2021 NHL Playoffs 1st Round

Norcal

No doubt the is an extreme policy by Tampa.  One must ask what happened for this to be put in place???

I think back to the Sabres in the 70’s.  As a kid I was initially pretty shocked at all the Leaf fans, the Habs fans, and even the Canucks fans that came into the Aud.   I attended almost every home game up through 1982 and I never saw a fight between Sabres and opposing fans.  I saw a few arguments but nothing got out of hand.   A nice testament to people behavior back then. 

I don’t know what lead to the policy in the first place but must assume there have been problems with opposing fans.  People today are to blame to these policies.  Bad and outrageous behavior is becoming too common.  Lawless behavior with no consequences.  Fights on airplanes, protests that turn to riots, city blocks overtaken, looting, and crime that is so rampant it gets excused away as criminals are released without charges.  

The policy is bad.  People caused the policy.  People should look at themselves.  

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

No doubt the is an extreme policy by Tampa.  One must ask what happened for this to be put in place???

I think back to the Sabres in the 70’s.  As a kid I was initially pretty shocked at all the Leaf fans, the Habs fans, and even the Canucks fans that came into the Aud.   I attended almost every home game up through 1982 and I never saw a fight between Sabres and opposing fans.  I saw a few arguments but nothing got out of hand.   A nice testament to people behavior back then. 

I don’t know what lead to the policy in the first place but must assume there have been problems with opposing fans.  People today are to blame to these policies.  Bad and outrageous behavior is becoming too common.  Lawless behavior with no consequences.  Fights on airplanes, protests that turn to riots, city blocks overtaken, looting, and crime that is so rampant it gets excused away as criminals are released without charges.  

The policy is bad.  People caused the policy.  People should look at themselves.  

Wait until you learn there is far less crime today than there was in the 70's. The reason you are aware of it today is because every human around you has a recording device with instant upload to the world. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Wait until you learn there is far less crime today than there was in the 70's. The reason you are aware of it today is because every human around you has a recording device with instant upload to the world. 

That may be true in general, but I bet you crime at sporting events is higher today than in the 70s. But I would also guess it’s probably not as high as in the 90s when irrational rivalries were at their peak.

I’ve been told many times over the years to never go into a Philadelphia stadium and cheer for the other team or else I’ll get what I deserve which includes an ass beating in the bathroom.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BagBoy said:

This seems like a very clear cut 1st Amendment violation to me.  I would think the team's lawyers are telling them to drop this policy before they get their pants sued off.

The Lightning aren't the government, though.  

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I’m visibly angry at this. 

Me too.  These Tampa folks should see what our arena looks like for even a normal regular season game, much less one against the Habs or Leaves!

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes, I hear that and I realize the media and social media impact.  Looking at crime rates from decades past can be  is leading for a variety of reasons but I certainly see the data that supports your comment.   I can Google search and find differing views well.  Violent crimes and murders have been trending up.  

My comment is not really about crime.  It’s more about people, behavior, and societies tolerance on what is acceptable.   

Tampa is a melting pot with people from all over the country living there.  Visiting fans are prevalent in all their major sports venues.  Something must have happened to initiate the policy.  If this policy is just to shut up visiting fans then it is wrong and should be turned over.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Delayed reaction: "If we come back down here, we're getting TPD." TPD is Tampa Police Department, I'm pretty sure. That's incredible.

Yes, that is exactly what they meant.  The twitter post that had the youtube link in it made that clear.

18 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Many other teams hold that policy. They’re all stupid.

They're insecure, is what they are.

I don't want to live in a world where Leaves and Habs fans don't wear their stuff in Buffalo.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, I hear that and I realize the media and social media impact.  Looking at crime rates from decades past can be  is leading for a variety of reasons but I certainly see the data that supports your comment.   I can Google search and find differing views well.  Violent crimes and murders have been trending up.  

My comment is not really about crime.  It’s more about people, behavior, and societies tolerance on what is acceptable.   

Tampa is a melting pot with people from all over the country living there.  Visiting fans are prevalent in all their major sports venues.  Something must have happened to initiate the policy.  If this policy is just to shut up visiting fans then it is wrong and should be turned over.  

Ok, I think you're wrong. 

38 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Many other teams hold that policy. They’re all stupid.

People can debate the policy but they can also debate how the policies are enforced. Threatening to call the Tampa Bay Police Department is bush league. You could simply take the their names and tell them they’re not invited back into their arena in the future. 

• Like (+1) 1

from what I've gathered elsewhere this incident took place inside their Chase Club seats that come with a lounge. The person in the video was told beforehand they would not be able to wear their jersey in the lounge, but would be fine to wear their jersey at their seat. Evidently they were told wrong information. Apparently these are seats prominently featured on TV and TB wants the TV audience to show TB jerseys. 

2 hours ago, SDS said:

People can debate the policy but they can also debate how the policies are enforced. Threatening to call the Tampa Bay Police Department is bush league. You could simply take the their names and tell them they’re not invited back into their arena in the future. 

Anytime you threaten to get police involved over anything that isn’t directly harming anyone you’re putting lives at risk.

47 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Anytime you threaten to get police involved over anything that isn’t directly harming anyone you’re putting lives at risk.

In the same way that any human interaction puts lives at risk.  Look, let's not extend BLM too far.  I'm firmly in favor of it, but I'm not ACAB about it.

It's a lot smarter for Tampa to enforce its INCREDIBLY STUPID AND INSECURE policy through the police than for it to take direct action through its security staff.

5 hours ago, BagBoy said:

This seems like a very clear cut 1st Amendment violation to me.  I would think the team's lawyers are telling them to drop this policy before they get their pants sued off.

Reread that amendment.  It is clearly not a violation of any constitutional rights.  Not unless the Lightning is a state owned team.

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

Reread that amendment.  It is clearly not a violation of any constitutional rights.  Not unless the Lightning is a state owned team.

Our schools don't do a good enough job of explaining this.  And (before anyone jumps in) no, it doesn't matter that the county owns the arena.

Thanks Eleven and Weave for enlightening me on the Constitutional Law perspective.  Point taken.

It still feels unAmerican/undemocratic to me.  As long as you're not yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theatre when there is no fire, people should be able to express themselves when nobody is adversely impacted in the process.  

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

In the same way that any human interaction puts lives at risk.  Look, let's not extend BLM too far.  I'm firmly in favor of it, but I'm not ACAB about it.

It's a lot smarter for Tampa to enforce its INCREDIBLY STUPID AND INSECURE policy through the police than for it to take direct action through its security staff.

That’s a false choice. It’s not one or the other. Write their names down and don’t don’t them come back.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.