Would you trade down one slot?

GASabresIUFAN

Let’s  say for arguments sake that the Kraken want the 1st overall pick for PR and other reasons and want Owen Power to be their anchor D man for the next decade.  

Is there a deal to be had here? 

I think there is especially if the Sabres want Beniers or a different D.  

Why not trade down to 2nd and have Sea take KO off our hands in the expansion draft? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let’s  say for arguments sake that the Kraken want the 1st overall pick for PR and other reasons and want Owen Power to be their anchor D man for the next decade.  

Is there a deal to be had here? 

I think there is especially if the Sabres want Beniers or a different D.  

Why not trade down to 2nd and have Sea take KO off our hands in the expansion draft? 

If Owen Power is the caliber of player who can be an anchor defenseman why would the Sabres give up the opportunity to draft him? The KO contract will come off the books in a couple of years so that contract issue will resolve itself. Although you are not going to get a bang for the buck with KO he is still a useful lower line player, and also a mature presence in the locker room that is going to get younger. And as a poster previously posted he has a no move clause. So that fantasy desire is not going to happen for him or for Skinner.  Teams are not dumb. They are reluctant to take on your mistakes unless you give them a sweetheart deal. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

KO is on the books for two more years and he as a M-NTC. So he would have to agree and waive it.  I guess that’s assuming a lot, assuming he would waive it to go to an expansion team.

Actually he wouldn’t since he is available in the expansion draft that is where Sea would acquire him

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, irregularly irregular said:

Might be an opportunity to move that Skinner contract that is going to haunt us for feels like forever.  

And yes, I know there is a NMC. A guy can dream, can't he?

Not even worth a good dream. Skinner is immovable!

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If Owen Power is the caliber of player who can be an anchor defenseman why would the Sabres give up the opportunity to draft him? The KO contract will come off the books in a couple of years so that contract issue will resolve itself. Although you are not going to get a bang for the buck with KO he is still a useful lower line player, and also a mature presence in the locker room that is going to get younger. And as a poster previously posted he has a no move clause. So that fantasy desire is not going to happen for him or for Skinner.  Teams are not dumb. They are reluctant to take on your mistakes unless you give them a sweetheart deal. 

I can answer that question by expanding the hypothetical to draw a point: If we had 3 LHD on the roster of his caliber already, would you suggest selecting Power? I think the answer is firmly "no". Obviously this is an extreme example, but my point is to show that the further down the depth chart you go, the strategy begins to make less sense. You begin to shrink your value margin. If you had 3 LHD all star dmen - they can only all play 20 minutues. If you had say a RHD instead - they could play more than one of them. Or the minutes be better allocated in your F ranks. 

Maybe we aren't at that point right now. That's certainly valid. But where is that point? Is it after having 2 LHD of that caliber? 3? Are we already at it?

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

So anchor is a good thing.  

John Lewis Christmas GIF by John Lewis & Partners

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I can answer that question by expanding the hypothetical to draw a point: If we had 3 LHD on the roster of his caliber already, would you suggest selecting Power? I think the answer is firmly "no". Obviously this is an extreme example, but my point is to show that the further down the depth chart you go, the strategy begins to make less sense. You begin to shrink your value margin. If you had 3 LHD all star dmen - they can only all play 20 minutues. If you had say a RHD instead - they could play more than one of them. Or the minutes be better allocated in your F ranks. 

Maybe we aren't at that point right now. That's certainly valid. But where is that point? Is it after having 2 LHD of that caliber? 3? Are we already at it?

I'm not as concerned with the handedness of our defensemen as most are because what we have now doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be changes in the group in the near future. If Powers is our selection he probably won't be playing right away. My point is that there is still time to draft a player like Power and still have time to resort the unit. 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not as concerned with the handedness of our defensemen as most are because what we have now doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be changes in the group in the near future. If Powers is our selection he probably won't be playing right away. My point is that there is still time to draft a player like Power and still have time to resort the unit

I appreciate that but does it not add a degree of difficulty to navigating the roster? Do we think we should task this management team, that you admittedly say you were disappointed in, with additional degree of difficulty, even if small? 

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

So anchor is a good thing.  

John Lewis Christmas GIF by John Lewis & Partners

Neither. It's like core, the context determines if it's good or bad. With Anchor, it depends if you are looking to stay in, or move away from, your current location. Sabres are well off map

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually he wouldn’t since he is available in the expansion draft that is where Sea would acquire him

Oh the Sabres aren’t forced to protect M-NTC contracts in the expansion draft? I didn’t know this. Cool!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

I appreciate that but does it not add a degree of difficulty to navigating the roster? Do we think we should task this management team, that you admittedly say you were disappointed in, with additional degree of difficulty, even if small? 

Making tough decisions is part of the job. There is no way to avoid them. It's a complex job and a multi-faceted job that has to be faced. I simply don't believe that trying to avoid issues resolves issues. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Making tough decisions is part of the job. There is no way to avoid them. It's a complex job and a multi-faceted job that has to be faced. I simply don't believe that trying to avoid issues resolves issues. 

There's a big difference between avoiding issues and actively creating them by choice 

6 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Oh the Sabres aren’t forced to protect M-NTC contracts in the expansion draft? I didn’t know this. Cool!

I believe they are protected at least that's my understanding.

If eichel is gone and we get Zegras or Byfield in return then I just draft Power.    

Just imagine having him and Dhalin anchor a line and be on the ice  together last two minutes of tight games.
And if we trade Eichel I'm expecting a  2021 1st in return anyway to draft another forward.   So no I don't trade down unless Francis likes Skinner.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

NMCs require protection, and take up one of the protected slots. NTCs do not require protection.

Edited by Curt

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.