Kevyn Adams Discloses in his Presser that Eichel is No Longer the Buffalo Sabres Captain

Brawndo

How could anyone think Jack still wants to be here. He had his agent out in the media trying to speed up a trade. He refuses the surgery the doctors are approving as the safe solution.

Having that guy as your captain would be a disaster. It was the right move to strip him of it and let him sit at home and pout until a trade is made.

• Like (+1) 6

Totally on the same page with @darksabre.

There is some logic to making the move and telling the team privately as part of the 'culture shift' sending the message of don't expect him to come back and reassert himself, it's your team now. But making it public serves no purpose I can see and just twists the knife.

It was going to happen organically and announcing it was totally unnecessary.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

How could anyone think Jack still wants to be here. He had his agent out in the media trying to speed up a trade. He refuses the surgery the doctors are approving as the safe solution.

Having that guy as your captain would be a disaster. It was the right move to strip him of it and let him sit at home and pout until a trade is made.

The stripping of captaincy didn't need to be this public.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Unprofessional? Jack Eichel's post-season presser was the most unprofessional interview I've seen from a Captain. "My number one interest is Jack Eichel" , to paraphrase. The moment he said that I wanted the captaincy removed from him. 

It's also funny how whenever we get bland, non-answers from the GM, every complains how they never say anything and now that he directly answers a question every complains it's unprofessional? 

I liked the answer, wish we saw more of that.

Just because Jack's presser was unprofessional doesn't give the entire Sabres org cart blanche to just act the same way.

PLEASE MAY I HAVE JUST A CRUMB OF CREDIBILITY

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Just because Jack's presser was unprofessional doesn't give the entire Sabres org cart blanche to just act the same way.

PLEASE MAY I HAVE JUST A CRUMB OF CREDIBILITY

Leave Cate Blanchett out of this! She's a classy lady.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Totally on the same page with @darksabre.

There is some logic to making the move and telling the team privately as part of the 'culture shift' sending the message of don't expect him to come back and reassert himself, it's your team now. But making it public serves no purpose I can see and just twists the knife.

It was going to happen organically and announcing it was totally unnecessary.

Well, he announced it at his presser, and if it wasn't said in response to a question, the question would've certainly been asked -- probably as the 1st or 2nd question.  I don't see how it could possibly have been kept private.

• Thanks (+1) 2

This is just another case of Adams' old school, screw the new generation / "I've won a cup mentality". He's handled this poorly from the start.

Realistically, there's enough evidence to say the disc replacement could work. Yes it's never been done on a hockey player, but someone has to be the first.  He should have been working with the team doctors and insurance people to help get the franchise C what he wants, but be in a position financially to cover their butts if the surgery fails. Personally, I wouldn't want fusion surgery either if I were in Eichel's shoes given there is a permanent albeit small loss in mobility. 

Instead, it's clear the team has done everything it can to work against Eichel... making the team look petty, but worse yet, killing the trade value.

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, he announced it at his presser, and if it wasn't said in response to a question, the question would've certainly been asked -- probably as the 1st or 2nd question.  I don't see how it could possibly have been kept private.

Just watching the presser now.

It was a direct answer to a direct question.

I withdraw my objection.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

This is just another case of Adams' old school, screw the new generation / "I've won a cup mentality". He's handled this poorly from the start.

Realistically, there's enough evidence to say the disc replacement could work. Yes it's never been done on a hockey player, but someone has to be the first.  He should have been working with the team doctors and insurance people to help get the franchise C what he wants, but be in a position financially to cover their butts if the surgery fails. Personally, I wouldn't want fusion surgery either if I were in Eichel's shoes given there is a permanent albeit small loss in mobility. 

Instead, it's clear the team has done everything it can to work against Eichel... making the team look petty, but worse yet, killing the trade value.

100% disagree with just about everything in here. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

What were they going to do, keep it a secret? Eichel has put himself in this mess, there is no need to placate him at this point. 

That's not the point. The point is that it would have been very easy to say: Jack is hurt and as a result we are going to start the season without assigning a captain. And then eventually he gets traded and you just let it happen organically. It's that simple and drama free.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The stripping of captaincy didn't need to be this public.

True, KA didn’t have to make a statement, but the Mike Harringtons in the room were hellbent on doing it for him, anyway. There was no way Adams was not going to have to say Eichel was no longer captain. Still, Adams lacks the necessary savvy required. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Adams is far from old school.  Relative to his peers he is a kid. 

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

True, KA didn’t have to make a statement, but the Mike Harringtons in the room were hellbent on doing it for him, anyway. There was no way Adams was not going to have to say Eichel was no longer captain. Still, Adams lacks the necessary savvy required. 

His statements on “heart and soul” were surprising.  I’m just

surprised he said that.  

It seems to show the level of contention.  

He could have said so many other things   I hope they don’t pick a Captain this year     

Edited by Pimlach

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Just watching the presser now.

It was a direct answer to a direct question.

I withdraw my objection.

If that’s the case then I, too, have to withdraw my objection. I just assumed the report of KA leading with the statement was true. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

His statements on “heart and soul” were stupid. I’m surprised he said that.  

It seems to show the level of contention.  

He could have said so many other things   I hope they don’t pick a Captain this year     

Like I said, he lacks the savvy required for these pressers. Many ex-players now in management positions do. 

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

That's not the point. The point is that it would have been very easy to say: Jack is hurt and as a result we are going to start the season without assigning a captain. And then eventually he gets traded and you just let it happen organically. It's that simple and drama free.

And it sends the wrong message to the team. This guy that says he has to look out for himself, doesn’t want to be on the team, had his agent trying to force a trade publicly, refuses the surgery the doctors approve is still your captain and leader. Wow

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

And it sends the wrong message to the team. This guy that says he has to look out for himself, doesn’t want to be on the team, had his agent trying to force a trade publicly, refuses the surgery the doctors approve is still your captain and leader. Wow

There are definitely many ways to message this.  Sounds like Adam’s chose the sledgehammer.  I won’t be able to see the Presser until tonight so  without all the context it’s hard for me tell how it came off. 

BTW, he can talk to the team directly.  I doubt he was using the press to send a message to the team.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.