2021 NHL Playoffs 1st Round

Norcal

22 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Toronto is only a product of a terrible division.  Wait till they have to face Boston or Tampa or whomever they get in the semi’s    They will get stomped 

I’m not impressed with them at all 

Still miles ahead of Buffalo 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I have been beating this drum for a decade.  I heard one of the WGR personalities exclaim that the Canes took “his cup”.  That was all I needed to hear.  Some weird entitled BS. The Sabres weren’t good enough.  They got beat.  Regardless of circumstance.  The Canes haters are focusing their emotions in the wrong direction.  It’s the Sabres whom they should hate.  That is who failed you.  Some fragile minded crap.  

Big deal. He asked "why" fans hate them, which is a straw man, as he already knew why. Not agreeing with the reasons and failing to be convinced isn't the same thing as not having it explained. For the record I agree it doesn't make sense to hate the Hurricanes, but the answer for why some people do is ridiculously apparent, like @SwampDalluded to 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Toronto is only a product of a terrible division.  Wait till they have to face Boston or Tampa or whomever they get in the semi’s    They will get stomped 

I agree w/the point about the division, but it bears remembering when talking about a team we need to make up ground on, that if we are looking at the team currently up 3-1 in a playoff series, that's a team that was able to do that sans a point-a-game player and their captain. Are we going to add anyone this offseason as good as Tavares? And we needed to make up a lot of ground as is. 

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

05-06 is why many of us hate Carolina. 

26 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I can hate whomever I want. It’s sports.

I don’t even need a reason.

Good....  Your hate has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and watch your despised teams contend for the Cup!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

im guessing you are basing this off the zero minutes that you have watched of them? They would be in tough against any other playoff team outside the North.

They wouldnt be in the playoffs in the East.   

Correct. Still a better team than Buffalo based on my non-hockey watching criteria. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I agree w/the point about the division, but it bears remembering when talking about a team we need to make up ground on, that if we are looking at the team currently up 3-1 in a playoff series, that's a team that was able to do that sans a point-a-game player and their captain. Are we going to add anyone this offseason as good as Tavares? And we needed to make up a lot of ground as is. 

Sure they have Matthews, Marner (disappearing act once again), Nylander and Tavares.  I like Hyman but their D is poor, Campbell - who knows how good he is and they rely a lot on players over 35 years of age, who aren;t going to improve.  

I think Winnipeg beats them, if they do get to the Semi's they will get swept

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Sure they have Matthews, Marner (disappearing act once again), Nylander and Tavares.  I like Hyman but their D is poor, Campbell - who knows how good he is and they rely a lot on players over 35 years of age, who aren;t going to improve.  

I think Winnipeg beats them, if they do get to the Semi's they will get swept

Winnipeg isn't good. Edmonton actually led for more of the series, 3 OT games could have gone either way - it was basically a toss-up. And Edmonton isn't that good. Your comment on the North was the salient thing, it's not a good division. The Leafs I think healthy are the best of the bunch but they are probably the only team in the division I could see putting up a fight in R3. Still expect they'd lose. 

30 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Winnipeg isn't good. Edmonton actually led for more of the series, 3 OT games could have gone either way - it was basically a toss-up. And Edmonton isn't that good. Your comment on the North was the salient thing, it's not a good division. The Leafs I think healthy are the best of the bunch but they are probably the only team in the division I could see putting up a fight in R3. Still expect they'd lose. 

i would bet that the Leafs get Swept vs TB, Bos and the Avalanche     

A fully healthy Sabres line-up puts up a better fight than MTL.

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Agreed

All three games are good. 

I have to know if Sid and the gang can dig deep and tie it up?

I have to know if Spencer Knight can do it again?

I have to know if Mark Stone will blow a blood vessel celebrating a playoff goal? 

19 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not impressed with them either, but they're a lot better than us. 

Watching the game last night it was obvious both Montreal and Toronto won't beat anyone but each other this year.

