2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Robert Orr is another name but I would bet money he slips into the 3rd which I think will end up being a mistake. 

Okay now you’re just making up names. How many Sebastian Ahos are in this draft?

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

And a top goalie named Wallstadt

Ancestors paying tribute to English & German heritage: Wall-City.  What better name for a goalie can you get?  😉

He's not just a wall, he's an entire CITY of Wall, or perhaps he's that barricade surrounding the entire city.  Either way, Adams would be a fool not to take him #1.  (Ducks from whatever it is Liger is throwing now.  😉 )

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I said the one with IMPRESSIVE plays.

I’m just fooling around, but seriously it’s not particularly impressive, and there are a couple plays in there that I would actually consider bad plays.  It does do a decent job of showcasing the best facet of Power’s game, his transition offense.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I said the one with IMPRESSIVE plays.

I’m just fooling around, but seriously it’s not particularly impressive, and there are a couple plays in there that I would actually consider bad plays.  It does do a decent job of showcasing the best facet of Power’s game, his transition offense.

He was an 18 year old playing against 23, 24 year olds at Michigan.  His improvement throughout the season and during the Worlds was exceptional. 

Put him in the OHL against kids his own age and who knows what kind of stats he'd have put up.

47 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He was an 18 year old playing against 23, 24 year olds at Michigan.  His improvement throughout the season and during the Worlds was exceptional. 

Put him in the OHL against kids his own age and who knows what kind of stats he'd have put up.

Did they play BYU every game?

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

A few impressive plays in the mix there.

- The assist at 1:40 is a beauty. Forward is walking in on his opposite wing and he hits them with a pass that could not have been better. Player pots it. He makes it routine but I don't remember the last time I saw a Sabres defensemen make that play consistently.

- The forced turnover at 2:03. He's protecting the net on the PK as the opposing player skates in the corner. Player picks up speed behind the net but Power recognizes the play, shifts sides of the net, poke checks the puck, gives the player a "***** you, sit down" shove and quickly gives a perfect outlet pass to move the puck up ice. He turns his hips at 2:05 still several strides away from where the opposing player and he will eventually meet. His teammate has the puck at 2:08. In less than four seconds a player on the PP is removed from the puck, sent to the ice and his team is moving out of their own end. Textbook.

- Assist at 2:27. Same as the first note but this time he's doing it in stride after taking the puck end to end for another perfect pass to a finisher.

- Assist at 3:02. He skates well along the blue line, getting all the action heading in his direction but quickly turns the puck back to his cycling teammate and it results in a goal.

- Puck control at 3:14. Puck is dumped into his end. He gets it under control and with a player all over him skates it around the net and out of his zone, leading to an offensive opportunity.

- If you're not impressed by the goal at 3:27 you're high.

You're not going to find a ton of "impressive"/"eye popping" plays out of a defensemen. Part of that is by design of the position they play. But there were definitely some good plays there.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I do understand the context of the league he played in.

What do you think he improved on most throughout the season?

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I do understand the context of the league he played in.

What do you think he improved on most throughout the season?

Power primarily improved his reads and defensive gap control. He still gives up the blueline far too much for my liking. 

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Can say this about Beniers, Eklund, McTavish, Clarke this season. They all played in the ncaa or men's pro leagues. 

Here's a bad mock draft for you to look at. 

Buffalo Sabres
Owen Power, LHD, Michigan-Big Ten (1)
Samu Tuomaala, RW, Karpat-Finland Jr. (33)
Chase Stillman, RW, Sudbury-OHL (53)
Jakub Brabenec, C, Brno-Czech Extraliga (88)
Jack Matier, RHD, Ottawa-OHL (95)
Kyle Kukkonen, C, Maple Grove-US High School (97)
Andrei Buyalski, C, Dubuque-USHL (159)
Taige Harding, LHD, Fort McMurray-AJHL (161)
Carl Lindbom, G, Djurgarden-Swedn Jr. (188)
Artur Cholach, LHD, Kiev-Ukraine (193)

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Ha! It appears Pronman forgot that JBot is now in Seattle and we can draft from the CHL again.

We'll see. The draft last year yielded Botterill-congruent results, but as Liger has pointed out, we didn't have very many picks. 

Adams has been here a while now and we have 9 picks during rounds 2-7: I think it's safe to say if we go 0-fer on the CHL during those 9 picks, the avoidance of the CHL outside the first round has continued organizationally beyond Botterill. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.