Sabres win lottery: Wednesday June 2nd, 7pm EDT

WildCard

Just now, Thorny said:

I was tired of getting flamed for suggesting we trade the pick for a *gasp* good player right now, because Sabres twitter has made up it's mind we have to rebuild cause there's "nothing we can do" for a few years at least, so I'm not really engaging on the Sabres twitter front at the moment. I just can't do the rebuild convo anymore 

If I thought they could get a good young player for their pick in this years draft, I’d be all for it.  I’m suspect that anything like that is available. 

It's not really even a comment on whether that can be a viable strategy for KA. I personally don't think it is, but I'm heavily biased in this regard as it's absolutely something I just can't/won't sit through. If we trade Eichel and the best asset back is a prospect I'm not sure what I'll do with myself. 

1 minute ago, inkman said:

If I thought they could get a good young player for their pick in this years draft, I’d be all for it.  I’m suspect that anything like that is available. 

I don't think this is because teams won't trade players for picks, though. I think it's because teams won't trade high picks for players. 

I think if we wanted to deal our top 3 pick for a win now player, we definitely could. But there's no will there 

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

He’s a point a game player.  

He wont be in the NHL level he will likely tap out at 45-50 points but with elite 2 way play .

He will be the new jochen hecht with great 2 way play 

If im picking 1-3 i want a higher calling 

Edited by Buffalonill

33 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

We dont have the time to wait 4-5 years for power to become "elite" 

Beniers  Isn't a point producer so I think that's not a good pick at 3rd overall or 2nd or 1st

He has the most primary points for a freshmen in the last 4 drafts and is 5th if you include D+1 NCAA players behind only Zegras, Newhook, Caufield, and Halloway. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I was tired of getting flamed for suggesting we trade the pick for a *gasp* good player right now, because Sabres twitter has made up it's mind we have to rebuild cause there's "nothing we can do" for a few years at least, so I'm not really engaging on the Sabres twitter front at the moment. I just can't do the rebuild convo anymore 

Ya, the only problem I might have here is how long we get to keep the player we trade for. A draft pick is with us a long time, but a mature player might have a short contract. If we sign long term that might be different. 

• Like (+1) 1

Beniers is above Caufield, Newhook, and Zegras for even strength primary points per game in his draft year compared to their D+1 years. Holloway is the only player to out-produce Beniers in both Even and all Primary Points for the NCAA in either their D or D+1

• Like (+1) 1

Here are production numbers for NCAA players in the last 4 years that are similar to Matthew Beniers and within 1 year of him. I don't think it is fair to expect a freshmen to put up numbers like someone in their D+2 year or more, and honestly we shouldn't expect him to put up numbers comparable to D+1 guys either but it is a good comparison. 

D+1 Holloway: 0.7273 EVp1/GP, 1.0909 P1/PG

DY Beniers: 0.7083 EVp1/GP, 0.7916 P1/PG

D+1 Newhook: 0.6765 EVp1/GP, 1.0000 P1/PG

D+1 Caufield: 0.5 EVp1/GP, 0.8333 P1/PG

D+1 Zegras: 0.4545 EVp1/GP, 0.8182 P1/PG

DY B. Tkachuk: 0.425 EVp1/GP, 0.575 P1/PG

DY K. Johnson: 0.3846 EVp1/GP, 0.50 P1/PG

EVp1/PG = Even strength primary points per game, primary point is goal or 1st assist

P1/PG = Primary points per game at all strengths

Edited by LGR4GM

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Beniers is above Caufield, Newhook, and Zegras for even strength primary points per game in his draft year compared to their D+1 years. Holloway is the only player to out-produce Beniers in both Even and all Primary Points for the NCAA in either their D or D+1

Hes not going to be some power house point producer he will lock down the top lines getting 45 -50  points a year .

Like i said i want some one with a higher upside that will hit 80-90 

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

I have zero feelings towards this draft. My desired outcome is to win the first pick and then trade down.

I know where you are coming from, but 2 things result from those thoughts (I have had them myself):

-If this draft is truly a bad draft....then everyone else knows that also and you aren't likely to get much at all to trade down. If you are 100% willing to trade from #1 to #5 or #8 or even 10... because there isn't much of a difference in player quality, then everyone else should know that also and they are not going to give much to move up to get something that isn't much better.

-If this draft is not as a bad at the top as we think, they I don't want them trading down.

I also don't really care that much if they end up picking 2 or 3 instead of 1 this year....but force me to choose and of course I'll take #1.  At some point you have to trust your management team to make a good choice, and giving them the most options is best.  

For those who don't want them to pick #1 because they think the Sabres will screw it up? They could just as easily trade lower in the top 10 and pick up another pick or two....and if the management team is really that bad they can screw up those picks.  

9 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Hes not going to be some power house point producer he will lock down the top lines getting 45 -50  points a year .

And I don't agree. I think that is a lowball number. 

25 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Ya, the only problem I might have here is how long we get to keep the player we trade for. A draft pick is with us a long time, but a mature player might have a short contract. If we sign long term that might be different. 

My thought is that players with actual value may be made available for a top 3 overall pick. I could be wrong, but that's my gut. Not just an older player on an expiring deal, someone at least only headed for RFA

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

This isn't the nfl trade downs will not happen 

Just stay away from Beniers, power !!

So please get pick 3 

Embarrassing take.  😜

I will gladly take Power or Beniers . 

JUST...STAY.....AWAY......FROM.......GUENTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😀

If Beniers is a very good 2 way player who can score 50-60 points a year, be a good locker room guy and a member of the core for the next 10 years, sign me up...even if he is more of a 2C than a 1C.  

No Power, Clarke or any other blueliner for me. If they miss out on Beniers, than give me Eklund or one of the other highly ranked forwards. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I think Beniers could get to a higher ceiling than that, but to be honest I’m not opposed to valuing a “low ceiling/high floor” 50 point lockdown 2C who you can play in any game situation and has a great mentality over an 80 point winger who doesn’t do much to help on D.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think Beniers could get to a higher ceiling than that, but to be honest I’m not opposed to valuing a “low ceiling/high floor” 50 point lockdown 2C who you can play in any game situation and has a great mentality over an 80 point winger who doesn’t do much to help on D.

I wish KA did last draft, re: Lundell 

26 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If Beniers is a very good 2 way player who can score 50-60 points a year, be a good locker room guy and a member of the core for the next 10 years, sign me up...even if he is more of a 2C than a 1C.  

No Powers, Clarke or any other blueliner for me. If they miss out on Beniers, than give me Eklund or one of the other highly ranked forwards. 

No s.  

58 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

No Powers, Clarke or any other blueliner for me. If they miss out on Beniers, than give me Eklund or one of the other highly ranked forwards. 

I would definitely be interested in a D.  I really don't think our D is so good and have so many defensive prospects coming that you would exclude them due to position.

IMO Colorado has an unbelievable top line but it's their top 4 that drive their offense IMO.  I wouldn't mind copying that model. 

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Fairly excited to start reading about the top 10 prospects after we figure out where we pick. I've been completely in the dark on them all year 

Same.  But this year I'm giving zero expectations of who I want or care what the boards immediate reaction is.  I just hope they don't ***** up the pick.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.