2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is a really good read. 

Coming back to this again.  I love this guy’s format!  This is something that is really missing from the publicly available stuff on hockey prospects.  The way that aspects are discussed specifically and in detail promotes actual discussion.

It’s something that Scouch also does well, though he breaks up the skills in a different way.

The Athletic polled seven scouts about who they thought should go Number One in the Draft. 

Three said Power, Two said Beniers, one said Eklund, the other did not feel comfortable signing based on lack of live viewings making a determination.

http://NHL Scouts Poll 2021: Is Owen Power the clear-cut No. 1? Who is most underrated?

It's really an unusual year.  We have Sabres fans, credibly I think, stating with conviction that Eklund should be our pick at #1.  Yet the mock draft that the two NHL writers (Kimelman and Morreale) published yesterday has Eklund going 5th or 9th.  As a fan who loves the draft but acknowledges he gets little opportunity to see any of these players outside of a view highlight videos, it is hard to process.

In a way it would be more fun (not better, but more enjoyable) if we picked 6th or 7th this year as we could watch and see who falls to us. Of course, that 1st pick of round 2 may prove valuable as a lot of teams, including us, should have a player still available after round 1 who they would have picked in the high teens or low 20's.

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The Athletic polled seven scouts about who they thought should go Number One in the Draft. 

Three said Power, Two said Beniers, one said Eklund, the other did not feel comfortable signing based on lack of live viewings making a determination.

http://NHL Scouts Poll 2021: Is Owen Power the clear-cut No. 1? Who is most underrated?

Hopefully the "other scout" doesn't work for the Sabres.  Maybe one of our former scouts.  😏

2 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

It's really an unusual year.  We have Sabres fans, credibly I think, stating with conviction that Eklund should be our pick at #1.  Yet the mock draft that the two NHL writers (Kimelman and Morreale) published yesterday has Eklund going 5th or 9th.  As a fan who loves the draft but acknowledges he gets little opportunity to see any of these players outside of a view highlight videos, it is hard to process.

In a way it would be more fun (not better, but more enjoyable) if we picked 6th or 7th this year as we could watch and see who falls to us. Of course, that 1st pick of round 2 may prove valuable as a lot of teams, including us, should have a player still available after round 1 who they would have picked in the high teens or low 20's.

Be ready for the huge backlash Friday when the Sabres don’t take Power.

Part will be from Sabres fans, but most of it will be from outside fans who are being conditioned right now by the talking heads to think Power is the guy. I expect a lot of “LOL, the Sabres gonna Sabre”

Might be wishful thinking on my part, but I think Eklund is the best player available and I have a good feeling he’s ours.

The numbers in parens are where others rank the player, it's helpful to me for ordering. The rakish: number is the 17th year raw valuation using my app.  Defensemen didn't get the raw number because it's on a different scale. Goaltending is a lark, mostly to test some ideas.

Dylan Guenther (2-12) rakish:1320 (12 games)
Owen Power
Matt Beniers (1-18) rakish:1012
William Eklund (2-10) rakish:1125
Cole Sillinger (10-20) rakish:747
Mason McTavish
Brandt Clarke
Simon Edvinsson (2-11) D
Logan Stankoven (13-44) rakish:732
Sebastian Cossa (14-32) G (Only select one goaltender)
Anton Olsson (32-98) - D
Olen Zellweger (31-88)  D
Connor Roulette (39-95) rakish:675
Brett Harrison (29-84) rakish:694 (not many games)
Samu Salminen (31-98) rakish:652
Ville Koivunen -- (30-91) rakish:580
Riley Kidney -- (70-92) rakish:600
Zachary L'Heureux (11-35) rakish:514
Xavier Bourgault (15-36) rakish:552
William Stromgren  (21-92) rakish:557,543
Jack O'Brien (84-215) rakish:544
Fyodor Svechkov (9-37) rakish:534
Colton Dach -- (50-96) rakish:496
Victor Stjernborg -- (43-71) rakish:475
Niko Huuhtanen (117-157) heavy rakish:328
Simon Knak -- overager (86 NA css)
Isaac Belliveau (62-239) D
William Trudeau (83-200) D
Jack Bar (37-87)
Mikey Milne -- (162 NA css) rakish:512
Eric Alarie  -- (51 NA css)  rakish:474
Olivier Nadeau (74-101) rakish:461
Rhett Rhinehart - overager
Benjamin Gaudreau (Only select one goaltender)
Thomas Milic (only select one goaltender)
Oliver Satny (Only select one goaltender)
Jeremi Tammela -- (112 EU css) tiny rakish:406
Matic Török
Bogdan Krokhalyov
Viktor Hurtig -- overager (51 EU css) huge
Hunter McKown - overager
Kevin Pasche 
Nikolas Hurtubise 
Sebastian Trygg 

