2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

So what exactly happened to Lambert anyway?

It was his third year playing Liiga and he should have improved over last year but his numbers were not as good. It sounds like his line mates and he did not mesh well or they were a step behind so there was not much support. There was some controversy about the team and he switched teams mid season but that did not improve his numbers.

His only good showing was 2 games at the World Juniors vs his peers. He has all kinds of talent and blazing speed.

I would put some weight on his interview, to try and get to the bottom of why he seemed to regress from being right up there with Wright to dropping into the teens on many lists.

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

So what exactly happened to Lambert anyway?

He has not produced in the pro league and has forced his way off a couple teams. Rumours that his dad is gets too involved.  He had a good start to the WJCs before they got cancelled. If he has a big WJCs in August then his stock might start to rise again. Has all the tools but hasn’t been able to put it all together.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

He has not produced in the pro league and has forced his way off a couple teams. Rumours that his dad is gets too involved.  He had a good start to the WJCs before they got cancelled. If he has a big WJCs in August then his stock might start to rise again. Has all the tools but hasn’t been able to put it all together.

He needs a bigger tool box

5 hours ago, French Collection said:

I would put some weight on his interview, to try and get to the bottom of why he seemed to regress from being right up there with Wright to dropping into the teens on many lists.

If he’s able to maturely articulate that he himself has probably been his biggest developmental burden, I might take him at 16. If he starts spouting excuses, then you politely wrap up the interview. Wouldn’t take him without speaking with his dad either. 

• Like (+1) 2

Nemec, Jiricek, Slavkovsky, Cooley and Wright will be gone by our turn, correct?

But at least one of Gauthier, Kemmel, Lekkerimaki and (outside chance) Savoie should be there at 9?

And that group may overlap with names like Nazar, Geekie, Lambert, Yurov, Miroshnichenko, Kaspar and Ohgren, some of whom may also be there at 16, especially when you factor in some defencemen also being taken?

And the way the draft stacks up (meaning it lack consensus), we shouldn't be surprised if we take 2 players at 9 and 16 some are going to think we could have had at 16 and 28?

Am I reading this correctly, two months out?

I'm seeing a lot of mocks where we are taking Gauthier (who is starting to look like my guy, pending someone sliding) and Korchinski (who seems like decent value but terrible fit).

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Nemec, Jiricek, Slavkovsky, Cooley and Wright will be gone by our turn, correct?

But at least one of Gauthier, Kemmel, Lekkerimaki and (outside chance) Savoie should be there at 9?

And that group may overlap with names like Nazar, Geekie, Lambert, Yurov, Miroshnichenko, Kaspar and Ohgren, some of whom may also be there at 16, especially when you factor in some defencemen also being taken?

And the way the draft stacks up (meaning it lack consensus), we shouldn't be surprised if we take 2 players at 9 and 16 some are going to think we could have had at 16 and 28?

I'm seeing a lot of mocks where we are taking Gauthier (who is starting to look like my guy, pending someone sliding) and Korchinski (who seems like decent value but terrible fit).

I think you are exactly right.  The 9th slot will be one of the 4 you mentioned.  I’ll bet another Dman goes as 6,7 or 8.  So 2 would be on the board.  

52 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I think you are exactly right.  The 9th slot will be one of the 4 you mentioned.  I’ll bet another Dman goes as 6,7 or 8.  So 2 would be on the board.  

Mintyukov, Korchinski and maybe Casey could get into the 7-14 slots. There could be a surprise forward available at 16.

I wouldn’t be opposed to Lambert if he is still there. A key factor would be his interview because he has all of the skills. If drafted I would bring him over to North America and play CHL to get him some confidence by dominating his peers. Maybe he has enough skill to play in the AHL.

Edited by French Collection

59 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Mintyukov, Korchinski and maybe Casey could get into the 7-14 slots. There could be a surprise forward available at 16.

I wouldn’t be opposed to Lambert if he is still there. A key factor would be his interview because he has all of the skills. If drafted I would bring him over to North America and play CHL to get him some confidence by dominating his peers. Maybe he has enough skill to play in the AHL.

