Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Why ? 

From a strictly Sabre-centric viewpoint, any work stoppage of the KHL will impact the VHL and MHL as well because they're affiliate leagues and won't provide enough revenue on their own. That hurts any development Poltapov, Kisakov, and Novikov for this season and possibly longer.

From a wider viewpoint...

6 hours ago, Taro T said:

Interesting.

Is this due to COVID issues, concerns about the possible Russian- Ukranian War, or other?

The KHL already paused play for COVID this season, so if that's the concern they could easily announce it's another COVID pause.

If it's in anticipation of the invasion of Ukraine, then the KHL is simply getting clear of upcoming resource restrictions, air travel restrictions, etc. And any Ukraine-based players (small percentage) can manage their affairs back home. 

It's worth noting that starting the playoffs immediately would eliminate Sochi (air travel impacted to reroute around Ukrainian airspace for any north-south travel) and Dinamo Riga (Latvia, a NATO nation) as they're both in last place in their divisions.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 2/4/2022 at 9:42 PM, Buffalonill said:

Should have drafted Zegras  Another swing and a miss for this organization

Why? Because Cozens doesn’t spin around with the puck in the air while blindfolded or flip the puck over the net? 

Cozens just caught a shark. Has Zegras ever done that? Looks like Anaheim failed.😛

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

COVID issues have been bad in Russia, but my guess the war, and I doubt it will be restricted to just two countries...

The KHL isn’t going to preemptively cancel games because because of a war that might (but almost definitely won’t) happen.

If Covid is raging over there, then they probably aren’t making any money on these regular season games, so they decided to go straight to the playoffs and be done with it.

My opinion.

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

56% of the average cup champ being of the “not drafted by the team” variety actually surprises me. Would have thought that number would be flipped, at least

Me too.  I’d be interested in seeing the %’s for top 6/top 4/starting goalies.  I’d guess that they lean more towards drafted players and further away from UFA.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Something to keep in mind when some of yell for Adams to fix the team in free agency. It's not happening there. 

Good stuff.  Thank you for sharing.  The corollary to the rule about  UFA's is to make sure the few that you do select can contribute, especially come the Playoffs.  If you assume 16% then that is ~ 4 players on the team.  I would argue that David Perron, Tyler Bozak and Pat Maroon were essential to the St. Louis Blues Cup run.   Where as our stable of UFA's Caggiula, Vinnie, Anderson and Eakin are not in the same class.   It's essential for Adams to add a player or two next season that can and will contribute the the overall success of the team. 

4 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Good stuff.  Thank you for sharing.  The corollary to the rule about  UFA's is to make sure the few that you do select can contribute, especially come the Playoffs.  If you assume 16% then that is ~ 4 players on the team.  I would argue that David Perron, Tyler Bozak and Pat Maroon were essential to the St. Louis Blues Cup run.   Where as our stable of UFA's Caggiula, Vinnie, Anderson and Eakin are not in the same class.   It's essential for Adams to add a player or two next season that can and will contribute the the overall success of the team. 

The key there is St. Louis was a perennial playoff contender. Once you’re at that level you can attract the higher-level UFA/mercenary who wants to be on a contender. We’re still at the point where our UFAs are the “prolong a career/happy to be in the league” variety. We’ll get there but it’s going to take a few years. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The key there is St. Louis was a perennial playoff contender. Once you’re at that level you can attract the higher-level UFA/mercenary who wants to be on a contender. We’re still at the point where our UFAs are the “prolong a career/happy to be in the league” variety. We’ll get there but it’s going to take a few years. 

Adams is already 5 chapters in to Dr. Leo Marvins book.  It’s called ‘Baby Steps’.

What About Bob Time GIF

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Not via ufa it isn't.