Dahlin - It’s time to take a stand

Pimlach

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I generally agree with this, but I also think Dahlin's top speed is a bit lower than I would like and is clearly lower than guys like Makar and Hughes.

Agreed. Dahlin is a great skater, but he is not a fast skater.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dudacek said:

The most notable thing about his skating isn't really his skating, but that his reaction time is much better this year. His biggest problem last year was the way he would get burned making mistakes because he was slow to react. He's not getting caught this year, and it makes his skating less of a point of contention. 

20 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I’ll be watching for this and I ask you to watch closer as well.   I see that he skates effortlessly and he accelerates without much effort at all.  You don’t usually see him doing what we used to call “digging” like when I tried to play (a slight squat, head lowered a bit,  and arms pumping).  He is a natural skater, fluid, and he can change directions with ease.  

Maybe it is just his stride.  I don’t know.  Or maybe I am just disappointed after the draft expectations. 😞

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I guess this is what I should have stated. 👍

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

He is not a boy anymore. This is year 4.  He is 6’3” and pushing 210 pounds.  

I want him to be fine.  I want him to help himself.  This crap has been going on too long.  

See last year.   

Tokarski comin' in hot.  Very nice.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

He is not a boy anymore. This is year 4.  He is 6’3” and pushing 210 pounds.  

I want him to be fine.  I want him to help himself.  This crap has been going on too long.  

See last year.   

So, in this clip I see Dahlin hammer Marchand from behind into the boards, then I see him crosscheck Pastrnak into the net, then I see him drop the gloves.

So I take it this is an example of what you want to see more of?

He initiates all of this.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So, in this clip I see Dahlin hammer Marchand from behind into the boards, then I see him crosscheck Pastrnak into the net, then I see him drop the gloves.

@Pimlach 

Yeah, this video actually showed Dahlin abusing a Bruins player (check/cross check into boards, cross check into the net from behind) so much that a 2nd Bruin jumped him from behind. They tussled, dropping the gloves, but referees were in there before a fight happened.

This is absolutely not an example of another team taking liberties with Dahlin.  It truly was the other way around.  Dahlin was taking liberties and the Bruins stood up to him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

OK.  Tampa on Monday.  After these last two “lesser games”, let’s see him play his best game for the home town crowd.  

Tampa will put half this team on IR.  They've got that streak running over the last couple years they need to extend.

With no repercussions of course...

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

No. I want him to defend himself when he has to, I was referring to Friday night against Marchand.  He was on the receiving on, Marchand deliberately going after him.  Marchand probably saw his injured mouth and made a point of roughing him up.  

I think the video confuses my original post. In the video from last year he crosschecks Pastrnak who losses an edge and flies into the boards.  It was not his intention to make him fly into the boards head first.   He latter crossed checks Marchand, who jumped him while coming to Pastrnak’s aide.  

The video was posted to show what he can do.  Not that I want him starting fights.  I am not asking that he starts fights.  I am commenting on what I saw Friday and saying until he starts defending himself, he is going to be target.   This is year 4.  He needs to establish his place on the ice.  I am asking that he pushes back more.  I want him to be a difference maker, the rebuild depends on it. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Yes shoot more.  We lack scorers/finisher.  Yesterday he passed up shots to look for others.   We didn’t test their goalie nearly enough.  

Amen… Dahlin passed up several shots… lost the puck or passed and we ended up losing the puck without a shot on goal… 

I don't think this debate will ever resolve but I also don't think what you want is Dahlin's personality and so you won't get it, much like I will never see Tage use his size to smash people into the boards. It's just not them. 

So it is on the team to build and structure around him and I still think we have done a poor job developing Dahlin. Right from the get go it was do your thing and play to your strengths rather than we know you can do that stuff, so you need to work on this other stuff. Contrast him with McAvoy from Boston who was often benched early and brought along slowly and paired with a solid vet and is now a complete D man and a dominant player. I don't think Dahlin will ever be that now so imo the best we can do is pair him with a tough solid defender and build a team that's more balanced around him so that we smash back when our guys get smashed. 

