2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Let's just assume this is the draft order... 

1. Arizona - Shane Wright... easy
  2. Montreal - Logan Cooley, they have taken defenders the last few firsts and they desperately need offense, this should be a straight forward pick although they could take Slafskovsky because size.
  3. Seattle - Juraj Slakskovsky, they need everything but this gives Beniers a young and really good winger to work with. I could see them taking Nemec but with think this is the pick. Outside pick is Savoie who is a western canada guy. They could also go rogue and take Geekie and continue to build on that center spine with Beniers. 
  4. Philly - If Slavkovsky goes to Seattle they take Nemec, if not they take him. Either way you can flip these 2 picks IMPO. Philly needs everything and this gives them a #1 RHD so they can slide Risto to #2. 
  5. New Jersey - Devils will look for size IMPO because they are a little smaller up front. They have options and this is my first unsure pick. Kemell is in play here and I think Pickering, Jiricek, Mintyukov are in play as well. I am going a little rogue and have them take Mintyukov. 
  6. Chicago - JK this is Columbus because Chicago had one of the dumbest NHL gms. David Jiricek goes here IMPO. They have a bunch of forwards, they got Boqvist from Chicago already. They could take a lhd or a forward like Savoie and I almost did that but idk Jiricek would make so much sense for Columbus. I think Geekie could be a sneaky pick for them as well. 
  7. Ottawa - Savoie, gives them a speedy center and I think they would like that. Could see Geekie going here as well. 
  8. Detroit - they love Euro players and I think that is where they go. Kemell just fits what Yzerman likes and is the pick IMPO. 
  9. Buffalo - Frank Nazar, yes I wish he was 6'3" but he should measure in at 5'10" and I think the dyanamic skating and puck handling will make up for the size, he's also feisty like skinner. In fact he reminds me of skinner at times. 

That is my guesstimation of picks. I think Mintyukov is the wild card that I tossed in and again, if Geekie goes at 3 to Seattle or Savoie goes early that really upsets what comes after. 

3 Dmen have made moves up the lists of some, creeping up near the top 10. Mintyukov, Mateychuk and Korchinski. I would love to see one of them taken early.

Kemell and Lambert could go top 10 or outside, that is a wild card as you say.

Savoie could go top 5 or outside top 10 as well.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Let's just assume this is the draft order... 

1. Arizona - Shane Wright... easy
  2. Montreal - Logan Cooley, they have taken defenders the last few firsts and they desperately need offense, this should be a straight forward pick although they could take Slafskovsky because size.
  3. Seattle - Juraj Slakskovsky, they need everything but this gives Beniers a young and really good winger to work with. I could see them taking Nemec but with think this is the pick. Outside pick is Savoie who is a western canada guy. They could also go rogue and take Geekie and continue to build on that center spine with Beniers. 
  4. Philly - If Slavkovsky goes to Seattle they take Nemec, if not they take him. Either way you can flip these 2 picks IMPO. Philly needs everything and this gives them a #1 RHD so they can slide Risto to #2. 
  5. New Jersey - Devils will look for size IMPO because they are a little smaller up front. They have options and this is my first unsure pick. Kemell is in play here and I think Pickering, Jiricek, Mintyukov are in play as well. I am going a little rogue and have them take Mintyukov. 
  6. Chicago - JK this is Columbus because Chicago had one of the dumbest NHL gms. David Jiricek goes here IMPO. They have a bunch of forwards, they got Boqvist from Chicago already. They could take a lhd or a forward like Savoie and I almost did that but idk Jiricek would make so much sense for Columbus. I think Geekie could be a sneaky pick for them as well. 
  7. Ottawa - Savoie, gives them a speedy center and I think they would like that. Could see Geekie going here as well. 
  8. Detroit - they love Euro players and I think that is where they go. Kemell just fits what Yzerman likes and is the pick IMPO. 
  9. Buffalo - Frank Nazar, yes I wish he was 6'3" but he should measure in at 5'10" and I think the dyanamic skating and puck handling will make up for the size, he's also feisty like skinner. In fact he reminds me of skinner at times. 

That is my guesstimation of picks. I think Mintyukov is the wild card that I tossed in and again, if Geekie goes at 3 to Seattle or Savoie goes early that really upsets what comes after. 

Your guess is as good as any with this draft. Detroit fans seem to love Kasper as they need a centre and Stevie Y isn’t afraid to go off the board. Lekkeremaki might be a target for them too.

If Jiricek is gone I am hoping Savoie has fallen or Nazar is there.

At the end of the day though I have trust in this scouting staff after the past couple drafts so I will be happy with whoever they feel is the guy at that spot.

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I have a name for later in the draft. 

Jordan Dumais

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/568363/jordan-dumais

Good one.  Not for too late in the draft though.  Seems to generally be ranked in the mid 2nd-mid 3rd range.

Sabres might need to grab him with their 2nd round pick if they want him, or trade up into the late 2nd for him.  If he is still there when they pick in the 3rd, that would be great value.

Offensively dynamic, good skating, smallish winger.  A bit of a creative, pass first guy, but he can score too, good shot.  He has been ridiculously productive in the QMJHL this season.  Has had a huge jump in production from last season, reminiscent of Jack Quinn.

