2022 NHL Draft Rankings

Buffalonill

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Aren’t there 3 attempts?

Not sure which you're referring to, lottery draws, or lottery picks for the Sabres.

The answer to each is, no, just 2.

The league changed the lottery this year.  There are only 2 draws now and teams can only move up at most 10 slots.  Should Vegas will one of the 2 draws, their pick would become #6 and they would keep it.

Buffalo's 3rd 1st rounder will be somewhere between 28-32 because Florida won the President's Trophy.  (Pretty sure it can't become 29, but the other slots in that range are open to them.)

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not sure which you're referring to, lottery draws, or lottery picks for the Sabres.

The answer to each is, no, just 2.

The league changed the lottery this year.  There are only 2 draws now and teams can only move up at most 10 slots. 

That is what I was asking. Thx.  👍🏻

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

I watched Wright and Kingston lose to Oshawa tonight. This is a year I wouldn’t want to win the lottery. Absolutely no assertiveness from Wright whatsoever. I don’t know how to describe it but it always looks like he is holding back but he just might not play with the pace necessary to be that impactful at the next level.

30 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Who’s interested in a center?

kid had an amazing  u18 vs kids his age rather than vs men

Could be a prime target the 8 - 10 slot 

9-10?  Haven’t seen him that high anywhere.  I think he is maybe more of a target at 16.

13 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Who’s interested in a center?

kid had an amazing  u18 vs kids his age rather than vs men

Could be a prime target the 8 - 10 slot 

12 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Recency  bias will vault him much higher.  My guess is that he is gonna skyrocket up the draft boards .   

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Gauthier? Yea he might go top 10. 

All of the USDP guys did good at the u18s this past week too so might see some of them inch up (McGroarty, Howard, Snuggard, Gauthier, Nazar)

No, Kulich.  What’s your opinion of him?

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kulich doesn't play for the USDP.

He's got a great shot. Haven't done much work on him yet. 

I know that Kulich doesn’t play for the USDP.  Neither Crusader or I said USDP.

Crusader mentioned that he is playing great right now, and he might be a top 10 pick.

I haven’t watched him either.  Looks like he can really score.

34 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Nazar probably doesn’t last until 9

I wouldn’t draft him with Vegas’ pick. I don’t see the hype. I see a lot of Eichel vibes with bad body language on the ice, as well as dumb penalties and not doing much to get involved in the play.

There are so many players I like more then him. I would take any of the 3 Swedish forwards before him, Gauthier, Kemell, Savoie, Kulich etc

Not a fan.

Edited by Flashsabre

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I wouldn’t draft him with Vegas’ pick. I don’t see the hype. I see a lot of Eichel vibes with bad body language on the ice, as well as dumb penalties and not doing much to get involved in the play.

There are so many players I like more then him. I would take any of the 3 Swedish forwards before him, Gauthier, Kemell, Savoie, Kulich etc

Not a fan.

His Fancy Stats are amongst the best in the draft this year, that’s where the hype is coming from 

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I was confused by the "no Kilich" comment. 

I'll be okay if he's not there to take. Lots of options 

After the U-18s, it looks like they should get some good talent. 

The Sabres have Four Picks in the Top 41, while Arizona leads the way with Five In the Top 40.

What are people’s opinion of McGroaty?

Guy is a leader and warrior type player. The skating will hold him back some. Thought he had a good tournament for the U.S.

Do people see him going in the teens or late 20s?

30 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Agreed There is not a draft to move up.  Could be the best players who come out of this draft aren’t picked in the top 5 

This draft is reminding me a lot of the NFL draft this year. No dominant guy at the top and a whole bunch of guys that can be grouped closely together. Rather have more kicks at the can in a year like this.

• Like (+1) 1

I was very impressed with Howard, Kaplan, McGroarty from the US World U18 team and Lekkerimaki and Ohgren for the Swedes.  if Lekkerimaki is available at 9 and neither of the D are available is he the choice? 

These are our picks as of today, but if I read the rules correctly they picks could be as follows.
Buffalo 9th - but could also be 1, 2, 10 or 11 depending on the lottery

LV 16th - or if they win the lottery, it will be next season.

FLA 32nd - but could be as high as 28th if they lose in the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs.  So 28, 30, 31 or 32.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The 3 1st round picks will help perpetuate the way KA is building this team. They are young and talented and there needs to be some more guys in the hopper as people age out, move on or are traded.

Assuming Quinn, JJ and UPL make the team next year, the Sabres will be loaded with players that were high picks.

12 players were 1st rounders, 9F and 3 D.

4 we’re 2nd rounders, 2F, 1D and 1G.

The outliers are VO (7) and Bryson (4).

In the pipeline are 1st rounders Johnson and Rosen.

This is a weaker draft but they should be able to find some NHL talent in the first 41 picks. The future is bright and KA and staff seems to want to keep doing it the right way.

9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

The 3 1st round picks will help perpetuate the way KA is building this team. They are young and talented and there needs to be some more guys in the hopper as people age out, move on or are traded.

Assuming Quinn, JJ and UPL make the team next year, the Sabres will be loaded with players that were high picks.

This is a weaker draft but they should be able to find some NHL talent in the first 41 picks. The future is bright and KA and staff seems to want to keep doing it the right way.

Is it weaker overall or is it not determinate because of all the lost covid time... Scouts and teams have their work cut out for them.  I do think it harder to project these guys below the top 5 and the ability of these guys to grow and develop a la a Quinn type.  Im betting more than a few surprise people, hoping those surprises end up on the Sabres.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, French Collection said:

It's really what you do with it, isn't it?

2017 was a meh draft.

We need to go Suzuki/Thomas/Jokiharju/Comtois instead of Rasmussen/Foote/Bowers/Westerlund

15 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Is it weaker overall or is it not determinate because of all the lost covid time... Scouts and teams have their work cut out for them.  I do think it harder to project these guys below the top 5 and the ability of these guys to grow and develop a la a Quinn type.  Im betting more than a few surprise people, hoping those surprises end up on the Sabres.

This is a scout’s draft. There is no absolute difference makers at the top of the draft like next year but there are a lot of solid guys right thru the second round. Most of the guys are kind of squeezed together so like others have said it is about picking the right guys. This is where the good scouting staffs make their hay. The last couple drafts are trending well so let’s hope the Sabres’ scouts have a good weekend.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.