Kevyn Adams Discloses in his Presser that Eichel is No Longer the Buffalo Sabres Captain

Brawndo

4 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think that type of reply would have drawn less negative attention.  Feels like it would have been a little better for the organization, more tactful, but maybe it doesn’t really even matter.

As a fan?  Like which answer brings me more joy?  Is parading the player out and publicly tearing the C from his sweater on the table?

I think where i was going with this was "Understanding every situation exists on a spectrum, do you you want your GM to be as honest as he can be, or as protective as he can be?"

A lot of fans say they want transparency, but the way they respond when they get it says otherwise.

• Like (+1) 4

Finally had a chance to watch the first 10 minutes of Adams’s presser. The first mention of the captaincy issue wasn’t made until nearly 7 minutes in and several other questions had already been asked and answered. Kudos to the press for not making that issue the focal point. And I gotta say that knowing KA didn’t “lead off” with any statement regarding the captaincy issue and after actually seeing and hearing the question and response, I find many of the reactionary takes around here to be completely overboard. The Aud Club is gonna Aud Club, so I’m not surprised at these takes at all. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Watching the presser changed my mind entirely.

This was not the sledgehammer pronouncement I was expecting from the headline.

I found Adams to be calm, transparent and borderline gracious in his delivery and his message.

I would imagine the goal was to address the Eichel situation in a way that allows the organization to get its position out there clearly so they can clear the deck as much as possible in order to allow the focus to be on the players that are here.

Not sure what he could have done differently to accomplish that goal.

Thanks for the update. 

Communication on these devices can be deceiving.   Adams being described as cool, calm, smart and gracious is what I want to hear and consistent with everything I’ve heard about him.   

He is learning on the fly and being feed with a fire hose.  Talk about a tough job.  He sure has one.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

If disk fusion surgery is good enough for Mario Lemieux, Tiger Woods and Peyton Manning - it’s certainly good enough for Jak Eihel!!! 

To be fair, Lemieux and Woods had issues with discs in the lumbar region vs. the neck. That said, I’ve learned that both Kris Letang and Derek Dorsett are two NHL players who’ve undergone the ACDF procedure that the Sabres prefer.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t agree.

This situation with Eichel is so unique, I don’t think other guys will relate to it.

I don’t think this has really been that much of a PR beat up, or public destruction of Eichel.

Sure, whatever.  If I'm a player and know that my chosen medical professionals do not matter and my health long term is in question, I'll remember which teams did what. 

I will predict that at the next CBA, the players insist a new clause similar to the NFLPA's where a player can obtain surgery as was discussed late on the GR morning show today. 

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I was against announcing that Jack is no longer the captain.  But now that it's out there, I'm beginning to like it.  Yes, KA is kind of a bull in a china shop, but he doesn't wilt away from an issue, he doesn't just push it off.  I think it's an exhibition of leadership that he's taking on the issue.  The buck stops with KA.  And I'm starting to think it's probably better to sweep that issue off the table.  It symbolically passes the torch, or rather rips the torch out of Jack's hand, and gives it to the team that will actually play.  A new beginning.

I keep going back to the Bills transformation:  There were several things that pissed me off at the time, that the team was abandoning sentiment for cold, calculated action.  As a fan abandoning the sentiment hurt.  How could they get rid of Sammy Watkins????  Now that the Bills have transformed, I realize it was part of the process and even though it hurt, even though it as uncomfortable, it was necessary.  Change is never easy.

Past Sabres GMs seemed to try to smooth the changes over as if to say, we're on the right course, we just have a little further to go.  KA knows that's not true and he's not acting like it.  This organization is f&*^ed up and he's not hiding that fact anymore.  He's a bull in a china shop because that's what this team needs. 

I've said before that KA feels different from other GMs.  I saw this as primarily a difference in relationship between him and the Pegulas.  I think they've decided to trust him and let him go off leash, deciding to trust him and not try to guide him (i.e., interfere).  I think he's communicating back to them, but I get the sense he's driving the bus, not the Pegulas.

I was shocked, appalled and disappointed that he actually publicly demoted Jack from the captaincy, but I'm changing my mind.  There's no subtlety here... if there's a problem, KA isn't hiding it, he's addressing it.  I think that's different from every other Pegula era GM.

I agree. Well said. Its refreshing. Jack doesn’t want to be here. How can he remain captain ? Move on.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

Sure, whatever.  If I'm a player and know that my chosen medical professionals do not matter and my health long term is in question, I'll remember which teams did what. 

I will predict that at the next CBA, the players insist a new clause similar to the NFLPA's where a player can obtain surgery as was discussed late on the GR morning show today. 

I don't know what the NFL CBA says on this issue, but it's important to remember that NFL contracts aren't guaranteed (although the stars are increasingly able to get some of their $$ guaranteed) -- so if a player has an operation that the team doesn't want him to have, the team can just cut him with no further financial obligation.  That is a totally different situation from the Sabres' situation with Eichel.

I would also be pretty surprised if NFL players can get whatever medical procedures they want with no effect on their contracts.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So who plays a regular season game first…Deshaun Watson or Johnny?

My money is on Watson because Johnny seems to be intractable in his position on the matter and the season will be over by the time he’s ready to resume play. Then again, Watson has the legal issues hanging over his head, not to mention the unknown disciplinary measures the league may impose. Tough call. 

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Once again ... that is not tanking.  That is a rebuild.

The Buffalo Sabres are not tanking this season.  Repeat ... not tanking.

