we're not going down that road, now let's hear what you've got for a full $ Eichel.  Star player chips are stuck on a container ship off Long Beach & aren't available for a few months.  We're not lowering the $'s." 😉

I understand we can't be "sure" but to think retention being a "non-starter" in Adams own words, didn't potentially limit SOME discussion with teams would be stretching believability to the breaking point. He doesn't need to "cut them out completely" for that to be the case. 

I feel the degree of difficulty I'm needing to reach here a little extreme. When the GM says it was a "non-starter" in negotiations, ie, the negotiations didn't start, I think the burden of proof falls on the other side. It would need to be satisfactorily explained why a non-starter WOULDN'T limit options

imo

particularly when the KEY piece in this trade came at the END of discussions 

Just now, Thorny said:

I understand we can't be "sure" but to think retention being a "non-starter" in Adams own words, didn't potentially limit SOME discussion with teams would be stretching believability to the breaking point. He doesn't need to "cut them out completely" for that to be the case. 

I feel the degree of difficulty I'm needing to reach here a little extreme. When the GM says it was a "non-starter" in negotiations, ie, the negotiations didn't start, I think the burden of proof falls on the other side. It would need to be satisfactorily explained why a non-starter WOULDN'T limit options

imo

Fair enough.  🍺

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I saw the tweet the Sabres put out thanking Eichel and wishing him luck. Has anyone seen a reciprocal tweet from Eichel thanking Buffalo and likewise wishing the Sabres luck?

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath. So far hes only posted a photoshop of himself in a Vegas uniform.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Hard pass.  The amount of retention to get him would make him a $13-14 million cap hit.  And KA isn't going that route anyway.  He doesn't want singular assets, he's building depth.  So what is salary retention going to get him?

Dude. pick any player you want - you are ignoring the substance of my argument willfully. my point is that, "not retaining" is definitely not an unmatchable asset in a hypothetical trade. my point is MERELY that, assuredly there's something someone could offer you, The Ghost of Yuri, that would make you retain, correct?

Or is there literally no asset league wide that would make you retain. Actually asking. If there's literally no asset that would have you consider retention, I withdraw my argument. 

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

But the article I linked detailed that GMs were kept out of the process in totality from early on in the process..

I don't see the logic here. Isn't Adams being given kudos for holding out to get Krebs? That's what we are saying, right, that Krebs became available later?

Surely, retention being a "non-starter", in Adams' words, very likely means potential options were left unexplored? Surely teams ruled out early in the process could have upped their offers, as well?

Okay, we get your point.  I personally disagree with it, but I get it.

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I saw the tweet the Sabres put out thanking Eichel and wishing him luck. Has anyone seen a reciprocal tweet from Eichel thanking Buffalo and likewise wishing the Sabres luck?

His only tweet since last August:

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not sure the bolded is clear.  Might you expound?

🍺

He said and then kinda backed off that the interview and any resultant fallout was something that people (the Sabres) wanted to avoid.

Basically, I thought he was implying that a frustrated Jack interview had been arranged by Eichel’s camp as another lever to get this done.

I think the fact that Elliotte got the interview certainly should feed the flames of where he was getting info from in this process.

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Sounds like blackmail.... wonder what Jack would've had to say that hadn't been discussed already?

• Thanks (+1) 1

Krebs, Tuch, and some picks. It’s not the best package out there but I’ll take it. Vegas top prospect who will play in Rochester and develop. Tuch who is a 25-30 goal scorer in the league (before that is) could be a good rebuild piece for the next few years as a “veteran presence”. 

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Well the Eichel camp got all butt-hurt when Adams said it in a presser this summer.

Yeah, I remember Fish’s antics immediately afterwards. Other than flat out refusing to play, a player with five years left on a deal just isn’t in position to pull the strings. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He said and then kinda backed off that the interview and any resultant fallout was something that people (the Sabres) wanted to avoid.

Basically, I thought he was implying that a frustrated Jack interview had been arranged by Eichel’s camp as another lever to get this done.

I think the fact that Elliotte got the interview certainly should feed the flames of where he was getting info from in this process.

based on Eichel's unwillingness to wait, or get the surgery himself; good riddance. 

He sounds like one of those stuck NBA players who feel the league and their team should cater to their every whim. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Yeah, I remember Fish’s antics immediately afterwards. Other than flat out refusing to play, a player with five years left on a deal just isn’t in position to pull the strings. 

The NRD guy said all the rumours in the summer were coming straight from Fish to insiders. Once Brisson took over all the info stopped being passed along.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.