Sabres Covid List Cozens, Lazar and Risto off the list 2/16. Mittlestadt is the only remaining Sabre on the List

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about vaccines?

Vaccines are fine when their position in the line is ready to receive it. 

A third company, Johnson and Johnson, is close to getting their single shot vaccine approved. So in another month or two the availability should be substantially better. I have no doubt that when that time comes the league will do what is necessary to acquire enough stock to meet their needs. They just need to wait their turn. 

I understand your argument that relatively speaking that the amount of vaccine required is miniscule compared to the supply. The problem with that argument is that a number of other factions can use that same argument to jump the line ahead of you. Again, just wait your turn. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, JohnC said:

A third company, Johnson and Johnson, is close to getting their single shot vaccine approved. So in another month or two the availability should be substantially better. I have no doubt that when that time comes the league will do what is necessary to acquire enough stock to meet their needs. They just need to wait their turn. 

I understand your argument that relatively speaking that the amount of vaccine required is miniscule compared to the supply. The problem with that argument is that a number of other factions can use that same argument to jump the line ahead of you. Again, just wait your turn. 

You nailed it. Hockey is what curls Georgia's toes. There are innumerable hockeys in our society. Soap operas. esports. Ladies volleyball (pony tails, etc.).

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

NFL only had one game a week and plenty of time to weed things out and decide

NHL is playing every other day

NFL also had a ton more players, and didn't throw a team out there to play the morning of receiving a positive test.

• Like (+1) 1

The NHL tried to be cheap and didn't test frequently enough and use rapid testing.  They also refused to get rid of seats behind benches in arenas where fans are allowed.  They didn't cancel games when they should have.  The owners are losing their shirts this year with the CBA and they are skimping to save every penny at the risk of player safety.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

If the vaccine supply is no longer a bottleneck, why not just vaccinate everyone en masse?   There's people in the first group who don't want the vaccine, at what point and who makes the decision to move on to the next group?    The only reason there's a triage is because of limited vaccine supply, but it sounds like that won't be an issue here maybe relatively soon with the J&J vaccine hitting the market.   

Serious question:  is the NHL doing worse in managing the virus than the NBA is?  Has anyone seen any good analysis on this?  My sense without looking into it is that the 2 leagues are doing about the same, and that the NHL has more players affected mostly because it has larger rosters.

If that's true, I think it's fair to note that the NBA's season has been somewhat bumpy but is overall going reasonably well, with plenty of high-level play and a number of elite teams in contention.  The NHL has had a number of noteworthy hiccups but the sample size is smaller because they started 3-4 weeks later.  I'd also say that there have been a number of high-level NHL games between high-end teams.

31 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question:  is the NHL doing worse in managing the virus than the NBA is?  Has anyone seen any good analysis on this?  My sense without looking into it is that the 2 leagues are doing about the same, and that the NHL has more players affected mostly because it has larger rosters.

If that's true, I think it's fair to note that the NBA's season has been somewhat bumpy but is overall going reasonably well, with plenty of high-level play and a number of elite teams in contention.  The NHL has had a number of noteworthy hiccups but the sample size is smaller because they started 3-4 weeks later.  I'd also say that there have been a number of high-level NHL games between high-end teams.

I'm going to stop posting for a few weeks to cool off. Your deleting of my post and private criticism and penalizing for my comments on the vaccine and the Covid situation is perplexing. Nothing that I said was political. Everything I said was an accurate description of the situation. If you can't handle a view that you disagree with or upsets you then that is your issue, and not mine. The purpose of a board is to exchange views, sometimes in a robust fashion but also in a respectful way. That's what I have always strived to do. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The NBA is using rapid tests so positive players are quarantined more quickly 

More social distancing in the locker room and on benches as players are more spread out. 

NHL players are in closer for prolonged periods of time, face offs puck battles along the boards.

The glass, colder conditions and humidity of the ice and enclosed playing surface make for a better environment for player to player transmission 

23 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Every time I see Bill Daly or the NHLPA state that they do not currently have evidence of cross-team transmission, I throw up in my mouth and wonder how the ***** they claim ignorance to the well-known hockey outbreak documented by the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6941a4.htm

They know cross-team transmission exists and it's revolting that they willfully and obviously ignore its existence while simultaneously claiming to have experts guiding protocol.

I'm starting to believe this is a legal consideration (and potentially a financial consideration) for both the NHL and NHLPA and not only a health consideration.  They're not interested in acknowledging transmission during games.  Maybe they're worried government guidelines and regulations won't allow them to play games if they acknowledge that games can spread the virus?  Maybe they're worried players and staff who get infected could sue?  Maybe they're worried that fan support of a season could wane if games are acknowledged as unsafe?

The NHL needs to prevent infected players and players exposed to infected players from playing in games because games spread the virus.

The NHL will say that unlike these beer leaguers who are more prone to community spread,  our players are tested on a daily basis and the NHL Players are in a more controlled environment therefore the method of spread mentioned in this CDC Case Report does not apply to the league. 

The NHL Conclusions will be proven to be absolute bull *****

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The NBA is using rapid tests so positive players are quarantined more quickly 

More social distancing in the locker room and on benches as players are more spread out. 

NHL players are in closer for prolonged periods of time, face offs puck battles along the boards.

The glass, colder conditions and humidity of the ice and enclosed playing surface make for a better environment for player to player transmission 

I can totally see that each of these would be a logical contributing factor to the NHL having worse results than the NBA.  I'm more curious as to whether the NHL in fact has worse results.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I can totally see that each of these would be a logical contributing factor to the NHL having worse results than the NBA.  I'm more curious as to whether the NHL in fact has worse results.

Five NHL Teams are in quarantine and 90 players listed as under going Covid Protocols.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say hell yes they do 

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Five NHL Teams are in quarantine and 90 players listed as under going Covid Protocols.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say hell yes they do 

As a scientist, you know that ya need the data before ya can come to any conclusions, innit?

17 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

As a scientist, you know that ya need the data before ya can come to any conclusions, innit?

My data points are five teams Buffalo, Colorado, Las Vegas, New Jersey and St Louis being shut down.

90 out of 917 players or just under 10 percent of the players league in Covid Protocol at the present time. 

There are 917 players in the NHL, 23 rostered players and 6 taxi squad players per organization.

The NBA which started three weeks before the NHL has had 24 games postponed compared to 18 games for the NHL, however with 17 of 29 players in protocol the Devils will probably add to that total.

Based on this data, I can hypothesize that the NBA is doing a better job thus far

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Games are postponed; Cozens and Lazar added to List

Do we have solid answer for what it means to be on “the NHL’s Covid protocol list”?

It seems purposely vague.  It doesn’t mean that they are positive, right?  It could just be that they came into contact with someone who was or something like that, right?

I really don’t know.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Curt said:

Do we have solid answer for what it means to be on “the NHL’s Covid protocol list”?

It seems purposely vague.  It doesn’t mean that they are positive, right?  It could just be that they came into contact with someone who was or something like that, right?

I really don’t know.

They are purposely vague on that. 

Although it would make sense that Players that would have to quarantine because of contact tracing would be added quickly for example Risto and Hall. On the other hand players added after the team has been in quarantine for a few days such as Cozens and Lazar are probably positive 

• Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.