Would you trade down one slot?

GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

It feels like this organization is going backwards you're about to trade your franchise center and sam .

You're only left with casey and cozens who knows if he will  Regress.

They cant draft A guy that will likely take 3-4  years to be an impact player

Well, I'm also in favor of signing Rhino long term unless he just wants out. I'm also in favor of keeping Jack to see how his injury situation plays out and also you have a season to evaluate his situation.

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Well, I'm also in favor of signing Rhino long term unless he just wants out. I'm also in favor of keeping Jack to see how his injury situation plays out and also you have a season to evaluate his situation.

I dont see jack eichel playing another game for us which sucks.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

It feels like this organization is going backwards you're about to trade your franchise center and sam .

You're only left with casey and cozens who knows if he will  Regress.

They cant draft A guy that will likely take 3-4  years to be an impact player

I'm expecting Zegras or byfield back, so there is your 1C with cozens and casey also.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Read again, last few minutes in tight games yes, I want my two best D on the ice.

I’d want the 2 best defensive Dmen in that situation.   Could be a combo of Borgen and Power.   Not sure that will ever be Dahlin

need a goal in the last minute.  That’s Dahlin and Joker 

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

I think it's unlikely Dahlin moves to his off-hand and plays top pair minutes doing such 

Both Power and Dahlin are very fluid on their opposite side.

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Another thought, the expansion lists are due on July 17th. Perhaps the Sabres can take a look at the available players come to an agreement with Seattle on one and move down a spot in exchange for said player 

It's unlikely anyone worth enough to get you to move down from the top pick in the draft will be left unprotected and if they are Seattle isn't going to give that up.

If you have conviction that one player is going to be the best in this draft...even if it is only by a little bit, then no. You take the player you are pretty sure is going to be the best.

However, if you are having a hard time deciding between 2 players, then I would move down but for nothing less than a high 2nd rounder.  Again, that is only if you really are having a hard time making a decision.

You won the lottery. Use the pick.  There might not be a 'superstar' in waiting but there sure will be some very good to great NHL players here. You have the top choice of those prospects, use it and don't get too cute.

The only other thing I would consider if is you could find a way to rid yourself of Skinners contract, that may change things...but nothing else.  Okposo, I'm even good with his contract because it only has a couple years left. 

Edited by mjd1001

20 hours ago, JohnC said:

Yes. 🙂

I have it on good authority that an anchor is a terrible player that drags down a line or team.  Sigh.  

20 hours ago, Weave said:

Statistically moving down in the NHL draft is a stupid move, but if we can use it to fill a hole, I’m in.

I’m into filling holes as well 

15 hours ago, Hoss said:

Both Power and Dahlin are very fluid on their opposite side.

It's unlikely anyone worth enough to get you to move down from the top pick in the draft will be left unprotected and if they are Seattle isn't going to give that up.

At the NHL level?

D-men don't play their offhand on the top pair in the NHL. Maybe Dahlin will be the exception, but until it happens I won't expect it, nevermind actively plan for it. That would be really, really unwise. 

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

At the NHL level?

D-men don't play their offhand on the top pair in the NHL. Maybe Dahlin will be the exception, but until it happens I won't expect it, nevermind actively plan for it. That would be really, really unwise. 

Correct. I was mostly noting I think they’d be capable at doing so to some extent if needed/wanted. I also hope there’s a sexy young RHD coming back in an Eichel or Reinhart deal.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Correct. I was mostly noting I think they’d be capable at doing so to some extent if needed/wanted. I also hope there’s a sexy young RHD coming back in an Eichel or Reinhart deal.

Would Letang get it done?

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He doesn’t fit the young part at all and I wouldn’t accept him as a centerpiece to either deal but if he’s available I’d definitely make a deal there.

Should have only bolded the first bit to get my joke across i suppose 

On 6/3/2021 at 7:33 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let’s  say for arguments sake that the Kraken want the 1st overall pick for PR and other reasons and want Owen Power to be their anchor D man for the next decade.  

Is there a deal to be had here? 

I think there is especially if the Sabres want Beniers or a different D.  

Why not trade down to 2nd and have Sea take KO off our hands in the expansion draft? 

Obviously if the Sabres prefer someone other than Power it makes sense to move down 1 spot. But why not acquire something instead of just dumping a player. If we end up trading Eichel, Sam and Risto, that makes our cap issues moot til Okposo is off the books on it's own.

22 hours ago, Thorny said:

At the NHL level?

Nate Schmidt playing off-hand top-pair minutes for a very good Vegas team is the most recent one that comes to mind for me, off the top of my head. 

The Ducks won a cup with two stud defencemen who shot the same hand. All three of Montreal’s big 3 in the ‘70s shot left.

I’m not saying handedness is not a team-building issue, but it should not be an important issue in the discussion for first overall pick. If Power and Dahlin can work together 25 minutes a night as a number one unit, great. If they can’t, then each of them can play 25 minutes a night with one of them anchoring a second unit.

How good you are at hockey trumps everything else at the draft, and especially at the top of the draft. If the shooting hands of a handful of three-star prospects already in the system are relevant to the selection of Power, then Power should not be in the conversation for #1. 

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Nate Schmidt playing off-hand top-pair minutes for a very good Vegas team is the most recent one that comes to mind for me, off the top of my head. 

The Ducks won a cup with two stud defencemen who shot the same hand. All three of Montreal’s big 3 in the ‘70s shot left.

I’m not saying handedness is not a team-building issue, but it should not be an important issue in the discussion for first overall pick. If Power and Dahlin can work together 25 minutes a night as a number one unit, great. If they can’t, then each of them can play 25 minutes a night with one of them anchoring a second unit.

How good you are at hockey trumps everything else at the draft, and especially at the top of the draft. If the shooting hands of a handful of three-star prospects already in the system are relevant to the selection of Power, then Power should not be in the conversation for #1. 

My issue is more with people making it seem like Dahlin playing the right is anything more than an unlikely result 

I’ve already matter of factly laid out why the “best player available with no regard to position” theory doesn’t hold up as logical at a certain point, so I don’t agree with any of the absolute statements you made. The key is finding out where the line is 

Edited by Thorny

15 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I can't think of a good reason for Seattle to trade up, but what do I know.

If they want a player who will likely be their top LHD for many years (or any other young player they highly covet), then they probably would want to trade up. They have no players right now, so they’ll probably be open to anything. The problem is they’re not likely to part with draft picks. They need as many of those they can get too. The only way I would do it is if we can get Skinner to waive his NMC and they select him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.