When I take a deeper dive into the possibilities, I will be paying the most attention to the prospects who present as being focused on self-improvement and good teammates, followed quickly by fearless and plays fast.

The Adams Sabres have a type and I will be shocked if they don’t stick with it, especially at the top of the draft. I will not be surprised if they bypass more hyped options in order to chase type.

I can almost guarantee they will not pick Brad Lambert - at 9 or at 16.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think this is correct, though I saw a mock on nhl.com yesterday that had Jiricek falling to us (the other dude in the mock draft had us getting Savoie). 

This is a draft where I would not be shocked if the guy we take at 9 is a guy I was thinking of for 16. Basically after the big 5 that you mention there is a group of 20-25 players I would be fine with getting 3 of.

Based on the Quinn and Rosen picks, we may be likely to take players who rank a little lower in the consolidated rankings than where we are picking. 

Edited by Archie Lee

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.tsn.ca/shane-wright-logan-cooley-juraj-slafkovsky-nhl-draft-1.1797803

I don’t know if this was posted or not. It was from draft lottery day. It is Mckenzie’s top 5 (7 really)

1)Wright

2) Slafkovsky 

3) Cooley

4) Nemec

5) Kemell

with Jiricek And Savoie next.

This was Bob’s teaser list. He polled 8 scouts instead of his usual 10. He should be putting his full list out soon.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

When I take a deeper dive into the possibilities, I will be paying the most attention to the prospects who present as being focused on self-improvement and good teammates, followed quickly by fearless and plays fast.

The Adams Sabres have a type and I will be shocked if they don’t stick with it, especially at the top of the draft. I will not be surprised if they bypass more hyped options in order to chase type.

I can almost guarantee they will not pick Brad Lambert - at 9 or at 16.

100%.

Adams has been very open in what he looks for & if one compares his words w/ his earlier selections, he hasn't been coy.

One additional thing he really focuses on is the late bloomer &/or the guy that might not have had the physical tools as early as others in his draft class.  There is a large value placed on those guys being forced to understand the game to be able to hang on whereas the more physically gifted guys could just impose their will w/out necessarily understanding the nuances of the game.

And a guy that may have not been selected for the AAA's but came back again the next year & tried again & eventually succeeded is someone he'll look at very closely.  Which gets back to the things you mentioned. 

• Like (+1) 4

On 5/13/2022 at 10:27 AM, French Collection said:

This was Bob’s teaser list. He polled 8 scouts instead of his usual 10. He should be putting his full list out soon.

Jiricek moved up without playing, don’t see that often

He did score today at the Worlds 

if I’m the Sabres, I think he is the only player in the draft (outside the top 3) that is worth moving up for 

On 5/12/2022 at 10:30 PM, dudacek said:

Do we take him with our 16th pick ? I think he will drop all the way to bottom of 1st round because of his condition.  

11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Do we take him with our 16th pick ? I think he will drop all the way to bottom of 1st round because of his condition.  

I’d certainly consider him at 16. If he’s a top 10 talent and the prognosis for a full recovery is good, why not?

Lot of observers are focused on the teams with multiple picks. That’s CBus at 12, us at 16, Anaheim at 23 and us, Montreal and Arizona twice in what, at the moment, are the final 4 picks.

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’d certainly consider him at 16. If he’s a top 10 talent and the prognosis for a full recovery is good, why not?

Lot of observers are focused on the teams with multiple picks. That’s CBus at 12, us at 16, Anaheim at 23 and us, Montreal and Arizona twice in what, at the moment, are the final 4 picks.

I’ve been really thinking about the Miroshnichenko in particular as well as the other Russian prospects.

Miro was very likely to be a top-10 pick.  Supposedly his prognosis is good and he is in remission.  I think he needs to be considered at 16.  If he is there at the Florida pick, I think it’s mostly a no brainer.

What about Yurov?  Borderline top 5 prospect.  I think he needs to be considered at 9.  At 16, I think you need to pull the trigger.

What about Perevalov and Trikeozov?  Generally regarded as late 1st, early 2nd round guys.  They should be considered at the Florida pick and at our 41st pick.  If they are there at 72, it’s almost a must draft.

