Around the NHL: 2020-2021

WildCard

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ok, Kucherov vacations for the season to keep TB under the camp and then comes back for the playoffs to win another Cup.  How does TB keep the band together this off-season? 

I think they spend a decent amount of the offseason trying to unload Gourde, Palat and Johnson. If they accomplish that and don't take on salary they should be fine. I don't think losing those three significantly impacts their place as the Cup favorite either.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

I think they spend a decent amount of the offseason trying to unload Gourde, Palat and Johnson. If they accomplish that and don't take on salary they should be fine. I don't think losing those three significantly impacts their place as the Cup favorite either.

The only one I pause at is Gourde, he's been an unsung star for them in the playoffs. His defensive play and PK is incredible.

Palat is still good but they have a glutton of wingers and Johnson is on the serious decline.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

This has nothing to do with moves.  It's just...y'know... off season.

@spndnchz, I seem to recall you said you would need to be away for a while..... and now your back.  Did things work out okay?

This is the most polite way I've ever seen someone asked whether they made bail.

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

And…..go….

@spndnchz- I recall you said you would have to be away for a bit.  And now you're back.  Did everything work out okay?

Just now, Eleven said:

This is the most polite way I've ever seen someone asked whether they made bail.

😛  I don't recall what the reason was; I had the impression it was health or family related but I don't want to presume, so I made it as neutral as possible.

On 6/30/2021 at 9:50 PM, Broken Ankles said:

Like who?  Of the teams that will most likely lose a goalie (Vancouver, Montreal, Minnesota, Dallas) I can’t see Risto replacing any of the current number three defenseman on the protection list.  Maybe Myers in Vancouver. 

If Risto can't be moved, do you think he might just call it quits with the NHL and return to Liiga or play in the KHL?

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'll just leave this here...

So does that graph mean that 22-year-old defensemen contribute substantially more to wins than 28-year-old defensemen?

If so, it's another reason to be skeptical of WAR, which to me seems like the least reliable analytical stat because my understanding is that it is built on assumptions on top of assumptions.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So does that graph mean that 22-year-old defensemen contribute substantially more to wins than 28-year-old defensemen?

If so, it's another reason to be skeptical of WAR, which to me seems like the least reliable analytical stat because my understanding is that it is built on assumptions on top of assumptions.

But how many 22 year old defenders play regular NHL minutes? 

The important part isn't 22 but what happens right around 30. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

Thanks for your concern. It was family thing. It was close, but he’s well now. 

Glad to read that.  Best to you and your family.

• Like (+1) 2

Some notes from Friedman:

- Danault and the Habs were $500-750K apart on a long-term extension before the season.

- Chicago and Edmonton have been talking about a Duncan Keith deal for weeks now. Some questioning if it gets done.

- Vancouver is trying to move Nate Schmidt

- Toronto will lose Zach Hyman

- Philly plans to leave Jakub Voracek unprotected in the expansion draft and if he’s not selected there they’ll look for a trade

- There is speculation Carolina will NOT qualify Alex Nedeljkovic which is ***** insane and we need to be all over that

- A lot of interest across the league in Arizona center Christian Dvorak (hi, yes please)

- Kings and Blues possibilities if Landeskog leaves Colorado

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-nhls-olympic-participation-stands-off-season-begins/

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Would definitely be interested in Schmidt. He has a pretty bad cap hit. If the Sabres are committed to trading Eichel and rebuilding, taking on salary in exchange for picks and prospects is great way to restock prospect pools. Schmidt also has a good resume as a solid 2/3 defenseman.

6 minutes ago, NAF said:

Would definitely be interested in Schmidt. He has a pretty bad cap hit. If the Sabres are committed to trading Eichel and rebuilding, taking on salary in exchange for picks and prospects is great way to restock prospect pools. Schmidt also has a good resume as a solid 2/3 defenseman.

I agree. He was very good in Vegas. One bad year in Vancouver doesn’t entirely turn me off to having him on board as long as we do indeed plan to move a few other expensive pieces.

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Some notes from Friedman:

- Danault and the Habs were $500-750K apart on a long-term extension before the season.

- Chicago and Edmonton have been talking about a Duncan Keith deal for weeks now. Some questioning if it gets done.

- Toronto will lose Zach Hyman

- Philly plans to leave Jakub Voracek unprotected in the expansion draft and if he’s not selected there they’ll look for a trade

- There is speculation Carolina will NOT qualify Alex Nedeljkovic which is ***** insane and we need to be all over that

- A lot of interest across the league in Arizona center Christian Dvorak (hi, yes please)

- Kings and Blues possibilities if Landeskog leaves Colorado

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/31-thoughts-nhls-olympic-participation-stands-off-season-begins/

That'll hurt Toronto 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The ESPYs named Patrick Kane the Best NHL Player of 2021. Yikes.

These guys KNOW hockey.

🤣

How long is their contract with league, again?

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The ESPYs named Patrick Kane the Best NHL Player of 2021. Yikes.

These guys KNOW hockey.

🤣

How long is their contract with league, again?