David Pagnotta: Sabres Exploring Trading Okposo to Seattle

WildCard

SEA has to pick 30 players... a minimum of 14 F, 9 D, and 3 G.   

The total of which must count at least $43.8m (~$1.5m/player) towards their 21-22 cap. 

It should be easy to hit the floor.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You are forgetting that they need to get 50 mil minimum of contracts.  Would you prefer 5.4 mill of the effective Risto or 6 mill for two years of KO? He can run their PP add offense from the blue line and if they get the right partner he can be a very effective player for them. 

Risto is then trade-able at the deadline if they aren’t a playoff team.  If he has success and is playing with the right partner they can always re-sign him.

You are forgetting that they have 30 players to get to the floor and UFAs they sign during their exclusive negotiating window count towards that $50.

The floor is only there to guarantee they don't go exclusively prospects nor that they sell off all their vets right out of the gate.  It realistically is meaningless.

6 hours ago, Weave said:

Yeah, i think he’s the type of vet that really gets the attention of the kids.  I know most want him gone but IMO he’s a valuable presence.

I don't care much one way or the other regarding Okposo, but at this point, his contract is no longer a problem for the team, so if he's a positive no reason not to keep him.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Curt said:

I would be surprised if the Sabres were not periodically exploring various ways they might be able to move a $6M 4th liner.

Im not sure this demands much attention.

It would be terrible asset management to give away draft picks in order to remove a salary they may actually need on the books after whatever transpires with the disgruntled three. 

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You are forgetting that they need to get 50 mil minimum of contracts.  Would you prefer 5.4 mill of the effective Risto or 6 mill for two years of KO? He can run their PP add offense from the blue line and if they get the right partner he can be a very effective player for them. 

Risto is then trade-able at the deadline if they aren’t a playoff team.  If he has success and is playing with the right partner they can always re-sign him.

I’m unfamiliar with this “effective Risto” player. 

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, inkman said:

It would be terrible asset management to give away draft picks in order to remove a salary they may actually need on the books after whatever transpires with the disgruntled three. 

I’m unfamiliar with this “effective Risto” player. 

Then you weren't watching him when he was pairing with McCabe or the years he QB'd our PP or the years where he carried this team in minutes or the seasons he put up 40 points or more.  

Not a perfect player, but definitely one that can make a positive difference when utilized properly.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not a perfect player, but definitely one that can make a positive difference when utilized properly.

Wasn't he a MASSIVE net negative in almost every single measurable category? Only McCabe and Pilut jad the magic sauce that made him less of a liability and as it stands neither are on the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, inkman said:

While I agree that it’s probably not worth it to give up much of anything to move Okposo if they aren’t going to approaching the cap ceiling, I don’t think the Sabres will struggle to barely reach the cap floor either.

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

You know what I’m finding very interesting?

In that podcast with Millard (in the Granato thread, well worth the listen), Donnie gushed about how helpful four veterans were in helping transform the team’s attitude post-Ralph.

Staal is gone, and apparently Reinhart, Risto and Okposo trades are being seriously considered.

Seems odd to rob the new coach of all the guys he was leaning on.

Taking that a step further, Eichel, McCabe, Okposo, Reinhart and Ristolainen all wore letters last year. There is a good chance all could be gone. Has that ever happened?

At this point there's never any discussion of Girgensons filling that vet role as he missed all of last season.  But he'll be back this year.  Isn't he a core vet to guide the young core?

• Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, Weave said:

I could see Okposo being a very valuable locker room addition. He might not need much of a sweeter to move depending on how Seattle wants to build there team.

Okposo is a solid pick up for Seattle in a lot of ways. When healthy, he can still play really effective minutes (he's the vowel in the LOG line!) and he can still generate points in a middle six role (as we saw with that 10-game stretch with Granato). He's worn an A for years and been on Team USA. He is a fantastic teammate and even sticks up for teammates at the detriment to himself -- which is terrifying! Selfless and terrifying. And on the social side: he's African-American, which is really important to the city and area (and NHL) to grow the game and inspire more young Black (and Asian, other ethnic minority) kids to get out skating. Seattle got Fitzhugh for radio PBP and JT Brown as a TV analyst, they'll get Black players, too, for both team and community. PK Subban (1 year at a much-too-high 9M, but then extend at a lower/reasonable salary) is a sleeper expansion pick for Seattle as well, especially if NJ throws in a sweetener because of the salary. Longer-term, Okposo could easily become a coach or get involved in the front office for the expansion franchise.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Agreed. But Kyle may not want to stay the last 2 yrs during a rebuild. He may want to try and get his name on a cup.

If that's the case then Seattle would not likely be his highest choice.  He can kind of dictate where he would go.  He has a limited NTC.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

Okposo had a stretch of 12-15 games where we was almost at a PPG production level.  Hoping we can see more of that next season.

I don't see a huge urge to move him. As other have said, he only has 2 years left. He SEEMS to be a good teammate.  When he does play, he is actually pretty productive.

You don't give assets to anyone to take him. If someone WANTS him then you can move him, but nothing beyond that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

If that's the case then Seattle would not likely be his highest choice.  He can kind of dictate where he would go.  He has a limited NTC.

I'm not sure how his limited NTC works but isn't it a set list from when he signed? So Seattle might not be on it. 

Besides that, why wouldn't he want to go to Seattle? No offense Buffalo natives, but it's a nicer city than Buffalo. Why not go there as a veteran leader. Maybe start a move toward a future coaching career. Maybe get deadline traded in the final year to a cup contender. idk, if I'm Kyle I'd be more than happy to get out of a city that doesn't like him or want him and Seattle would be a fun place to play. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not sure how his limited NTC works but isn't it a set list from when he signed? So Seattle might not be on it. 

Besides that, why wouldn't he want to go to Seattle? No offense Buffalo natives, but it's a nicer city than Buffalo. Why not go there as a veteran leader. Maybe start a move toward a future coaching career. Maybe get deadline traded in the final year to a cup contender. idk, if I'm Kyle I'd be more than happy to get out of a city that doesn't like him or want him and Seattle would be a fun place to play. 

I think it was @Taro T that explained that since Kyle has the limited NTC he has to be exposed in the Expansion Draft, but we can't trade him to Seattle, or something like that.  I think he makes his list when he is told by the Sabres that they plan to trade him, but am not sure about that.

7 hours ago, Cage said:

At this point there's never any discussion of Girgensons filling that vet role as he missed all of last season.  But he'll be back this year.  Isn't he a core vet to guide the young core?

Welcome back to the board.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

His ntc has no impact because Seattle is not trading for him, they would be claiming him. He'd need a nmc from my understanding. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.