2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

9, 16, and 32 (could be 28) are likely picks for Buffalo

9, Jiricek (hoping he slides a hair)

16, Ohgren (hope he is there)

32, this one is hard because the further back we move the more variance we get... Jack Hughes, Danny Zhilikin, Ty Nelson, Sam Rinzel, Gleb Trikozov. Lots of options at 32 could be available. 

Realize that you're just spitballin' right now, but IF Vegas being essentially eliminated & Chicago still has a bad taste in their mouth from their last game in Vegas allows Vegas to drop tonight's game, 15 is still very much in play.

Vegas ends in St. Louis & the 'Nucks have a Gretzky Trade Series preview working and those 2 only have a question as to who will host that series left to be decided.

The 'Nucks could still get past Vegas.  Wouldn't have any money on it, but it is possible.

And, if the Sabres beat the Bruins, could see them pass one of SJ or Anaheim as well.

Which is better?  9 & 16 or 10 & 15?  Personally hoping for 10 & 15 w/ a little lottery ball magic.

While I think winning the first lottery and getting Wright would be amazing, a part of me would almost rather get up to 2 and take Nemec and then in 3-4 years icing one of the best defenses this league has ever seen in 

Samuellson-Dahlin

Power-Nemec

Johnson-Jokiharju

Having Samuelson-Dahlin or Power-Nemec out for 48 minutes a night is a salivating thought. And Johnson-Joki for 12 minutes poses no problems for me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

9 and 16 will be interesting picks because they are in the middle of different tiers of players. 

I would like Jiricek at 9 but I don’t think he will drop. Some lists have Savoie dropping that much but I think the Sabres will be deciding between Nazar, Kemell and Lambert. Lambert has so much skill, he could end up as the best player in this draft. The question is whether he can put it all together and work with others.

Gauthier, Kasper, Ohgren at 16 are possibilities. Howard has had a good showing at the U18 tournament.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I would like Jiricek at 9 but I don’t think he will drop. Some lists have Savoie dropping that much but I think the Sabres will be deciding between Nazar, Kemell and Lambert. Lambert has so much skill, he could end up as the best player in this draft. The question is whether he can put it all together and work with others.

Gauthier, Kasper, Ohgren at 16 are possibilities. Howard has had a good showing at the U18 tournament.

I think that Cutter Gauthier should be in the running for consideration at 9/10/11.

Size and physicality at 6-3 190, intensity, speed, a great shot, pretty good playmaking too.  I think it’s a player profile that Buffalo needs to add more of.   I just see a lot of attributes that say  future NHL goal scoring power forward.

Again, to you guys who follow this stuff closely: Would you rather have 16 this year or a pick in the bottom third of the '23 draft? I ask because I've read here and elsewhere how strong next year's crop of prospects will be.

Obviously will be determined by the ping pong balls. Which begs another question. If Las Vegas 'wins' and moves up to 10 (however unlikely) does the traded pick automatically defer to '23 or does Las Vegas have the option to defer in that scenario? 

18 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Again, to you guys who follow this stuff closely: Would you rather have 16 this year or a pick in the bottom third of the '23 draft? I ask because I've read here and elsewhere how strong next year's crop of prospects will be.

Obviously will be determined by the ping pong balls. Which begs another question. If Las Vegas 'wins' and moves up to 10 (however unlikely) does the traded pick automatically defer to '23 or does Las Vegas have the option to defer in that scenario? 

The pick is top 10 protected. Vegas chance of winning is tiny but if they did move up it can only be 10 spots, so from 16th to 6th. If that happened then the pick would defer to 2023 with no protection.

The top 10 of the 2023 draft will be high end but no one knows where the dips will be after that.

Just prepare for the 16th pick this year.

Edited by Flashsabre

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I think that Cutter Gauthier should be in the running for consideration at 9/10/11.

Size and physicality at 6-3 190, intensity, speed, a great shot, pretty good playmaking too.  I think it’s a player profile that Buffalo needs to add more of.   I just see a lot of attributes that say  future NHL goal scoring power forward.

My perception is Gauthier is ranked between our 1st 2 picks, but he has caught my eye as well.

I agree that the system could use a mean Alex Tuch.

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My perception is Gauthier is ranked between our 1st 2 picks, but he has caught my eye as well.

I agree that the system could use a mean Alex Tuch.

Pretty much, that’s where he is generally ranked, but if a guy is “consensus” ranked at 14 and you draft him at 10, whoopdy doo, what’s the difference?  If it’s an organizational fit, then it’s not even an overdraft.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Pretty much, that’s where he is generally ranked, but if a guy is “consensus” ranked at 14 and you draft him at 10, whoopdy doo, what’s the difference?  If it’s an organizational fit, then it’s not even an overdraft.

Absolutely.

I think fans put way too much faith in consensus rankings, which give equal weight to Tampa’s opinion, Arizona’s opinion, and the opinions of basement hobbyists.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Absolutely.

I think fans put way too much faith in consensus rankings, which give equal weight to Tampa’s opinion, Arizona’s opinion, and the opinions of basement hobbyists.

Ottawa reaching with Tyler Boucher is certainly different than picking the 14th ranked guy 10th. I’ve watched Boucher play 4 playoff games vs North Bay and he has tools but does not look like a 1st rounder.

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay, 9th and 16th are locked without worrying about the lottery. Doesn't matter without a Sabres lotto win because they'll be options. I'll list my top 3 options at 9 and 16.

Technically 11th & 16 are locked.  (If teams w/10 - 15 win both lotteries, the Sabres can fall 2 more from 9.  Doubtful, but possible.)

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Apparently representatives for several NHL teams met up with Ivan Miroshnichenko in Germany (where he is getting his chemo treatment). Wonder if sabres had anyone speaking to him. (Source 32 thoughts pod).

I listened to a podcast this morning that had Craig Button as a guest. He is at the U18 tournament in Germany and he said there were 150 NHL team staff over there, including some GMs. 
Sabres must have some scouts and hopefully they considered talking to the kid.

I hope his treatment is going well, he may go much later than was expected months ago and turn out to be a solid NHLer.

3 hours ago, steveoath said:

Apparently representatives for several NHL teams met up with Ivan Miroshnichenko in Germany (where he is getting his chemo treatment). Wonder if sabres had anyone speaking to him. (Source 32 thoughts pod).

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

I listened to a podcast this morning that had Craig Button as a guest. He is at the U18 tournament in Germany and he said there were 150 NHL team staff over there, including some GMs. 
Sabres must have some scouts and hopefully they considered talking to the kid.

I hope his treatment is going well, he may go much later than was expected months ago and turn out to be a solid NHLer.

Jerry Forton, Sabres Director of Scouting and a large majority of the Sabres Scouting Staff are in Germany for the U 18s 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.