Roster Off-Season Gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

You are portraying our GM as being naive. He may not be experienced but he is not dumb. Odds are that he would prefer signing Reinhart to an extended contract. However, if Reinhart gives indications that he is only willing to sign a one year deal and maintain his UFA status for next year then it is smart to trade him this offseason rather than getting lesser offers this season with UFA approaching.  

Eichel is one of the best players in the league. The GM is aware of that.  But because of his serious injury and the disagreement between the parties as to the best course of treatment his status is unsettled. Does the star player want to remain with this floundering franchise or is he determined to move on to a better situation? Don't be surprised if the GM has a good feel for knowing what Jack's thoughts actually are. As with the Reinhart situation there are contract considerations that give the GM more options to trade Jack this year compared to next year when the player has a say as to where he can be dealt. 

The ideal situation is to sign Reinhart to a long term deal and get Jack healthy and retain him. But if both players want out then the time to move them is this offseason instead of waiting when the organization loses leverage. As in life you can't always control a difficult situation but you can make the best of it even when it doesn't reach the level of an ideal situation.   

Agree. So many posters have just assumed KA is not smart. I honestly think he may be smarter than his two predecessors. True he's inexperienced but between him and Karmanos let's see. I think anyone from within this organization is immediately rejected by a sector of fans.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Looks kinda fun. I'm switching Cozens (again lol) and Kempe though. Not that it really matters with F. 

I don’t know why my brain keeps forcing him to the left side but yes definitely switch them.

Risto Trade - Eichel - Reinhart

Peterka - Cozens - Quinn

Skinner - Mittelstadt - Olofsson

Bjork - Asplund - Thompson

Dahlin - Borgen

Power - Jokiharju

Samuelsson - Johnson

If we get a couple goalies in here, and the young players we have develop the way we'd need them to in a rebuild anyways, does the above make a good roster (down the line a little)?

Personally I can't fathom why we'd rebuild again by choice here if that's in any way what is happening

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Peterka - Cozens - Quinn

Dahlin - Borgen

Power - Jokiharju

Samuelsson - Johnson

If we get a couple goalies in here, and the young players we have develop the way we'd need them to in a rebuild anyways, does the above make a good roster?

Personally I can't fathom why we'd rebuild again by choice here if that's in any way what is happening

I think if Eichel definitely wants out this team should absolutely go nuts in the offseason and make a TON of changes. I think the culture is bad with Eichel but it’s even worse if you just trade Eichel then run back mostly the same squad.

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Agree. So many posters have just assumed KA is not smart. I honestly think he may be smarter than his two predecessors. True he's inexperienced but between him and Karmanos let's see. I think anyone from within this organization is immediately rejected by a sector of fans.

As you are indicating whether KA is an astute GM or not there are many very difficult and complicated decisions that need to be made that would be challenging for even  the best GMs in the business. For the most part the tough situation he is in is not of his making. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think if Eichel definitely wants out this team should absolutely go nuts in the offseason and make a TON of changes. I think the culture is bad with Eichel but it’s even worse if you just trade Eichel then run back mostly the same squad.

They will intentionally leave a leadership void and tout that they wanted it open for the taking

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

They will intentionally leave a leadership void and tout that they wanted it open for the taking

In your calculation are you expecting McCabe to be gone? I consider him to be a very solid #2 or good #3 pairing defenseman who is a top shelf character guy. 

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Peterka - Cozens - Quinn

Dahlin - Borgen

Power - Jokiharju

Samuelsson - Johnson

If we get a couple goalies in here, and the young players we have develop the way we'd need them to in a rebuild anyways, does the above make a good roster (down the line a little)?

Is this 2-3 year from now?

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Is this 2-3 year from now?

Yep added in the "down the line a little", that's what I meant. Functions as much as a depth chart in reality but it gives an idea of potential talent in the configuration 

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

In your calculation are you expecting McCabe to be gone? I consider him to be a very solid #2 or good #3 pairing defenseman who is a top shelf character guy. 

I am ya

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I imagine if they do take Power and plan to have him on the roster from day one McCabe is definitely gone. If they do not then McCabe could easily get a one year deal to up his value.

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I imagine if they do take Power and plan to have him on the roster from day one McCabe is definitely gone. If they do not then McCabe could easily get a one year deal to up his value.

I respectfully disagree. Regardless if he is on the roster or goes back to college the McCabe retention or not issue is a separate issue altogether.

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully disagree. Regardless if he is on the roster or goes back to college the McCabe retention or not issue is a separate issue altogether.

