2021 Buffalo Bills

Brawndo

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

That caught my ear, too. I'm still waiting for a good explanation as to what went wrong on the two plays. Jerry Sullivan tried, writing about the secondary playing too deep and a pointless four-man rush — pointless, given how quick Mahomes had to get rid of the ball and how slippery he is. I don't see how either of those points goes to execution.

They don’t. That’s kind of a disappointing answer from him. Double Hill. Double Kelce. Send everyone else at Mahomes. Couldn’t work any less. If nothing else, it eats some clock as he is scrambling.

Also, you said kick it deep. He kicked it deep. The executed that perfectly.

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

If they take the 1 EP, as we've seen, the way Mahomes was clicking, the game almost certainly ends up in OT where the team winning the toss has been 10-1 in the playoffs since the format change in '10 or '12 (pretty sure playoffs changed in '12, maybe that's backwards).  So, there's close to a 50/50 chance of winning.  Probably slightly over as the Chefs chance of a FG is <100% but also w/ a ridiculously small chance of a TD.

If they go for 2, it's essentially 4th & goal from the 2.  The Bills have been nearly unstoppable on 4th down down the stretch.  The Sanders drop in the end zone in the game in Cheats land is the only miss that immediately springs to mind.  So, now there's, what, a 2/3's (maybe better?) chance of being up by 4.  The Chefs chances of getting a TD 75 yards away in only 3 plays is small.  So, there's now roughly a 67%-70% chance of winning if the Bills go for 2 (67% chance of having close to 100% chance of winning & a 33% chance of having a slightly non zero % chance of winning failing the 2 pointer, figure what, a 10% chance of stopping a FG drive, maybe only 5%?).  That seems a lot better than just over a 50% chance of winning - 5-10% of winning in regulation & 50% in OT.

I understand that it's a pretty high percentage gamble, but still a gamble to go for the 2. 

I am not a gambler at heart.

I would still take the 1 point AND play lights out defense with only two down linemen and have all my fastest guys out there for 2 plays and do whatever it takes to keep them out of FG range.

• Like (+1) 1

Every decision was super conservative from the moment the go ahead TD was scored.  The XP, the kickoff, the defense for 2 ***** plays in a row.  The most conservative approach was taken in each case.  McDermott and/or the coaching staff played scared and froze/choked.

Hopefully they/McDermott learn from this.  Still hope both head coordinators are elsewhere next year, but I'll also be keeping an eye on McDermott because he's not a great close game coach and we kinda need that very badly.  Maybe he's taken us as far as he's able?

21 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Brandon Beane has his work cut out for him.  We are so close yet so far away.  This offseason is huge. 

Sounds like it will be just as much fun to watch all the deals being made as were some of the games this season.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It's been 3 days and they haven't fired Leslie Frasier, guess they aren't serious about winning. 

hehe..and McD as well .

"I wish our execution was better"   and we wish you would just admit that you blew it. We would have much more respect for you for that.

16 minutes ago, calti said:

hehe..and McD as well .

"I wish our execution was better"   and we wish you would just admit that you blew it. We would have much more respect for you for that.

So who do we want to coach the Bills next? Ralph Krueger?

5 hours ago, FogBat said:

So who do we want to coach the Bills next? Ralph Krueger?

I want McD back. He is a glaringly bad time mgr and has some serious brainfarts like the historic ones on Sunday. But he is a really good guy and he is a tremendous motivator and the players love him..or at least they used to,.

Now the Coordinators are very good as well. Frazier overall did a nice job this yr.

We need an experienced(not too experienced like early dementia stuff) guy to be our assistant head Coach.  A guy who can 'manage' critical decisions during a bills game. Consult with McD..Tell him NOT to blow this second half timeout just for the hell of it And dont play prevent D on a team with 3 timeouts remaining and 3 points behind. etc etc etc. A guy betw 55 and 73 who doesnt like the lime light  but was a trusted assistant  in a great organization.

Congrats on a great season to McD Frazier and Daboll.

On 1/25/2022 at 7:03 PM, The Ghost of Yuri said:

the Pegulas cut bait and clean house, coaching-wise.

So who do they hire?

Belichick.  No other coach could more reliably delivery a Super Bowl victory to the Bills.

Hahahaha.... I'm not the only one who would suggest this!  😄

7 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Hahahaha.... I'm not the only one who would suggest this!  😄

And how old is this caller?

I admit that I would have said something this foolish in my younger days. In fact, I’ve done so on here in the past. Numerous times. Nonetheless, I think it’s safe to say that most of us are much happier with the current FO in place - including ownership. (Yes, I did say that. FIFM if you disagree.)

When *I* made the remark, it was just after the presser where McDermott blamed the loss on "execution" of special teams and defense rather than coaching.  If there had been blowback from the players (which I haven't really heard about any thus far) against McD, I ran through the thought experiment of "who should be brought in if McD is fired?"  If we *had* to change, it would be interesting what Belichick would do with this team.  I think all the reasons we hate him now would become reasons to like him, especially his tactical execution on game day.

That said, I made the suggestion as much to get a rise out of the forum as anything else, but it posted near the bottom of a page and I don't think many people saw it anyway.

1 hour ago, FogBat said:

And how old is this caller?

I admit that I would have said something this foolish in my younger days. In fact, I’ve done so on here in the past. Numerous times. Nonetheless, I think it’s safe to say that most of us are much happier with the current FO in place - including ownership. (Yes, I did say that. FIFM if you disagree.)

What does that mean?

I would not want Belichick here for any reason.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Denver hire Packers OC Hackett as coach. A lot of smoke that Rodgers and Adams might follow him there.

Are we looking at Daboll to Miami and Frazier to the Giants?  Wouldn’t bother me at all.

It can't be too long before the Alabama O-Line coach is announced as the Donkey's new OC, right?  Obviously.

On 1/25/2022 at 5:49 PM, calti said:

The Bills choked in every close game this year.......

Thats the problem.

If anything, the season opener was a fluke. It was thankfully not a portend of things to come.

But that loss to Jacksonville was one where I wish I was wrong when I called it. It’s just that when I read how dinged up the OL was that week, I had a feeling that we would be in trouble and I was proven right (unfortunately).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.