I feel like they shouldn’t be too hesitant to draft Russians.  I think this could be an opportunity to grab some undervalued assets.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I’ve been really thinking about the Miroshnichenko in particular as well as the other Russian prospects.

Miro was very likely to be a top-10 pick.  Supposedly his prognosis is good and he is in remission.  I think he needs to be considered at 16.  If he is there at the Florida pick, I think it’s mostly a no brainer.

What about Yurov?  Borderline top 5 prospect.  I think he needs to be considered at 9.  At 16, I think you need to pull the trigger.

What about Perevalov and Trikeozov?  Generally regarded as late 1st, early 2nd round guys.  They should be considered at the Florida pick and at our 41st pick.  If they are there at 72, it’s almost a must draft.

I feel like they shouldn’t be too hesitant to draft Russians.  I think this could be an opportunity to grab some undervalued assets.

Yeah might blow up in our face too, but then still I wouldn't be to fearful to draft Russian.

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

For me Russians are a huge no if they have 2+ years of KHL contract still. With the world the way it is now; if the player is any good he’ll get bribed or blackmailed to stay in the KHL.

But that’s NOT the way the world is now.  Russian players are still signing with their NHL teams and coming over to play in NA.

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

But that’s NOT the way the world is now.  Russian players are still signing with their NHL teams and coming over to play in NA.

I think you have to recognize that there is risk given the instability and war right now.

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think you have to recognize that there is risk given the instability and war right now.

I do.  It is a factor to consider.  However, right now war is happening and it hasn’t stopped Russians from leaving the country yet.

Maybe something worse will happen in the future that changes that, but I can only knock these prospects back so far because of something that might happen at sometime in the future.

If the current situation was “we don’t know when these guys are going to be able to come to NA, but they can’t right now” then sure, knock them down a couple rounds lower than their skill merits, but that not the case right now.

I just can’t get behind a “don’t draft” mentality.  Knock them down half a round maybe, but any more than that seems excessive to me.

Edited by Curt

8 hours ago, Curt said:

I do.  It is a factor to consider.  However, right now war is happening and it hasn’t stopped Russians from leaving the country yet.

Maybe something worse will happen in the future that changes that, but I can only knock these prospects back so far because of something that might happen at sometime in the future.

If the current situation was “we don’t know when these guys are going to be able to come to NA, but they can’t right now” then sure, knock them down a couple rounds lower than their skill merits, but that not the case right now.

I just can’t get behind a “don’t draft” mentality.  Knock them down half a round maybe, but any more than that seems excessive to me.

To me the response is, use the early picks on players that have the standard risks associated with them.  Once you have a couple that you are confident will be hits, then pick some players with risks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

To me the response is, use the early picks on players that have the standard risks associated with them.  Once you have a couple that you are confident will be hits, then pick some players with risks. 

When you say early picks, you mean 9 and 16 specifically?  I can understand that opinion.

I get why some feel very uneasy about the current political situation, but I just haven’t seen any evidence come up that these Russian prospects are going to be much harder to bring over than in the past, despite the current political environment.

I just don’t feel that worried about it.  For example, If you have a guy at #5 based on skills and you can get him at #16, I say go for it.  I know it’s often a case by case basis with Russians based on their contract situations and personal inclinations, but I don’t think the war has made a huge difference in getting these guys over to NA.

4 hours ago, Curt said:

When you say early picks, you mean 9 and 16 specifically?  I can understand that opinion.

I get why some feel very uneasy about the current political situation, but I just haven’t seen any evidence come up that these Russian prospects are going to be much harder to bring over than in the past, despite the current political environment.

I just don’t feel that worried about it.  For example, If you have a guy at #5 based on skills and you can get him at #16, I say go for it.  I know it’s often a case by case basis with Russians based on their contract situations and personal inclinations, but I don’t think the war has made a huge difference in getting these guys over to NA.

Some of it is because I watched a time when it took legit cloak and dagger efforts to get a player out of there.  Some of it is simple risk avoidance.  We’ve got picks.  Get value out of them, dammit.

By early I mean, get a couple guys in hand before adding risk.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.