Sabres Hired Tim Kennedy and Nathan Paetsch as Development Coaches

Brawndo

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

Is there an unwritten rule that we can only hire former Sabres? It’s like a person playing fantasy and only drafting players from their favorite team, but in real life. 

I'm beginning to suspect the rule is written if you have access to the secret Pegula manual

From a nice article by Jourdon LaBarber at Sabres.com

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-hire-tim-kennedy-nathan-paetsch-development-coaches/c-325983330

Kennedy, a sixth-round pick and Buffalo native, played 162 games for four teams. He most recently served as director for the Academy of Hockey, where he organized and led on-ice development sessions. 

Paetsch, a seventh-round pick who was a member of the Sabres' Presidents' Trophy winning team in 2006-07, announced his retirement from playing last December. He spent his last three seasons in a mentorship role with the Rochester Americans, seeing limited playing time while effectively serving as an extended member of the coaching staff.

They've been quietly on the payroll paying their dues and got a job promotion because their boss (Adam Mair) things they do it very well. Terrible people those Pegulas' for running a company like that....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Is there an unwritten rule that we can only hire former Sabres? It’s like a person playing fantasy and only drafting players from their favorite team, but in real life. 

They still have Dan Girardi as a Development Coach too but your point is valid.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Does anyone have any idea of their qualifications?

A  not well fleshed out theory.....

Players like Mair, Ellis, Kennedy, Paetch had skill sets that weren't high enough for skill to take over but their coachability made them easy targets for the coaching staff to develop.  Short version, they recieved alot of attention and skills development exposure from the staff.  And they were probably players that showed an ability later in their careers to pass those lessons on to the players around them.  The team recognized this and developed that part of their talent further.

Add in relatively low salaries so they need a continued income source and........... they show up here for us to make fun of.

• Like (+1) 2

Interesting how the Sabres hockey department is changing.

MAY 2020 (36)

Senior executives: 4

Botterill, Sexton, Greeley, Jakubowski

Scouts: 20

AMATEUR: Jankowski (head amateur), Crisp, Banika, Cocker, Ferner, Fingal, Halpenny, Hansch, O'Connor, Pyette, Tiesling, Welin, Forton, Devine, Dunne, Musil, Riley PRO: Van Boxmeer, Beamish, Crowe

Coaches: 11

BUF: Krueger, Smith, Granato, Bales, ROC: Taylor, Dineen, Peterson DEV: Komisarek, Barch, Mair, Kotyk

Data analysts: 1

Nightingale

AFTER THE TWO NEW ANALYTICS JOBS ARE FILLED (29)

Senior executives: 3

Adams, Karmanos, Jakubowski

Scouts: 8

Forton (head amateur), Crowe (head pro), Devine, Dunne, Musil, Forsberg, Beamish, Musser

Coaches: 14

BUF: Granato, Bales, Christie, Ellis, Wilford, ROC: Appert, Weber, Peca DEV: Mair, Kennedy, Paetsch, Girardi, Ansell, Kotyk

Data analysts: 4

Ventura, Nightingale, 2 more hirings TBA

They've trimmed their scouting department by 12 bodies (and don't seem to differentiate between pro and amateur any more), but added three each to the coaching an analytics departments.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, pi2000 said:

It's great to have Tim Kennedy in a player development role.   

He's a shining example of how developing a player properly can lead to a long and prosperous career with the organi..... wait.

Those who can’t teach?  Tim Kennedy the Matt Ellis of Buffalo born hockey players?

From the Sabres site:

Kennedy most recently served as director for the Academy of Hockey, where he organized and led on-ice development sessions.

Paetsch spent his last three seasons in a mentorship role with the Rochester Americans, seeing limited playing time while effectively serving as an extended member of the coaching staff.

...the Sabres believe they have added development coaches who can speak firsthand to the habits required to become an NHL player.

24 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From the Sabres site:

Kennedy most recently served as director for the Academy of Hockey, where he organized and led on-ice development sessions.

Paetsch spent his last three seasons in a mentorship role with the Rochester Americans, seeing limited playing time while effectively serving as an extended member of the coaching staff.

...the Sabres believe they have added development coaches who can speak firsthand to the habits required to become an NHL player.

I believe the Dude has me blocked.

4 hours ago, woods-racer said:

From a nice article by Jourdon LaBarber at Sabres.com

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-hire-tim-kennedy-nathan-paetsch-development-coaches/c-325983330

Kennedy, a sixth-round pick and Buffalo native, played 162 games for four teams. He most recently served as director for the Academy of Hockey, where he organized and led on-ice development sessions. 

Paetsch, a seventh-round pick who was a member of the Sabres' Presidents' Trophy winning team in 2006-07, announced his retirement from playing last December. He spent his last three seasons in a mentorship role with the Rochester Americans, seeing limited playing time while effectively serving as an extended member of the coaching staff.

They've been quietly on the payroll paying their dues and got a job promotion because their boss (Adam Mair) things they do it very well. Terrible people those Pegulas' for running a company like that....

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

Would be a great idea. Teach these kids to stand up for one another. 

patrick Kaleta was tough? Had to be the most  Pathetic Buffalo sabre of all time .

Great person though 

3 hours ago, Norcal said:

He's ready coaching a level of the junior Sabres 

Is he teaching them how to be greedy? 

11 hours ago, kas23 said:

Would be a great idea. Teach these kids to stand up for one another. 

I think you are confusing Pat Kaleta for a guy that didn’t turtle most of the time.  Yes he fought but he was vastly more well known for being a pest, dirty and turtling.  

6 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

We couldn't get anyone more skilled like Alexander Mogilny and Jay McKee?

What on gods green Earth makes you think Mogilny would be remotely close to being a good coach. 

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

Seems pretty small time to me.  Something like that is now legal (betting on individual sporting events) in Canada, except the provinces have not figured out how to administer it as the law just passed 

21 hours ago, Digger said:

Tim Kennedy wanted to be here..................just not at the right salary at the time.

It was likely his agent who recommended the arbitration route.  Darcy was many things - and I'm pretty sure spiteful was one of them.

7 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Well, it's more like instead of paying the 1,000,000 they paid 333,333 so they spent 677,777 less not 50,000.  I agree though it felt strange at the time.

I think it all had to do with arbitration.  Darcy didn't like it.  

8 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

This article implies that the Sabres offered 800k. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/sports/hockey/08rangers.html

Pay wall, but I trust you.  Still the article seems to 'imply' the Sabres offered x.

I don't think there is actual documentation out there to confirm what the Sabre offer was.

Also, why is there a 'd' on the word hire in the thread title?

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

It was likely his agent who recommended the arbitration route.  Darcy was many things - and I'm pretty sure spiteful was one of them.

I think it all had to do with arbitration.  Darcy didn't like it.  

Yes but at the end of the day, Darcy was right and the Sabres made the right move in walking away.  The salary awarded was too high and he had to take a big cut elsewhere and never really had much success anywhere else.  

It's too bad because he was a likable player.  So was Kahun.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.