Around the NHL 2021-22

Doohickie

14 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Did the team also put stepped aside in quotes as well? If not, then Friedman didn’t really say exactly what the team said, imo. The quotation marks change the entire context of the team’s statement. Why the gratuitous quote marks from Friedman? Does he have such contempt for his readers that he doesn’t think we’re smart enough to read between the lines ourselves? 

Quotation marks indicate that he is quoting the team.  Quotation marks are not indicating sarcasm/irony or whatever else you are trying to place on them.

This is a ridiculous conversation.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Quotation marks indicate that he is quoting the team.  Quotation marks are not indicating sarcasm/irony or whatever else you are trying to place on them.

This is a ridiculous conversation.

So the team sarcastically placed “stepped aside” in the quotes? Really? 

In this case the quotation marks absolutely point to sarcasm, regardless if it was the original team quote or Friedman’s embellishment. There is simply no need for them otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So the team sarcastically placed “stepped aside” in the quotes? Really? 

In this case the quotation marks absolutely point to sarcasm, regardless if it was the original team quote or Friedman’s embellishment. There is simply no need for them otherwise. 

No.  Friedman put the words “stepping aside” inside of quotation marks, because he was quoting those words.  That’s what quotation marks are generally used for, to indicate words that are quoted.

If you are seeing anything deeper than that, I think you are just way way off base.  I don’t think anyone else here will agree with your interpretation of what Friedman wrote.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

No.  Friedman put the words “stepping aside” inside of quotation marks, because he was quoting those words.  That’s what quotation marks are generally used for, to indicate words that are quoted.

If you are seeing anything deeper than that, I think you are just way way off base.  I don’t think anyone else here will agree with your reading.

The team said he "stepped aside" so it was proper for Freeman to quote it. I'm with you, don't know why this is a thing. 

1 minute ago, Curt said:

If you are seeing anything deeper than that, I think you are just way way off base.  I don’t think anyone else here will agree with your reading.

If that’s the case, then I’m happy to admit I’m wrong. I haven’t seen the original quote after all, so I may be way out of line. It’s just that given Friedman’s blatant shilling in the Eichel saga, I have to question his journalistic integrity.

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

I may be way out of line.

I think so, and I'm glad you're seeing the other side here.  On social media, "ironic quotes" are used frequently and I can see where you took it that way.  I really think they were non-ironic quotes indicating a literal, word-for-word quote.

In other news, Seattle looks like they're on their way to their first home win, up on MTL 4-1 in the third period.  And frankly, the Habs look really weak.  I'm watching the MTL feed and I have to keep laughing because their color guy is making tons of weak excuses for them.  "They are doing a lot of good things, but they're letting in goals, too."  lolwut. 

Marty Biron was one of the "insiders" during the period break.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Montreal has been on borrowed time for awhile but with Weber and Price out, the bottom completely fell out of that boat. 

and they lost more than that. Don't forget about Danault .

Koktaneimi and even Perry. I know people here don't like him and he's well past his prime, but he did provide leadership and some big contributions on their cup run. 

Staal they're probably fine without 🙂

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

and they lost more than that. Don't forget about Danault .

Koktaneimi and even Perry. I know people here don't like him and he's well past his prime, but he did provide leadership and some big contributions on their cup run. 

Staal they're probably fine without 🙂

Perry has long been a player i don't like because he is not playing for the sabres

• Like (+1) 2

And the Panthers continue to roll.  Duclair just scored on a breakaway, cutting through the top of the crease from Ullmark's left to his right and Ullmark (as we all know) doesn't have the best lateral movement.  Duclair  beat him to the post.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
It cracks me up that both of our league minimum goalies have better save percentages than Ullmark! :D
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

See, I thought that's what the rent free remark means:  That people people think he's good but you didn't think he was.  What does it mean exactly????

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Here's something everyone will enjoy. Announcer in the Edmonton Philly game "Ristolainen continues to struggle" 

Risto gonna Risto.