So far, for far too long, the Sabres have shown zero inclination to understand what balanced even is. 

In a lot of ways Dahlin reminds me of Housley. Teams took liberties with him too, but in those days we also had guys like Playfair to balance things out. Balance, it's always about balance. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

Sorry, but Dahlin simply is not 'wired' to defend himself or dish out any retaliation to others.  You don't "develop" that tendency with age either...you're either born with it or you're SOL and hope that you're surrounded by others who will be there for you.

So be it. And if that's the case (although he's shown some tenacity in the past here and there) then his teammates need to address it. If Marchand is crosschecking your teammate and running him at each opportunity... then you take care of it. Sadly, no one did. It's teamwide contempt for anyone messing with anyone that is still lacking on this team.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of NS said:

I know everyone wants Dahlin to be the penultimate rock star now, but he’s still what, 22?

Players like Lidtstrom and Chara weren’t anything until they were like 27. Relax. 

I agree that defenseman take longer to peak but they can be effective at a young age and some can last a very long time  too.  

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Dahlin certainly has an aggressive side to him but I'm guessing his face injury and frequent penalties have kept him somewhat meek as the season has been going thus far. Plus from a physical side he's stuck as the defensive guy when paired with Butcher.

He does have an aggressive side and it’s in the video I posted.  I just want it to come out more so the goons back off and he gets room to play.  I agree, when paired the Joker or Butcher, he is he more physical guy. 

OP brings up a good point & i think it goes into something else too. Rasmus needs to have some fire in him in general. He needs to toughen up.

You have the size. You have the skill. You need to have the heart too. That will to compete & be all you can be & to not let others bully you or push you around.

Being willing to take a punch in the face to land a punch of your own, because you believe yours will be the knockout blow. A sense of urgency too.

I've rarely if ever have seen that kinda thing from him & until he does i don't think we'll see him take that next step as a player. Like others have said, its not something you usually just develop. I guess we just have to hope with more sticks to the face & nights getting tossed around, maybe then he'll say i cant take it anymore & turn that switch on.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What I really want to know is when someone is going to pound Marchand through the ice.

never. 

because he plays unafraid, and although he certainly doesn't win every fight, he can, unlike many of our players, handle himself and fight his own battles. 

He is exactly what we could use. 

10 hours ago, The Ghost of NS said:

I know everyone wants Dahlin to be the penultimate rock star now, but he’s still what, 22?

Players like Lidtstrom and Chara weren’t anything until they were like 27. Relax. 

No, he is 21, and will be for the entirety of this season.

7 hours ago, In The Buff said:

OP brings up a good point & i think it goes into something else too. Rasmus needs to have some fire in him in general. He needs to toughen up.

You have the size. You have the skill. You need to have the heart too. That will to compete & be all you can be & to not let others bully you or push you around.

Being willing to take a punch in the face to land a punch of your own, because you believe yours will be the knockout blow. A sense of urgency too.

I've rarely if ever have seen that kinda thing from him & until he does i don't think we'll see him take that next step as a player. Like others have said, its not something you usually just develop. I guess we just have to hope with more sticks to the face & nights getting tossed around, maybe then he'll say i cant take it anymore & turn that switch on.

I think this is mostly a misdiagnosis based on Dahlin’s calm personality. I believe you are off base.  Dahlin competes.

How would you describe Lidstrom (just for example)?  Did he not have many of the same characteristics that you are laying on Dahlin?

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't see most recent Boston game, so I didn't see the incident.  From what I have seen, Dahlin isn't a vocal guy, but he plays with a bit of an edge.  I don't think it's a concern.  He's a highly skilled player and probably not the guy you want mixed up in too many fights.  If his teammates didn't back him up the other night, that's a problem.  I have to assume that Couzens was not on the ice when it happened.  I'd think a team like this one would be the type to step in for a teammate, even if they are not brawlers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.