What do you expect from: #23 Mattias Samuelsson?

dudacek

Mattias Samuelsson  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Samuelsson this year?

• He will make the Sabres out of camp and be a regular on their top 4 and penalty kill by the end of the season
    • He will make the Sabres and play in a bottom pairing role
    • He will marinate for most of the season in Rochester and come up after the trade deadline
    • Not much, he's not fast enough yet for the NHL

An American despite the name, Mattias is the son of long-time NHLer Kjell Samuelsson. The Sabres picked him with the 1st pick of the 2nd round in 2018, 32nd overall as a big, stay-at-home shutdown bookend to their flashy first pick Rasmus Dahlin.

Samuelsson has been a darling of USA Hockey, serving as the go-to tough-matchup defenceman for his cohort and captain of both the U18 and U20 world championships squads.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=196144

Standing 6'4" and weighing in at nearly 230 pounds, he made a smooth jump from college to Rochester last year, easily stepping into their top 4 and scoring at over a 40-point pace. He finished the year as a regular in Buffalo.

What do you expect from Samuelsson this season?

I really wanna say that he’ll make the team out of camp and blossom into a leadership role over the next couple of seasons, but the stupid injury IMHO makes it much more likely that he starts the season in Rochester.  I do see him as a core guy in the not too distant future.  

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I really wanna say that he’ll make the team out of camp and blossom into a leadership role over the next couple of seasons, but the stupid injury IMHO makes it much more likely that he starts the season in Rochester.  I do see him as a core guy in the not too distant future.  

This would have been my response.

Missing camp likely means he’ll be an injury call up at some point.  Hopefully he makes the call up permanent.

I agree that it depends on the extent of his current injury.  If he's able to play in some preseason games then I see him making the team as a bottom pair and then getting opportunities as the season progresses.  This is a great year for him to learn and grow with the big club before Owen Power comes next season.

I think Samuelsson is another player the organization is more high on than the fans are. (Although I am happy to see fan support growing).

I think the brass entered camp hoping he was going to make the big team and was prepared to give him every opportunity to do so.

I agree that his injury complicates things and may mean he starts in Rochester.

He will be a full-time Sabre this year though, sooner, rather than later.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think Samuelsson is another player the organization is more high on than the fans are. (Although I am happy to see fan support growing).

I think the brass entered camp hoping he was going to make the big team and was prepared to give him every opportunity to do so.

I agree that his injury complicates things and may mean he starts in Rochester.

He will be a full-time Sabre this year though, sooner, rather than later.

When you look at our prospects on the blueline and the young players already with the big club it's becoming evident that in a couple to a few years this organization  will have assembled a quality unit. Dallin/Joki/Sameulsson/Power/Johnson/Bryson??/Laaksonen/Pilut??/ are young players that still have plenty of upside. Brick by brick the ramshackle house is being rebuilt.     

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I would really like to see Samuelsson and Dahlin paired up eventually with Dahlin playing the off side. Think he is the type of partner Dahlin needs long term.

nods-spock.gif.35c336c95d414f5d8fb784c41c740757.gif

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I remembering saying in June 2018 that we just drafted our #1 pairing for the next decade.

People told me I was wrong because they both shoot left and the Mule ain't that good, but I'm still hopeful.

I'm surprised they seem to have gone away from Dahlin on the right since it seemed to be working when we saw it a bit earlier 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.