If they're not tanking  They would have not signed the worst goalie tendom in the NHL and they get some center vet help and some people that have  Abilities to be good to great with a different   Environment

Edited by Buffalonill

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don't know what the NFL CBA says on this issue, but it's important to remember that NFL contracts aren't guaranteed (although the stars are increasingly able to get some of their $$ guaranteed) -- so if a player has an operation that the team doesn't want him to have, the team can just cut him with no further financial obligation.  That is a totally different situation from the Sabres' situation with Eichel.

I would also be pretty surprised if NFL players can get whatever medical procedures they want with no effect on their contracts.

It's definitely not a situation where NFL players have complete control over their medical treatment if they disagree with team doctors.  But in light of the issues with concussions, I'm theorizing that players wanted assurance from management to seek out in a more mutual process another medical treatment. 

Also recognize the contracts are indeed different and there is more flexibility for NFL teams.  I still contend this gets some attention at next NHLPA-NHL CBA time.   

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

If they're not tanking  They would have not signed the worst goalie tendom in the NHL and they get some center vet help and some people that have  Abilities to be good to great with a different   Environment

The goalie situation is not good.  The Sabres wanted to keep Linus.  When he left they needed someone to hold the fort while the kids developed.  They said they are going with the youth on the roster and are going to develop them.  They said signing veteran centres would disrupt the development of the youth.  They tried the vet signing route last year and it failed.  They were not going to bring in vets who would disrupt the development of the kids.

All the above means that they are going with a rebuild around the youth on the team already and the kids developing in Rochester and other leagues.

All this is proof that they are not tanking.  Again, you don't seem to understand the term tanking, as all your posts on it illustrate a rebuild.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The goalie situation is not good.  The Sabres wanted to keep Linus.  When he left they needed someone to hold the fort while the kids developed.  They said they are going with the youth on the roster and are going to develop them.  They said signing veteran centres would disrupt the development of the youth.  They tried the vet signing route last year and it failed.  They were not going to bring in vets who would disrupt the development of the kids.

All the above means that they are going with a rebuild around the youth on the team already and the kids developing in Rochester and other leagues.

All this is proof that they are not tanking.  Again, you don't seem to understand the term tanking, as all your posts on it illustrate a rebuild.

Agree to disagree if they tried to upgrade the  Goltending I might believe you they had many opportunities.

I'll enjoy watching a team be worse then last year 

Rebuild vs Tank.  We are rebuilding in general.  However, KA is clearly tanking this season in order to draft a replacement for Eichel.  No other way to explain pivoting from Ullmark to Anderson/Dell.  This is going from playoff caliber goaltending to AHL level goaltending.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Rebuild vs Tank.  We are rebuilding in general.  However, KA is clearly tanking this season in order to draft a replacement for Eichel.  No other way to explain pivoting from Ullmark to Anderson/Dell.  This is going from playoff caliber goaltending to AHL level goaltending.

I firmly believe they expected to sign Ullmark and he pulled the rug out from under them. I like Linus, but he kinda effed the Sabres.

They also aren't looking to "replace Eichel". They've already done so. They believe Cozens is going to be the number 1 center going forward. It could not be more clear.

They will be bad this year, and will probably pick high. But there's no way picking 1st overall is the plan. It's just not entirely out of the question looking at where the roster is right now. The "let the kids drive it" philosophy will probably result in a bad team, but not on purpose. It's just the development philosophy they've agreed on.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think you're going to find our goaltending will be much better than your expectations.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I firmly believe they expected to sign Ullmark and he pulled the rug out from under them. I like Linus, but he kinda effed the Sabres.

Doesn't everybody at this point? I mean it's the GM's job to make a fair market deal and then do it or have a plan B. It's a business and there is no good faith, especially on a bad team. On a good team players want to be there and maybe take discounts to stay but this team doesn't have that these days so you make a generous offer and if a guy doesn't take it you go to plan B in a hurry. Adams eff'd it not Ullmark. 

If you were Ullmark would you have stayed in Buffalo to be shellshocked on a tank team or would you have gone to a team like Boston with a solid D in front of you and by all accounts a fantastic culture and locker room where everybody wants to stay? Pretty much a no brainer imo. (I wouldn't be surprised if Ullmark puts up Vezina type numbers this year with an actual D in front of him)l.

The alternative is you let players Skinner you and you've seen how that has worked out. Adams should have known better and traded for a Dreidger or one of the younger Russians out there or somebody to fill the void for a few years so UPL could be developed properly. He eff'd it OR he did it on purpose because they take the fanbase for granted and plan to suck for a few years (which is the likely real truth).

Just now, Doohickie said:

I think you're going to find our goaltending will be much better than your expectations.

Is that the duck talking? 

(I think you will find the opposite)

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, darksabre said:

They also aren't looking to "replace Eichel". They've already done so. They believe Cozens is going to be the number 1 center going forward. It could not be more clear.

They will be bad this year, and will probably pick high. But there's no way picking 1st overall is the plan. It's just not entirely out of the question looking at where the roster is right now. The "let the kids drive it" philosophy will probably result in a bad team, but not on purpose. It's just the development philosophy they've agreed on.

Thats a mistake he's a number 2 and hell he might be a winger when all is done .

28 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly, is tanking at all necessary to ensure this team finishes last in the standings? Even with that playoff goaltending?

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Agree wholeheartedly on the first. Disagree on the 2nd.

As for the 3rd, I don’t think they are planning to finish last the way Tim Murray was, but they are expecting to be on the running and to have shot at a centre at least as good as Cozens in the process.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.