2021 Buffalo Bills

Brawndo

McDermott is still getting out coached by Reid. However, I think (hope) he can learn from It and have a better solution next time they are faced with a similar situation 

Not withstanding the 4th and 1 where they punted, he has become more aggressive lately.  
hopefully he will figure out how to defend 13 seconds. Stay aggressive. Fortune favours the bold 

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

And my irrelevant opinion:  2 minutes and 13 seconds left would be dangerous.  13 seconds should not be regardless of qb talent.   Totally inexcusable and embarrassing.  

Is it? 13 seconds is three plays. You have two plays, that can go anywhere in the field, to gain 35 yards with Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce. 

I don’t think that’s as hard as you think.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

Is it? 13 seconds is three plays. You have two plays, that can go anywhere in the field, to gain 35 yards with Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce. 

In most games I've watched 13 seconds doesn't get you points after the opposing offense just scored a touchdown. 

Against a highly touted defense?  It should be damn hard.  

5 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

In most games I've watched 13 seconds doesn't get you points after the opposing offense just scored a touchdown. 

You can talk in generalities . I’m talking specifics. They had two plays to gain 35 yards. That’s one average length throw with a pass interference. They have one of the top quarterbacks, with one of the strongest arms, with one of the fastest receivers and one of the best tight ends. 13 seconds is irrelevant. They have two plays to gain 35 yards. I think you can find multiple instances in a game where 35 yards was gained in two plays.

Let’s not make it sound like they are trying to discover cold fusion.

• Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, SDS said:

You can talk in generalities . I’m talking specifics. They had two plays to gain 35 yards. That’s one average length throw with a pass interference. They have one of the top quarterbacks, with one of the strongest arms, with one of the fastest receivers and one of the best tight ends. 13 seconds is irrelevant. They have two plays to gain 35 yards. I think you can find multiple instances in a game where 35 yards was gained in two plays.

Let’s not make it sound like they are trying to discover cold fusion.

This is all true, and as I've mentioned, KC was playing so well it might not have mattered, but the Bills made mistakes on the kickoff and on the defense they played on those 2 plays.  Better choices would've increased their percentages of getting out of there alive.

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Daboll has His Second Interview with the Giants today or tomorrow. 

Allen hinted in an interview today that Ken Dorsey is His Preference as replacement OC

IIRC During the WC Card at Houston, Allen’s First Playoff Game, the Bills Defense had Houston in a 3 and 17; during the final drive, the Bills deployed a similar defense and Houston got the First Down.

Mahomes, Kelce and Hill exerted Their Will against the Bills Defense yesterday, but as Joe Buscaglia of the Athletic put, the Final 13 Second Defense was set up as if The Chiefs had no timeouts and the Bills were leading by more than three. 
Doing that on two consecutive plays is concerning. 

So concerning that we really have to wonder if Frazier was having some kind of a panic attack or other physical problem when play was going on. a Junior League coach knows better.  

3 hours ago, SDS said:

especially when you dont pressure a great QB and you give them tons of room underneath.We sure made it easy on them.

1 hour ago, calti said:

especially when you dont pressure a great QB and you give them tons of room underneath.We sure made it easy on them.

I’m not defending anything the Bills did. I’m just pointing out that gaining 35 yards in two plays isn’t exactly balancing three eggs on top of one another. 

13 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I agree in most games.

Sunday night was not *most games*.  You have to defend that 13 seconds, especially against the Chiefs, as if it's 13 minutes.

The Bills had that game if they played to win and not to tie or worse.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Daboll has His Second Interview with the Giants today or tomorrow. 

Allen hinted in an interview today that Ken Dorsey is His Preference as replacement OC

IIRC During the WC Card at Houston, Allen’s First Playoff Game, the Bills Defense had Houston in a 3 and 17; during the final drive, the Bills deployed a similar defense and Houston got the First Down.

Mahomes, Kelce and Hill exerted Their Will against the Bills Defense yesterday, but as Joe Buscaglia of the Athletic put, the Final 13 Second Defense was set up as if The Chiefs had no timeouts and the Bills were leading by more than three. 
Doing that on two consecutive plays is concerning. 

