Around the NHL: 2020-2021

WildCard

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

except he's not good anymore?

Not as a top pair guy but to just sit him on the 3rd pair and mentor kids. That’s be solid.

But again, that would be for a 5th at most and I’d be more inclined to acquire him as a cap dump

2 minutes ago, jsb said:

Keith’s Cap hit is 5.54M for 2 years or so but he’s only owed 3.6M total the next 2 years (2.1 this year, 1.5 next). Feels like a budget trade for the Oilers to me

Something I’m sure McDavid is thrilled about!

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Didn't realize Kane had that major (and lasting) of an impact relative to other players on casual fans 

He's American, your population is much bigger, and he was the leading American scorer after Auston Matthews, who plays on a Canadian team (and who probably still isn't quite as widely known)

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He's American, your population is much bigger, and he was the leading American scorer after Auston Matthews, who plays on a Canadian team (and who probably still isn't quite as widely known)

Also ESPN only broadcasts in the US, right?  It's TSN/RDS up there and presumably they aren't tied up in the Espys?

Just now, Eleven said:

Also ESPN only broadcasts in the US, right?  It's TSN/RDS up there and presumably they aren't tied up in the Espys?

Pretty much. It's TSN and really Rogers Sportsnet now that have it all, ESPN is a specialty channel maybe. We follow the Espy's cause any big American cultural event is ipso facto a "thing" here because your popular culture is ours, but I don't think many canadians would be voting in an ESPN poll, if it was even open to Canadians. 

30 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is only the third time the award has ever been given to an American

Just now, Brawndo said:

Columbus’s Price is High Round Now, Dach or Debrincat is the ask per Friedman 

Because teams almost never get their ask this is a good sign for Chicago’s pursuit. If you can get him to sign an extension then your first and a lesser player than the two mentioned then you make the deal.

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Honestly I can understand the idea, acquire a guy with a wealth of experience on the cheap. However, Keith somehow garnered a solid prospect and a 3rd while having no salary retained. 

Personally I would offered a 5th depending on what our D looked like after the draft and trades but to give up 2 alright assets is bonkers.

Cant ever underestimate the value of veteran leadership for a team. Something the Sabres have been lacking since Black Sunday. 

10 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Cant ever underestimate the value of veteran leadership for a team. Something the Sabres have been lacking since Black Sunday. 

This.

Remember when everyone was so sure that the Habs were crazy for trading PK for Weber?

I'll predict that the Keith trade makes the Oilers a better team.  Keith still knows what to do and he still has enough juice in his legs to play -- he averaged over 23 min per game last season.  Edmonton gave up a 24-year-old defenseman whose ice time has dropped from almost 20 min to 14 min to 13.5 min per game over the last 3 years.

I would've traded one of the Sabres' glut of lower-pairing defensemen for Keith in a heartbeat.

• nfreeman changed the title to Around the NHL -- Off season 2021
8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Holy moly. That's a lot of money to buy out. Wow.

image.thumb.png.48995ae4a12016fb58799b3209404f56.pngimage.thumb.png.2ae4fe4a934ab0987cf03ac4d1220ab3.png

Those buyouts are absurd. Left is Parise, right is Suter.

Forgot they got the same contract (I believe) so yeah their buyouts are the same.

Edited by WildCard