Edited by rakish
The last 3 picks I use my picks no matter, it doesn't matter if I have 2 or 3 goaltenders already

9 minutes ago, rakish said:

The numbers in parens are where others rank the player, it's helpful to me for ordering. The rakish: number is the 17th year raw valuation using my app.  Defensemen didn't get the raw number because it's on a different scale. Goaltending is a lark, mostly to test some ideas.

Owen Power
Mason McTavish
Brandt Clarke
Simon Edvinsson (2-11) D
Anton Olsson (32-98) - D
Jack Bar (37-87)
Matic Török
Bogdan Krokhalyov
Hunter McKown - overager
Kevin Pasche 
Nikolas Hurtubise 
Sebastian Trygg 

Are you "eye testing" to alter your ranks when your model's raw numbers are close?  (I.e. why is Beniers ahead of Eklund and L'Heureux ahead of the next 4 guys?)

Just now, Taro T said:

Are you "eye testing" to alter your ranks when your model's raw numbers are close?  (I.e. why is Beniers ahead of Eklund and L'Heureux ahead of the next 4 guys?)

One issue is you're not seeing age 16, which would complicate things for the viewer. The second is that I rely on @pi2000 and @LGR4GM to tell me whether Power can play defense, or he can't. Whether you can plan on Beniers covering the other teams best players or not. I could spend hundreds of hours watching tape trying to decide on Power, but Pi and Liger tell me. The third, if I put L'Heureux behind O'Brien, there is zero chance of getting L'Heureux. My order, it's possible I get both. There are some picks that can't happen, like Fyodor Svechkov, but that's pure virtue signalling.

If I was more organized, I had planned on having the MODO player I looked at on my board for @MODO Hockey, and the Halifax player for NS, and the Penn St player for the guy Drane used to go on about in the Sabres hierarchy, starts with a B.

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, rakish said:

Owen Power
Mason McTavish
Brandt Clarke
Simon Edvinsson (2-11) D
Anton Olsson (32-98) - D
Jack Bar (37-87)
Matic Török
Bogdan Krokhalyov
Hunter McKown - overager
Kevin Pasche 
Nikolas Hurtubise 
Sebastian Trygg 

tenor.gif

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Be ready for the huge backlash Friday when the Sabres don’t take Power.

Part will be from Sabres fans, but most of it will be from outside fans who are being conditioned right now by the talking heads to think Power is the guy. I expect a lot of “LOL, the Sabres gonna Sabre”

Might be wishful thinking on my part, but I think Eklund is the best player available and I have a good feeling he’s ours.

Nah.

It's Power.

6 hours ago, rakish said:

One issue is you're not seeing age 16, which would complicate things for the viewer. The second is that I rely on @pi2000 and @LGR4GM to tell me whether Power can play defense, or he can't. Whether you can plan on Beniers covering the other teams best players or not. I could spend hundreds of hours watching tape trying to decide on Power, but Pi and Liger tell me. The third, if I put L'Heureux behind O'Brien, there is zero chance of getting L'Heureux. My order, it's possible I get both. There are some picks that can't happen, like Fyodor Svechkov, but that's pure virtue signalling.

If I was more organized, I had planned on having the MODO player I looked at on my board for @MODO Hockey, and the Halifax player for NS, and the Penn St player for the guy Drane used to go on about in the Sabres hierarchy, starts with a B.

He needs to work on his defensive game, as does any 18yo prospect.  

That said, the growth in his game throughout the season and at the World's is why I would take him #1.    

Additionally, his size and reach allow him to overcome positional deficiencies at his age.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.