Frasier needs to go. His "playing not to lose" instead of "playing to win" mentality cost us a game and it isn't the first time. Seems like most times he plays a good QB, that defense gets exposed and the in game corrections never come. 

My other thought today is how is it possible to run two plays and cover the distance the Chiefs did in 10 seconds? I probably don't have the interest level to watch the replay, but was there a home field clock at work? If not (and I doubt there was, otherwise we'd have heard about it), it's pretty amazing execution by the Chiefs.

Not that it matters, but one second was added (from 7 to 8 seconds) after the first play, when 7 seconds seemed to be the right time. Then the clock didn't start on the second play until Mahomes was dropping back. (I think the time is officially kept on the field.)

46 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

My other thought today is how is it possible to run two plays and cover the distance the Chiefs did in 10 seconds? I probably don't have the interest level to watch the replay, but was there a home field clock at work? If not (and I doubt there was, otherwise we'd have heard about it), it's pretty amazing execution by the Chiefs.

Five seconds for a play that doesn’t include a quarterback running sideline to sideline is about right.

People use the phrase “13 seconds“ because it adds drama to their statement. The Chiefs had three plays  as long as they didn’t unnecessarily mess around. They had three timeouts. The third play only needed one second left on the clock.

You can also run three plays in two minutes if you wish and no one calls time out.

The number of plays that could be executed and the distance they had to cover are the two important constraints here.

57 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

TaroT's suggestion that the Bills should have gone for two to take a four-point lead is still with me. It almost seems like a no-brainer.

It really is a tough one.  I can see the arguement for both.

If you miss on the 2 point convert a FG for the Chiefs and the Bills lose by 1 on the final play.  You make it you take away the FG tie with 13 seconds left.

If I was McD ... I'd kick the extra point, BUT ... I would play so tight D for those 13 seconds ... two plays realistically and 10 seconds for the Chiefs to get into FG range and then try the kick.  I would not have given them an inch in those 2 plays.  This was not week 5.  What the hell were the Bills trying to prevent in those 10 seconds?

And for those saying that if the Bills had beaten the lowly Jags and hosted the game ... I understand the point, but IMO home field meant nothing on Sunday.

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
extra letters are never needed ... more goodly now
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, SDS said:

Five seconds for a play that doesn’t include a quarterback running sideline to sideline is about right.

People use the phrase “13 seconds“ because it adds drama to their statement. The Chiefs had three plays  as long as they didn’t unnecessarily mess around. They had three timeouts. The third play only needed one second left on the clock.

You can also run three plays in two minutes if you wish and no one calls time out.

The number of plays that could be executed and the distance they had to cover are the two important constraints here.

The three timeouts were the most important factor for KC. It meant they had the entire field at their disposal and were not confined to the sidelines. By extension, it meant we had to defend the entire field, but for some reason we chose not to play it that way. KC could keep us honest and we should have done the same. 

We saw it most of the year, teams that targeted the middle of the field against Buffalo and could get players there, had a lot of success because the corners were just okay, the safeties were 20 yards away, and the linebackers aren't that good in coverage. I need Beane to seriously evaluate that defense and be honest with the coaches about who is staying because you can't run this back again. You tried pass rush and that didn't work. You tried setting the safeties 50yrds back and that failed miserably, you need to make personnel changes. 

59 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What I don't understand is how the Bills are going to play KC in KC again next season? 

My understanding is that the divisional rotation keeps a standard home/road pattern for each team (ie the bills play the afc North every 3 years and nfc north every 4, and they alternate home and road on that pattern). It's possible that the afc version does sets of 2 home/road games so buffalo would be at Pittsburgh in 2000 and 2003, and home in 2006 and 2009. Im not sure about that one. (Years are also wrong, this is just a hypothetical example)

Then a similar rotation is employed for the two afc opponents you are scheduled from the other 2 afc divisions you don't play that year. 

It can line up so that you get 3 regular season games in a row in one building I believe, but I also believe you can't get more than 3 in a row. I might be off by a game or two in any of this explanation. And then of course playoff games depend entirely on seeding. 

No, wait. The other poster has it right, Bills go to KC very year because white Americans are stained with an unabsolvable and uniquely evil original sin 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.