2020-21  
40 games - 10G 19A 29PTS

2021-22
65 games - 36G 63A 99PTS

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

3rd round guy. Our 2nd is too high and he's the type you wait to see if they slide to get the value. 

Good chance that he isn’t on the board at pick #74ish based on where a lot of scouting sources have him ranked, but yeah, pick 42ish would be high for him.

That’s why I suggest a possible trade into the late 2nd for him.  I know that trading up is generally bad value, but they do have the extra picks for it.

20 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Canada vs USA at World U18 Championship on TSN right now.

US up 2-0 after 1.

This is my first viewing of the USNDP team. Flipping back and forth with the Sabres game.

3-2 US in the second.

Fantilli and Bedard just two of the guys that makes 2023 a special top end of the draft.

It's starting to look more likely the picks will be 9-11 and 16-17. #16 if Vegas doesn't make it and if they do I can't see them beating Colorado so #17. #8 starting to look more and more unlikely. I could live with 1st Nazar/Savoie, 2nd Geekie/Ohgren and Casey/Nelson with the 3rd pick and Kyrou/Salomonsson with the 2nd rounder.

• Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

What is the best draft pick spots we can get with 2 wins?

10th?

15/16th for Vegas

28th for Florida?

Not sure if the 2 teams ahead of the Sabres play each other, but presumably if all 3 win out the Sabres would stay in 9th.

Those are the only 2 the Sabres can catch.  (Could technically catch the BJs, but prettysure they have the tie breaker.  Detroit & Otters are the only 2 that can catch the Sabres.

So, Sabres pick will most likely be 9 w/ 1, 2, 7, 8, 10, 11, & doubtfully 12 possible.  Guess that 13 & 14 would also be possible if both lotteries are won by the long shot teams.  (Or at least 12 & 13, as pretty sure the BJs are out of reach.) 

And, answering your actual question, w/ 2 wins, the Sabres will end up w/ 1, 2, 9, 10, 11, 12, or 13.  (14 if somehow they have a tiebreaker over the BJs which pretty sure they don't & teams w/ worse odds both win the lottery.)

Vegas pick could give Sabres 15th best pick through to 32nd pick.

The best the Cats pick can be is 27.  It could also fall as far as 32.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

Watched Canada play Germany.

There is this kid on Canada called Bedard, he could have a future😛

Bedard and Fantilli look like massive studs for the 23 draft. That will be a crazy top end.

There is a kid on Germany that is interesting for this draft named Julian Lutz. 6’2, Extremely talented winger but Button said he didn’t get scouted very much last year because of the pandemic and has been battling injuries most of this year.  Wonder where the scouts see him after this tournament.

Edit: I see some scouting sites have him late 2nd- 3rd Round. I think he might be a riser come draft day.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Interesting read. Another example to me of what a mess the rankings are for this draft. I expect Wright to go first but after that I really won’t be surprised by any picks that are made. The pandemic has really made this a crapshoot and a team with good scouts could have a field day this year. Let’s hope Buffalo continues their trend of quality drafting of the past few years.

• Like (+1) 1

I know it is a couple games in a tournament but I have been completely underwhelmed by Nazar.

I mean these young scouts that they like him better then Cooley the last half of the year, Yikes.  Maybe he has been completely off his game so far and when your team is dominating everyone it can be tricky.

Is that Nightingale’s brother or relative coaching Team USA. If that is the case you have to believe Buffalo will be going to Team USA a couple times in the draft.

47 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I know it is a couple games in a tournament but I have been completely underwhelmed by Nazar.

I mean these young scouts that they like him better then Cooley the last half of the year, Yikes.  Maybe he has been completely off his game so far and when your team is dominating everyone it can be tricky.

Is that Nightingale’s brother or relative coaching Team USA. If that is the case you have to believe Buffalo will be going to Team USA a couple times in the draft.

Cant confirm, but a profie I read on our Nightingale leads me to believe probably. He had a brother in the industry

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Anyone know why Savoie didn't play for Winnipeg in their playoff game tonight?

They won 10-1. Geekie had 1 point and Savoie didn't play. I would say they have a good team.

He got hurt in the 1st game vs Prince Albert. He fell awkwardly and they called it a lower body injury.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

9, 16, and 32 (could be 28) are likely picks for Buffalo

9, Jiricek (hoping he slides a hair)

16, Ohgren (hope he is there)

32, this one is hard because the further back we move the more variance we get... Jack Hughes, Danny Zhilikin, Ty Nelson, Sam Rinzel, Gleb Trikozov. Lots of options at 32 could be available. 

Jiricek or Savoie falling to #9 is my hope for our pick.

#16 is fascinating to me. There will be a run of LHD, there will be some US developmental guys and some European wingers in that range. It will depends who goes before the pick.

28-32 should be able to get an interesting guy here depending on how the other two picks go. If they went two forwards then I see them go D here or centre if a D was picked earlier.

I just have to believe with Nightingale’s brother coaching the US team that the Sabres dip into that roster at some point in the draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.