2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Uber talented and drives offense which is something we need.  The "character" issues I've seen mentioned, but I have yet to see anything specific other then he has changed team a few times.  Which prospect from outside NA hasn't.  His 5 points in 2 World Jr games clearly illustrated that the potential is there.  The article I read about him changing teams is that the first team expected a 17 year old kid to lead a men's league team.  Not exactly a way to help a young player develop into his potential.  It's like giving a C to a 19 year old in the NHL.

My guess is you put a kid like this on a team with strong leadership like Tuch, KO, etc.. he'll become a real asset.

He’s initiated a change of organizations 4 times in 4 seasons.  That’s not at all normal, but it also does not definitively mean that he is a problem.

His production has also not been what was expected of him though.  It has been worse than last season.

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Mark Edwards who runs hockeyprospect.com put out their rankings with Connor Geekie at #2. He said he knows multiple NHL scouts that have Geekie ranked #1. 

I think this draft is going to be really interesting to watch play out.

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if some teams have him ranked very high.  I think the team by team rankings for this draft will be all over the place, so probably will be more surprises than normal.

31 minutes ago, Curt said:

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if some teams have him ranked very high.  I think the team by team rankings for this draft will be all over the place, so probably will be more surprises than normal.

I agree. I think if Buffalo drafts 8th or 9th that we will be surprised with some of the names sitting there.

Edited by Flashsabre

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't believe Buffalo will draft Lambert.

Not with their pick. If he is there at Vegas’ pick they may think about it but only if they have done due diligence and think his character is good.

I think Adams believes strongly in culture and character and will pass on talented players if he thinks that player will be a problem.

Lambert is an enigma. Moving from team to team and not really producing anywhere. The rumours of his dad being too involved is worrisome.

It will be interesting to see if the Isles take him with his uncle Lane coaching there.

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Looks back at jack quinn draft 

When they took a guy higher than many had him rated in large part because of his character?

Lambert’s track record screams me-first, entitlement, and inability to handle adversity.

He seems to be the antithesis of what Adams is trying to build here.

• Like (+1) 3

Other then Wright and slafkovsky, who I think can help this team sooner then later, everyone else seems like good depth long-term.  

I don’t think any of the forwards besides the 2 above are better then Krebs, Cozens, Quinn or Mitts.  The RHD look solid but 2-3 years from even drawing into the lineup. JJP might be a top 8 pick in this draft.

The depth in the draft looks fine.  I like Snuggerud and he is 22nd on Pronmans board. 

Ultimately it’s kind of nice not to be so desperate for talent that you have to project every 1st rd pick immediately into the lineup.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m warm to the idea of taking Mirosnenchenko with the Florida pick.

Not out of the question in the 25-32 range.  Definitely if he is there when they pick in the 2nd.  With 3 first round picks, its the kind of swing you can take.  His is obviously a special case.

However, I wonder how much the other Russian players will slide in the draft considering recent world events.  If a team thinks that said events will not negatively impact their ability to get Russian prospects into their pro system, then it could be a time to load up on Russians at great value.

The way this team is trending I am hoping for a Matthew Savoie to fall to 9th. I think the the 2 RHD will be gone and I think some surprise picks will be made early. Savoie is smaller but has an all world skill set. If not a guy like Nazar. Those two have a skill and compete blend I think is becoming an identity for the Sabres.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes

And yes. I'd give both another year. 

Odds are that they play another year in Europe before coming over.  Then a year in the A to adjust to the smaller ice surface.  If they come over immediately then maybe they get a look in year 2, maybe. Broberg spent 2 years in Europe, received 22 games this season and then got sent down to Bakersfield.  Even Cale Makar spent two years in college post draft and neither RHD in this draft is at his level. 

Nemec will be gone when we draft and I really like Jiricek.  If he’s there at 9 we should take him.  However don’t expect him to be a Sabre before the 2024/25 season.

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Odds are that they play another year in Europe before coming over.  Then a year in the A to adjust to the smaller ice surface.  If they come over immediately then maybe they get a look in year 2, maybe. Broberg spent 2 years in Europe, received 22 games this season and then got sent down to Bakersfield.  Even Cale Makar spent two years in college post draft and neither RHD in this draft is at his level. 

Nemec will be gone when we draft and I really like Jiricek.  If he’s there at 9 we should take him.  However don’t expect him to be a Sabre before the 2024/25 season.

One thing that Power’s decision did for me was to be more patient and think longer term for development. The Sabres have been picking so early for a while that these guys have been inserted immediately and put under the pressure of NHL hockey and fans’ expectations.

I would like Nemec or Jiricek but I am not opposed to taking a RHD like Nelson with a later pick.

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ultimately it’s kind of nice not to be so desperate for talent that you have to project every 1st rd pick immediately into the lineup.   

11 minutes ago, French Collection said:

One thing that Power’s decision did for me was to be more patient and think longer term for development. The Sabres have been picking so early for a while that these guys have been inserted immediately and put under the pressure of NHL hockey and fans’ expectations.

I would like Nemec or Jiricek but I am not opposed to taking a RHD like Nelson with a later pick.

One of the best things about our current team is that we don’t need this year’s picks to step in immediately.  Our roster is young and getting deeper.  We can afford to be patient with our prospects.  In the past guys like UPL, JJP, Quinn, even Laaksonen would already be in the NHL.  It’s possible that only Quinn makes the jump to the NHL next year.  

No matter who we draft this year, I’m confident we’ll let them develop at their own pace.  Now of we get just get the goaltending fixed.  

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sorry took a little longer....

Here are 3 players, I took out their names but left just about everything else. Which one sounds like a better NHL player? How would you rank them without any additional information? This is my problem with Pronman, I scrambled these around from his rankings but they represent different spots from top 10 to top 20 to top 30. How would you rank them based on Pronman's info?

I’ll play.

Definitely B at #1.

Kind of a toss up between A and C.  Need more information.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.