What's Ristolainen going to return?

dudacek

Risto trade returns  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What will Risto return in a trade, if it happens in the next few weeks?

• Nothing. He won't be protected and will be a Kraken
    • A good player
    • The equivalent of late 1st, plus
    • The equivalent of late 1st
    • The equivalent of a 2nd
    • The equivalent of a 3rd or less
    • Nothing. He won't be traded prior to the trade deadline, if at all

This is likely an overvaluation of Risto BUT it was mentioned by one of the insiders that the Oilers could be offering up the 19th pick for a defensemen. If that's an offer even straight up I hope that deal is done. Risto for 19 would spin a lot of heads.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

TSN tonight was saying every single Canadian team is currently looking to add a top 4 D man so if KA can't get a deal done for Risto he needs to be fired. 

It does feel that Risto is exactly what more than a handful of teams want and need and his value should be steady compared to some other defensemen on the market.

OEL has a brutal contract and seems to want to control his destination using his NMC (or NTC, either way no difference). Seth Jones has narrowed his list significantly.

I hate Risto for the 19th pick.  Just hate it.

1. Enough ***** trades for lottery tickets and

2. What kind of player do you think we pick up at 19?  Skilled, but flawed.  If you choose wisely you might get another Risto.

3. Assuming 2 is correct (and I will because I believe I am accurate here), using the time value of money concept, a Risto on our roster 3 years from now is less valuable that a Risto on our roster now.

4. The time to get these kids used to winning is now, damn it.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

2. What kind of player do you think we pick up at 19?  Skilled, but flawed.  If you choose wisely you might get another Risto.

3. Assuming 2 is correct (and I will because I believe I am accurate here), using the time value of money concept, a Risto on our roster 3 years from now is less valuable that a Risto on our roster now.

Except the trade isn’t Risto for maybe Risto.  It’s 1 season of Risto for many seasons of maybe Risto.

You think they should flip him at the deadline instead?

26 minutes ago, Curt said:

Except the trade isn’t Risto for maybe Risto.  It’s 1 season of Risto for many seasons of maybe Risto.

You think they should flip him at the deadline instead?

No.  I want a hockey trade now.  Identify the player we need to improve the roster now and use Risto to get that person instead of a lottery ticket that if it cashes in supplies another Risto.  Emphasis on “if”.

Edit-  I also hate late season trade deadline moves cuz they are inevitably lottery ticket deals.  Move the player before they become rentals.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 4

57 minutes ago, Weave said:

If you ignore contracts, sure.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

No.  I want a hockey trade now.  Identify the player we need to improve the roster now and use Risto to get that person instead of a lottery ticket that if it cashes in supplies another Risto.  Emphasis on “if”.

Edit-  I also hate late season trade deadline moves cuz they are inevitably lottery ticket deals.  Move the player before they become rentals.

Do you think a team will trade a player as good or close to as good as Risto with more term and reasonable cap hit in exchange for him?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Agree with 1.  We need a player back, and then some. 

Disagree with 2.  Flawed means what?    Lots of very good players have been taken 19 or less, just not by the Sabres often enough.  

I agree with 4. This rebuild and suffering are driving us all nuts.  

34 minutes ago, Curt said:

Do you think a team will trade a player as good or close to as good as Risto with more term and reasonable cap hit in exchange for him?

We’ll, I thought I replied to this but it didn’t post?  Try again.

A 1yr for 1yr player that maybe fills a different need or has a different skill set is fine.  The whole team can’t all be at the same point in their contracts.

And a young, ready for NHL player that has some risk re: ceiling because they are young is fine too.

Just need it to be a hockey trade, not a magic bean trade.

• Like (+1) 1

What I don't get about Risto is that the vast majority of Sabres fans and analytics junkies on twitter all say the guy is trash.  So why do we expect to get anything serviceable for him in return?  Every team is privy to the same info that shows he's been one of the worst performing defensemen (analytically) over the past few years.   

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, chileanseabass said:

What I don't get about Risto is that the vast majority of Sabres fans and analytics junkies on twitter all say the guy is trash.  So why do we expect to get anything serviceable for him in return?  Every team is privy to the same info that shows he's been one of the worst performing defensemen (analytically) over the past few years.   

A lot of GMs still look at Risto as a big, fluid skating D-man that can hit and contribute a really good chunk on offense.

25 minutes ago, chileanseabass said:

I just watched an NHL team skip taking Jake Bean for free because of how "smart" they are. NHL teams are dumb that's why. 

42 minutes ago, chileanseabass said:

Because fans and number sniffers aren’t running NHL teams.

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

TSN tonight was saying every single Canadian team is currently looking to add a top 4 D man so if KA can't get a deal done for Risto he needs to be fired. 

Winnipeg. They want their new Myers and "BEST TRADE EVER *clap clap clap clap clap*"

54 minutes ago, chileanseabass said:

Skepticism of advanced stats, awareness of the degree of difficulty of the job the Sabres were asking him to perform, and the knowledge that players seem to find that spark once moved away from the collection of talent we have here.

"We can fix him", in short. Add in a few bidders, I could see a decent trade. Like @WeaveI've grown a bit weary of the endless futures conversation. Hockey trades seem to be a dying breed. 

10 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

We're getting less for all 3 than the vast majority of posters think.  We overvalue our chronically last place players.

Agree 1000%.

I also don't think a trade happens for another couple of weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

Kaden Guhle, and a 2nd, does it for me.  If you can get more, be my guest. 

Just Guhle would be an absolute home run. He offers everything Borgen does with legitimate upside.

This would be incredible just to watch the “number sniffers” (outstanding @Weave) melt down.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

And this is how Sabres fan disappointment begins.  The return will be underwhelming.  

I’m not sure how a Risto return could be. I’ve been told for years it would be a win if we just give him away.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.