If we can bring him back in a role where we aren't counting on him to be there, I'd be open to it. It's too risky to bring him in as the 2nd pair d-man and have no second pair quality replacement due to his proclivity to get injured

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

If we can bring him back in a role where we aren't counting on him to be there, I'd be open to it. It's too risky to bring him in as the 2nd pair d-man and have no second pair quality replacement due to his proclivity to get injured

I agree with you that his injury history is a concern. The injury tendency is difficult to factor in. I just think that this team can use a high character guy like him added to the mix of youngsters. 

• Like (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don’t think so. Dahlin and Power would already be locked in to two of the left spots and then you’ve got a third spot for Samuelsson/Bryson. They could decide to put both of them back in the AHL full time but that feels somewhat unlikely.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I don’t think so. Dahlin and Power would already be locked in to two of the left spots and then you’ve got a third spot for Samuelsson/Bryson. They could decide to put both of them back in the AHL full time but that feels somewhat unlikely.

I just have a different viewpoint on the unit. I'm not sure if Risto is going to be dealt. But if he is the unit as you describe is simply too young. There needs to be more mentorship. I also believe that Power should stay in school another year and be better prepared when he does play in the NHL. Make no mistake what I'm saying.  I do believe he can make the jump to the league next year but I believe that his development will be enhanced spending one more year in college. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Peterka - Cozens - Quinn

Dahlin - Borgen

Power - Jokiharju

Samuelsson - Johnson

This has so much potential and is the obvious path.

All we can do is blame Terry and this legion of idiots for squandering one of the best opportunities in hockey.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

Here, here.  If we're moving Jack (and I think we are), then blow this ***** up.

No, not tank.  Full scale roster reboot though.  Just make sure there are good vets sprinkled throughout the lineup.  Emphasis on good.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Weave said:

Here, here.  If we're moving Jack (and I think we are), then blow this ***** up.

No, not tank.  Full scale roster reboot though.  Just make sure there are good vets sprinkled throughout the lineup.  Emphasis on good.

That’s precisely what I’m saying. Blow it completely up. I honestly feel kind of inspired by the success Vegas has had early on. Florida also had success with a HUGE roster overhaul like ten years ago but that was with less talent. I think when you get a ton of new guys in a room they’re forced to foster good culture.

• Like (+1) 2

Skinner - Eichel Trade - Cozens

Olofsson - Reinhart Trade - Ruotsalainen 

Asplund - Mittlestadt - Thompson

Girgensons - Eichel Trade - Okposo

Bjork - Reinhart Trade - Quinn

Dahlin - Ristolainen Trade

Eichel Trade - Jokiharu

Bryson - Borgen

Samuelsson - Fitzgerald

Ullmark

Pekka-Lukkonen 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

That’s precisely what I’m saying. Blow it completely up. I honestly feel kind of inspired by the success Vegas has had early on. Florida also had success with a HUGE roster overhaul like ten years ago but that was with less talent. I think when you get a ton of new guys in a room they’re forced to foster good culture.

If you get the right guys in place.  Buffalo tried this 6 years ago.  Wrong guys and it didn’t work.  In that situation, personalities matter almost as much as talent.

Edited by Curt

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

If you get the right guys in place.  Buffalo tried this 6 years ago.  Wrong guys and it didn’t work.  In that situation, personalities matter almost as much as talent.

To be fair, it pretty much did work. They just remained stagnant for one year so the front office and team got blown up.

13 minutes ago, Hoss said:

To be fair, it pretty much did work. They just remained stagnant for one year so the front office and team got blown up.

Well, GM and coach were fired amid a swirl of rumors of rifts between the GM/Owners, Coach/players, and player factions.   Need the right people in addition to talent.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Well, GM and coach were fired amid a swirl of rumors of rifts between the GM/Owners, Coach/players, and player factions.   Need the right people in addition to talent.

I’d have preferred another year. I think that team was capable of making a playoff run and, as they say, winning cures all.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

I’d have preferred another year. I think that team was capable of making a playoff run and, as they say, winning cures all.

You are assuming that serious interpersonal conflicts are something that just exist in the background and don’t affect the things that happen around them.  I’m saying that these conflicts did/would have held them back and prevented them from achieving success.

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

You are assuming that serious interpersonal conflicts are something that just exist in the background and don’t affect the things that happen around them.  I’m saying that these conflicts did/would have held them back and prevented them from achieving success.

Potentially. That seems to be the assumption ownership made, as well. They’ve certainly done a good job making decisions over the course of their time here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.