Still better than the Sabres right now but, will they be next year? 

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

Big deal. He asked "why" fans hate them, which is a straw man, as he already knew why. Not agreeing with the reasons and failing to be convinced isn't the same thing as not having it explained. For the record I agree it doesn't make sense to hate the Hurricanes, but the answer for why some people do is ridiculously apparent, like @SwampDalluded to 

No, nobody has actually explained it. I know that it relates to 2006 but I don’t understand why that makes them more hated than other franchise that have beat us.

17 minutes ago, Hoss said:

No, nobody has actually explained it. I know that it relates to 2006 but I don’t understand why that makes them more hated than other franchise that have beat us.

They were the team that ended the team many consider to be our closest/most deserving of winning a cup at least in recent memory. "Carolina ended a special run - I'm going to route against Carolina". It's that simple.

There would be more heartbreak associated with that loss than, say, the one in 2011 to the Flyers. People didn't really think the 2011 team was a cup contender, not in the same way. It's easy to see why a fan may attach something emotional to the team that delivered that heartbreak. Even if it's not something I or you or whoever might do. It's sports, the whole thing is illogical.  

It's no more illogical than saying part of why you want Eichel traded is "because you are bored", is it? 😋

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Canes fans, per my experience, also don’t like us nor think very highly of us. Though I doubt too many people in the Buffalo area are interacting with Canes fans on any sort of regular basis. Having spent roughly 8 of the past 11 years in a Carolina, it’s enough for me to dislike them. Great organization right now, though. I hope they fall flat on their face yearly in the playoffs so I can keep catching playoff hockey in person now and then. 

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Canes fans, per my experience, also don’t like us nor think very highly of us. Though I doubt too many people in the Buffalo area are interacting with Canes fans on any sort of regular basis. Having spent roughly 8 of the past 11 years in a Carolina, it’s enough for me to dislike them. Great organization right now, though. I hope they fall flat on their face yearly in the playoffs so I can keep catching playoff hockey in person now and then. 

They seem to have fair-weather fans which is what it is. I just feel like they’re a nothing franchise with more success than us and I don’t have a reason to really care about them in general. I think hating teams because they beat you when your franchise found misfortune is just lame. Give me something real to care about.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

They were the team that ended the team many consider to be our closest/most deserving of winning a cup at least in recent memory. "Carolina ended a special run - I'm going to route against Carolina". It's that simple.

There would be more heartbreak associated with that loss than, say, the one in 2011 to the Flyers. People didn't really think the 2011 team was a cup contender, not in the same way. It's easy to see why a fan may attach something emotional to the team that delivered that heartbreak. Even if it's not something I or you or whoever might do. It's sports, the whole thing is illogical.  

It's no more illogical than saying part of why you want Eichel traded is "because you are bored", is it? 😋

I’ve expounded on my reasoning for wanting Eichel traded, for the record.

3 hours ago, Norcal said:

Watching the game last night it was obvious both Montreal and Toronto won't beat anyone but each other this year.

Still better than the Sabres right now but, will they be next year? 

I think Buffalo has a chance of finishing higher than them.  Now Matthews and Marner are strong regular season players. Tavares at 31 will be a very good #2c with Nylander but what about the rest of the team

this is a team that plays bogo consistently and a lot of their depth is at the tail end (or end) of their careers and they can’t afford to replace them in the UFA market.  
Now if Eichel and Samson are traded for talent that is a 1 or 2 away , then it’s a different conversation 

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

There is not the history of the dastardly duo in NC.  All Sabre fans MUST hate the most dastardly Flyers and equally most dastardly Bruins.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I think Buffalo has a chance of finishing higher than them.  Now Matthews and Marner are strong regular season players. Tavares at 31 will be a very good #2c with Nylander but what about the rest of the team

If you ended here their roster is already better than ours.  They are a better, deeper team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.