Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-sign-morgan-rielly-eight-year-60m-extension/

My God! Living in Toronto and watching the Leafs I am not a big Reilly fan. Does Dubas have a different salary cap then the rest of the league because he isn’t smart enough to do the gymnastics necessary to make this work.

Has any team in history given out more money to players who have failed to win even a single playoff series.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don't think cynically is the only way to look at this.

Change the colors to red & white & "Toronto" to "Canada" and that is the '87 Team Canada logo.  They even use the same leaves on the shoulders.

The piping is different, but that's it.  Truly "original" and not a rip off of a different entity's intellectual property.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Change the colors to red & white & "Toronto" to "Canada" and that is the '87 Team Canada logo.  They even use the same leaves on the shoulders.

The piping is different, but that's it.  Truly "original" and not a rip off of a different entity's intellectual property.

That is still a cynical description. Another way to look at it is that TC and TML both have maple leafs as their logo and TML was paying homage to them. TML has more money than God. I'm certain they understood what they were doing and why.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

That is still a cynical description. Another way to look at it is that TC and TML both have maple leafs as their logo and TML was paying homage to them. TML has more money than God. I'm certain they understood what they were doing and why.

You may just have a more generous outlook than @Taro T and I have.  I rolled my eyes and then thought next season, for the 50th anniversary of The Summit Series, they would resurrect *that* jersey as an alternate.

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Yes, they're trying to capitalize on Team Canada's good will.  😉

1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

You may just have a more generous outlook than @Taro T and I have.  I rolled my eyes and then thought next season, for the 50th anniversary of The Summit Series, they would resurrect *that* jersey as an alternate.

Very possible.  But that's not the Summit Series sweater.  It's the 80's version of Team Canada.  The original "dream line" of Perreault centering Gretzky & Lafleur also wore a very similar sweater to the '87 version.

The Summit Series had the weird maple leaf popping out of the bottom of the sweater almost like a shark swimming just below the surface.  The '80's versions were waaaaay sharper.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/maple-leafs-sign-morgan-rielly-eight-year-60m-extension/

My God! Living in Toronto and watching the Leafs I am not a big Reilly fan. Does Dubas have a different salary cap then the rest of the league because he isn’t smart enough to do the gymnastics necessary to make this work.

Has any team in history given out more money to players who have failed to win even a single playoff series.

I don't think it is a 'terrible' contract/deal, but I do question how it fits with the team:

-$7.5 million isn't bad for a top pair D-man, but is he one?  in 2018-2109 he had an incredible statistical season, every other year of his career hasn't come close to it.  Do leafs fans and management view him as closer to that 2 peak season? or the rest of his career?  Are they paying for a 20 goal player? or what he usually is (5-10 goal player)?

-Even if he is worth it, they have very little flexibility in their roster now for the next few years.  They are going to have $48 million dollars in cap space tied up in just their top 5 skaters...the same group that has been there and not gotten out of the first round.

-D-men don't drop off as much as forward do when they hit age 28...but this contract is going to be giving the leafs a cap hit of $7.5 million on a guy when he is going to not only be in his mid 30's, but will have a LOT of miles on him (I think that will be his 17th full season in the league by the end of that deal). And with a full no-trade that begins right now.

I think the dollar figure isn't terribly out of line, but I think that contract and player would fit better on a different team than on the Leafs.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yes, they're trying to capitalize on Team Canada's good will.  😉

Did Team Canada rip off the NBA with the hockey player in the middle and contrasting colors on either side? Did the Sabres rip-off the Rangers with their neck laces? 

Is it possible, TML contacted TC and got a thumbs up for their design?

If TC balks, then maybe there is something there. If not, it is much ado about nothing.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Did Team Canada rip off the NBA with the hockey player in the middle and contrasting colors on either side? Did the Sabres rip-off the Rangers with their neck laces? 

If TC balks, then maybe there is something there. If not, it is much ado about nothing.

You're actually comparing putting a player in the middle of a 3 segment logo, which is also done by at least MLB & pretty sure the NHLPA too, the shape of the segments being completely different with using the EXACT SAME leaf with capitalized block lettering climbing the logo at the same angle?  Personally, wouldn't use that as a comparison.  A more apt one might be Team USA wearing Bills themed sweaters at the outdoor WJC game.  Which was also a money grab with a really cool kit that was approved by the trademark holder.

And, most all (if not all) teams used the lacing at the neck opening of their sweaters back when the Sabres came into existence and started playing in 1970.  Not sure how the Sabres stole anything from the Rags?

With all due respect, you seem to be trying too hard here.  Whether they are doing the right thing & giving Team Canada a cut of the proceeds or not and it would seem to be a safe bet that they did get approval from Team Canada to do so, they are blatantly trying to make money off the good will Canadians and others have for Team Canada & that '87 championship team in particular.

You don't see it as cynically as some of the rest of us do.  Which is a completely legit take.  Truly do appreciate that as the owner of this board you allow people to take positions that don't necessarily align with yours.  (Discussion boards are pretty dull if all people do is agree.)  Personally don't put much faith in media conglomerates doing anything but pursue the mighty $.  (Even though it's the Canadian one Rogers is after in this instance.  It's still currency.) 

Guess this past couple of weeks have been in a cynical space.  Life does that to one sometimes.

And agree, this is much ado about nothing.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

1 hour ago, SDS said:

All I see is Team Canada when I look at that sweater.  I was always jealous that they had such a kickass uniform.

35 minutes ago, SDS said:

This is all fine and good, but I still see Team Canada.  But you're right, it could be totally non-infringing--and I don't know a whole lot about IP rights in Canada, anyway.

Edited by Eleven

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Matthews to the desert 

As a Canadian, it was *literally* the first thing I thought of, I have no doubt it was intentional. I agree with sds though that it looks great. 

It's almost cheating to make it look like that, honestly. 

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

As a Canadian, it was *literally* the first thing I thought of, I have no doubt it was intentional. I agree with sds though that it looks great. 

It's almost cheating to make it look like that, honestly. 

Absolutely that the biggest hockey city in the world knows exactly what they’re doing with regards to the history of their national team. You can look at it as a grift or you can look at it as a homage. I prefer to think it is the latter unless it’s proven that it is the former.

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

it's both!

if they can make money from it, it's always both 

To me it’s the difference between “hey, if you guys really want to cash in let’s just steal the design of the 1987 jersey and just make it blue and white” and “the 1987 team had a classic look. What do you think about a nod to history and base our jersey around that moment?“

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, SDS said:

To me it’s the difference between “hey, if you guys really want to cash in let’s just steal the design of the 1987 jersey and just make it blue and white” and “the 1987 team had a classic look. What do you think about a nod to history and base our jersey around that moment?“

To me, it's "hey we could design something or we could just copy this."  It's not a ripoff necessarily, it's just lazy.

It's kind of like when the Penguins copied the Rangers.

41 minutes ago, Eleven said:

To me, it's "hey we could design something or we could just copy this."  It's not a ripoff necessarily, it's just lazy.

It's kind of like when the Penguins copied the Rangers.

My point is, we don’t know how it went down. I don’t think it’s wrong to give people the benefit of the doubt instead of prescribing negative attributes to them before knowing who it went down. And they designed an entire kit. They used the logo as inspiration. That’s the only commonality with the 1987 team Canada jersey. And if I’m not mistaken this is an alternate jersey. Why do we have to assume nefarious attitudes for an alternate jersey? Why can’t it just be fun?